PDA

View Full Version : Does Disney open their resorts to full capacity at less crowded times?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
08-26-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm curious about this because I often check the Disney site for availablilty just to see about a last minute trip (wishful thinking). Often it's during the historically slower times of the year.

A lot of times, anywhere from 1 week to 1 month or so before the time I'm looking, a majority of the resorts will show no availability at all, usually with the exception of the Deluxe resorts, and many times even then it's the top of the line rooms.

Mind you, this isn't the President's Day/Spring Break/July-August times I'm talking about, it's times like January, September-October, and the slow December times.

So, does Disney keep the resorts available to book to full 100% capacity during those times, or do they cut back the number of room available, and when they sell out, that's it?

Strmchsr
08-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Disney only opens the number of rooms they think they can fill. It doesn't make financial sense for them to have staff and operating budget for 100% capacity if they're only going to have 70% so they adjust accordingly. This is why resort availability is the absolute worst predictor of crowd size. If WDW does their job right then they should stay at no availability all the time. Sometimes they'll open up more rooms if they fill up available rooms quickly.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Strmchsr is absolutely correct. That would make absolutely no sense at all. It would cost more money to operate than they would be making if they were at 100% during slow seasons. And even during peak seasons, I believe they still need to have a set number of rooms available in case of emergencies.