PDA

View Full Version : GF or Poly

pixiesmimi
08-25-2008, 10:48 PM
We are trying to decide where to stay for our 40th Anniversary next year in August. What are the pros and cons of both? We have been to the GF to eat and looked around a little and to the Poly for Breakfast. Other than that, we know nothing about them. Any hints as to which rooms, floors, buildings are best in each?
Thanks!:thumbsup:

jray21
08-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Poly, Poly, Poly.

I stayed in both earlier this year and I liked Poly a lot better. I had a standard room at Poly, and was upgraded to concierge for free at GF. Even if I was offered a free upgrade at GF, I would probably still take the standard at Poly. The rooms are newer at the Poly, and much nicer. The plasma TV at Poly is great, and there is much more storage and drawers at the poly. The ambiance is a lot nicer, and relaxing, wheras the GF was dead silent.

Aggie97
08-25-2008, 11:26 PM
We've loved staying at both resorts, but we keep returning to the Polynesian every year. The primary reasons why we usually pick the Polynesian over the GF are: 1) the Polynesian's lush tropical atmosphere is unique and makes it feel like a vacation-within-a-vacation, and 2) we really like being able to walk to the TTC from the Polynesian to catch the Epcot monorail. I don't think you can go wrong with either resort, though. Have a wonderful time! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
08-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Both resorts have a totally different feel to them. We've been to the GF many times to eat, but have no desire to stay there. It's the Poly for us all the way!

MicMouse
08-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Since its your anniversary, why not stay at the Grand Floridian? Its such a beautiful resort!

I've stayed at both the GF and Poly and if I had to choose, I would stay at the GF. To me, the GF seemed to be less busy and a lot more quiet. The Poly was nice, but there were just too many people coming and going.

hotelhound
08-26-2008, 11:42 AM
My wife and I stayed booked a stay here on our 5th anniversary and it was everything we were expecting. When the manager learned it was our anniversary at check in we were moved to a beautiful corner room with views of the Poly and the Magic Kingdom. Also, a beautiful basket with champagne and sparkling cider (my wife was visibly pregnant at the time) were waiting for us when we returned to the room after our first meal...i'm sure our special event would have been recognized at the Poly as well....

Minnie Imagineer
08-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I love Poly, it is fun and kid-friendly which might not be what you are going for. But at night poly can be romantic. You can go on the beach and watch the electrical water pagent and mk fireworks.
I've never stayed at GF but its pretty and seems like an anniversary type-place!

SBETigg
08-26-2008, 12:24 PM
We prefer the GF, but it really depends on your taste. The Polynesian is our second favorite.

The GF is relaxed elegance, great shops, lovely rooms, two fantastic pools, and hot tubs. The Polynesian is casual, exotic, and you can feel whisked away to an island paradise if you walk the grounds and allow yourself to get lost in the fantasy. But the volcano pool is often crowded and the quiet pool is nothing special. No hot tub. Both have great lounges and restaurants. The GF has guest laundry in each building, but the Poly has one central guest laundry location. Otherwise, they are both amazing resorts in excellent locations.

SurferStitch
08-26-2008, 12:26 PM
DH and I have stayed at the GF many times (honeymoon plus many return trips), and will be there again in October for our 12th anniversary. It's our favorite resort on property. It's elegant, yet comfy. Nice and quiet, especially if you stay in one of the buildings other than the main building (even though our concierge room on the Royal Palm level in the main building was beautiful).

We stayed at the Poly once, last December. We really enjoyed our stay, and would stay there again, but the relaxed elegance of the GF keeps drawing us back.

By the way....the GF has the plasma TV's, and a large chest of drawers for clothing. They also have a nice big closet. I found the storage to be equal to the Poly.

Spindrift
08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
If you haven't stayed at either, I don't think you're can make a mistake by picking either one. We've stayed at the Poly a couple times and are going to the GF next month for the first time.

pixiesmimi
08-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Can anyone kind of give me an idea of what the rooms look like? I know some here described some of the GF rooms. Thanks! I like the idea of the plasma TV and quiet rooms. Are there preferred rooms or buildings at GF?

TammiMcMan
08-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Can anyone kind of give me an idea of what the rooms look like? I know some here described some of the GF rooms. Thanks! I like the idea of the plasma TV and quiet rooms. Are there preferred rooms or buildings at GF?There are no preferred rooms or buildings at the deluxes. You'll find that both the GF and Poly are a little spread out, but you're still within a few minutes walking distance to everything.

Both resorts offer upgraded levels and rooms though. There are 2 concierges at the GF. One is located in the main building and this is also where the deluxe rooms are located and the honeymoon suites. There is also a lodge concierge, which is a bit smaller scale and has mainly standard room layouts. The Poly has a building set aside for concierge standard rooms and they also have an area with suites, including honeymoon rooms.

I've stayed in one of the larger honeymoon suites at the GF. It was a complimentary upgrade given to us a few years ago from a regular concierge room. It was huge and it was amazing.

Standard rooms are priced by view, which includes garden, water and theme park views. The next level room at the GF is a tower room, which is a bigger room and has a small living room type setup. Then you would go into concierge, deluxe and suites. The Poly has a similar setup with their rooms, but they don't have the tower room level. Both resorts have had their rooms recently renovated and the amenities are pretty similar.

A few differences include the GF having a hot tub where the Poly does not. The GF has pool side cabana rentals. The Poly offers a convenient location to the TTC for ease in getting to Epcot. The Poly has a much larger beach area with hammocks.

I don't think one is any better than the other, people tend to choose based on the theme that appeals to them the most and how the resort makes them feel when they're there.

pixiesmimi
08-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Thank you, Tammi. That helps a little bit. DH says he would choose the GF but I can't make up my mind. I love both. We stayed at CBR last year and I loved the island theme and am leaning towards the Poly but am getting advice from others to go with the GF. Decisions, decisions! :shrug:

andreallybadeggs
08-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Love them both but for an anniversary, I think I would choose the GF. If, however, I was staying for more than 3 or 4 days I would be very tempted to split my stay and enjoy them both.
Happy Anniversary!

pixiesmimi
08-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Love them both but for an anniversary, I think I would choose the GF. If, however, I was staying for more than 3 or 4 days I would be very tempted to split my stay and enjoy them both.
Happy Anniversary!

Hmm! That is an interesting idea. Wonder if DH will go along with that. I have been reading about people doing this and thought it sounded like a lot of trouble but no further apart than they are, it might be an idea. I'm still not sure if I want to spend that much money on a resort we might not be in much but if we were going on a cruise, would probably spend that much anyway.

pixiesmimi
08-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Well, with all the help I got here, DH decided he would like to stay at the Poly. Yea! :yay: :joy: I'm still torn between the two but DH says the GF looks a little too fancy for him. :) He is the outdoors type.:fish: We watched a DVD tonight showing all the resorts. Boy! They all look great to me and wish we could go back often enough to stay at them all. But this is probably the trip of a lifetime for our anniversary and we probably will be going back to the moderates from now on except for special discounts and occasions. I tried to get him to split a stay between the two and at first he was game but then he decided it would waste too much precious time at the parks to pack up and move. I'm with him there! I think we will really enjoy the Poly and can't wait! :clappy: Thanks for all your help!

By the way, do the Deluxes have food courts like the values and moderates?

TammiMcMan
08-30-2008, 12:07 AM
By the way, do the Deluxes have food courts like the values and moderates?No they don't. The Poly does offer a counter service restaurant though, Captain Cooks. There's also the coffee bar and pool bar for drinks and some light snacks.

I think it's wise to choose the theme that you're most drawn to. The only drawback that I can think of is with the king beds. Hopefully a Poly expert can confirm this, but I'm only aware of king beds being available in their honeymoon suites. I don't think you can request one in a regular room. At the GF, they're also guaranteed with the honeymoon suites, but they do also offer some in their standard rooms (you just need to request it on your reservation). Considering it's your anniversary, I don't how important having one big bed is.

pixiesmimi
08-30-2008, 12:38 AM
It would be nice to have the King but I forgot to ask for it. Thanks for letting me know that they might not be available. We can make do without it, though, because they aren't always available in other hotels we stay in. It isn't a big deal to us. Do they have queens? That is kind of strange that Kings aren't available except in the honeymoon suites in a deluxe resort. Usually that is where you find them more often. We even had one in CBR.

Where is the coffee bar located? That in itself sounds good to me. :) We are just used to getting up and eating at the food court before heading out but that won't be a big deal as far as eating elsewhere since we will be so close to the MK. I kind of figured they didn't have one since they have the TS restaurants that the others don't have.

mickeefan
08-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Love all the comments. We have always preferred the Poly, but could not get the bounceback offer. We could for the GF and figured why not. We have never stayed there before.
Besides it will be a great place to celebrate our 50th anniversary.
Any suggestions on building choices? We thought maybe, Boca-Chica.

SBETigg
08-30-2008, 11:08 AM
No they don't. The Poly does offer a counter service restaurant though, Captain Cooks. There's also the coffee bar and pool bar for drinks and some light snacks.

Tammi, the GF also offers a counter service, Gasparilla Grill. Open 24 hours, like Captain Cook's, for premade items. During regular operating hours, they have a nice selection of breakfast items and things like chicken sandwices, burgers, and pizza.

TammiMcMan
08-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Any suggestions on building choices? We thought maybe, Boca-Chica.What view did you book? Boca Chica and Big Pine Key are both very close to the pools and the beach. If you have a garden view room, you could experience some pool noise.

Tammi, the GF also offers a counter service, Gasparilla Grill. Open 24 hours, like Captain Cook's, for premade items. During regular operating hours, they have a nice selection of breakfast items and things like chicken sandwices, burgers, and pizza.Thanks Sherri. I love Gaspie's. I just didn't mention it because the OP had decided on the Poly and I wanted to give that resorts alternatives to table seating.

playdead88
08-30-2008, 12:55 PM
we have yet to stay at the GF or the poly but it is on our list of things to do - we did go and visit both last year and i have to say we were so impressed with the poly - the laid back feel to it was amazing - the GF had more of a romantic/honeymoon feel to it and would be great for an anniversary! the kids were with us at the GF during the visit and we kinda felt like the griswolds and didn't want the kids to touch anything - either way how can you go wrong - happy anniversary! :mickey:

mickeefan
08-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes, we booked a garden view room. Actually we have two rooms and ask that they be connecting.

TammiMcMan
08-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Yes, we booked a garden view room. Actually we have two rooms and ask that they be connecting.If you want the convenience of location, then go with Boca Chica or Big Pine Key. Personally, I like the quieter buildings Sago Cay and Conch Key. The resort is really not that spread out though and you're talking a difference of walking outside your building and being at the pool immediately to walking outside your building and being at the pool in 1-2 minutes.

There are some other tricks, like asking for a larger corner room or a high floor in Boca Chica overlooking Narcoossee's (some obstructed castle views from here). But if connecting rooms is a priority, then you probably don't want to get too detailed with your request. The GF doesn't normally pre-assign rooms anyway, so you can ask about your options when you check-in. They try to pull from available inventory to get you into a room right away, but if you're willing to wait it out, they could have something else that will become available later in the day (after check-outs and housekeeping).

Aggie97
08-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Do they have queens?

Where is the coffee bar located?

They do have queen beds.

The coffee bar is on the second floor of the Great Ceremonial House, near Kona Cafe (the same level as the monorail station).

While Captain Cook's, the Polynesian's CS dining location, doesn't have as large a menu selection as the food courts at moderate and value resorts, it is very good for a quick meal. For breakfast, they have Tonga Toast (YUMMY!), breakfast egg sandwiches and platters, and pastries. For lunch and dinner, there are sandwiches, salads, really tasty flatbread pizzas, and Dole Whips for dessert.

Also, Captain Cook's is open 24 hours for snacks and drinks. :mickey:

pixiesmimi
08-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Thank you! Sounds like just what I needed to know about the CS and coffee. Do you have to request the queen beds and would there be any in the gardenview rooms?

TammiMcMan
08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Do you have to request the queen beds and would there be any in the gardenview rooms?2 queen beds and a daybed are standard in the Poly rooms. I would put in a request for the king bed, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure any standard rooms come that way. It's worth asking for though.

pixiesmimi
08-31-2008, 02:49 PM
2 queen beds and a daybed are standard in the Poly rooms. I would put in a request for the king bed, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure any standard rooms come that way. It's worth asking for though.

Oh, that's great! They must be nice large rooms. I think I will request a King and see what happens. Only problem is will they upgrade us to a more expensive room without asking if we request a King and have paid for a gardenview room? I'm just going to request it and maybe we'll get a complimentary upgrade by me mentioning that it is our 40th anniversary.:fingers:

TammiMcMan
08-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Only problem is will they upgrade us to a more expensive room without asking if we request a King and have paid for a gardenview room?If they do choose to upgrade you, it would be complimentary.

I'm just going to request it and maybe we'll get a complimentary upgrade by me mentioning that it is our 40th anniversary.No harm in that ;) .

mickeefan
08-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Did you have them put on your reservation it is your 40th?
I had them put on ours that it is our 50th.

pixiesmimi
09-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I put it on my form for MJ and hope Karen put it on there. I'm going to check with her to make sure. Last year when we went for our 38th anniversary, I put it on my reservations along with what village we would like to stay in at CBR but they ignored that mostly. I did tell them when we checked in though and they upgraded us to a King room. Things don't always get transmitted right from reservations.

mickeefan
09-01-2008, 12:38 PM
We always use MJ. Wendy makes sure everything is listed. Probably won't make a difference but who knows. Doesn't hurt to let them know.
We hit the 90 day mark today.
Your gonna love it there. Kona and Ohanas are great places to eat. I can't remember the name of it but Kona has a dessert that is a chocolate cake volcano filled with liquid chocolate.