PDA

View Full Version : Sea World Questions

disneyfan328
08-25-2008, 10:43 PM
We are in the pre planning stages of a WDW 2009 Vacation and we are thinking of taking a day out to go to Sea World. We had one close to us in Ohio but alas it is no longer there. Our older daughter loved it when she was younger but our to youngest have never expierienced it as it was closed/changed to Six flags.

We are debating on going but would like some feedback from those that have gone.

1.) We won't be renting a car, so we will probably book transpo via Mears or another bus service. - Does anyone know the price to do this?:confused:

2.) What are the places in Sea World like to eat or is there anywhere close by that we could leave the park to go and eat and then come back.

3.) Is Sea World a one day park? Would we be able to see all of the main shows (ie shamu and the sea lions) as well as the dolphins ect in one day?

4.) We are a family of 5 so cost is looking to be about $250.00. We are debating on not buying Disney park hoppers and using those funds to go to Sea World. (I already posted a question about to hop or not hop) so this is not definetly decided yet but even if we decide to hop we still want to go to Sea World and will just have to save the money to go. Is it worth that kind of money?

Figaro
09-04-2008, 11:16 AM
We are in the pre planning stages of a WDW 2009 Vacation and we are thinking of taking a day out to go to Sea World. We had one close to us in Ohio but alas it is no longer there. Our older daughter loved it when she was younger but our to youngest have never expierienced it as it was closed/changed to Six flags.

We are debating on going but would like some feedback from those that have gone.

1.) We won't be renting a car, so we will probably book transpo via Mears or another bus service. - Does anyone know the price to do this?:confused:

2.) What are the places in Sea World like to eat or is there anywhere close by that we could leave the park to go and eat and then come back.

3.) Is Sea World a one day park? Would we be able to see all of the main shows (ie shamu and the sea lions) as well as the dolphins ect in one day?

4.) We are a family of 5 so cost is looking to be about $250.00. We are debating on not buying Disney park hoppers and using those funds to go to Sea World. (I already posted a question about to hop or not hop) so this is not definetly decided yet but even if we decide to hop we still want to go to Sea World and will just have to save the money to go. Is it worth that kind of money?

2. SeaWorld has good food. I almost live in the SeaWorld parks to be honest. They have Mango Joes next to Shamu Stadium which has fajitas and chicken fingers, you have Voyagers at the Waterfront which has wood fired pizza, pastas, salmon, and BBQ ribs. You also have the Deli which has AWESOME turkey sandwiches... real turkey fresh cut off the turkey, too, not that grocery store stuff. There's also Smoky Creek which has BBQ of all kinds from the south. You can also choose from the various dining experiences... Sharks Underwater Grill, Dine with Shamu, and the Shamu Rocks Dinner Buffet.

3. SeaWorld is easily a one day park if you plan right and skip show to show.... example...

11- Blue Horizons...
1:30 - Believe
4:30 - Clyde & Seamore

In between, you can catch some down time, grab a bite to eat, or check out the other sights like Dolphin Cove/Key West at SeaWorld, Dolphin Nursery, Penguins, Wild Arctic, etc. Make sure you arrive to the shows early!! They fill up FAST and there's often a huge line outside waiting for the stadiums to open. Make sure that if Shamu Rocks is goin on the day you're there, catch it! It's the best show SeaWorld has come up with in a LONG time.

Piglet822
09-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Mears shuttle charges per person, for a family of 5 it is probably more cost effective to do either taxi, towncar, or maybe even rent a car for the day. Look into all your options.
Quicksilver (http://www.quicksilver-tours.com/) is a site sponsor, try them for a quote.

thrillme
09-04-2008, 01:10 PM
I love SeaWorld...Be sure to ride the Atlantis. It's really cool. Yes you can see all the shows in one day plan them first then visit the rest of the park.

I like the food at Seaworld. It's very good. The shark resturant is super nice. Get your reservation fairly early. If you can't get in to eat...go to the bar and have a drink. The kids can get a Roy Rogers or a Shirly Temple if they feel like it. I often enjoy just sitting at the bar.

Keep your eyes open for several street preformers. They are pretty funny.

nls721
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
When we go in October, I plan on taking the Lynx bus to SeaWorld. Departs both Downtown and TTC. Direct ride to SeaWorld and only a couple stops max. It shows 15-20 minute ride. The price on that is $1.75 each way per adult. I'm not sure on kids fares but it is probably cheaper. www.golynx.com

disneyfan328
09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
When we go in October, I plan on taking the Lynx bus to SeaWorld. Departs both Downtown and TTC. Direct ride to SeaWorld and only a couple stops max. It shows 15-20 minute ride. The price on that is $1.75 each way per adult. I'm not sure on kids fares but it is probably cheaper. www.golynx.com

This is more like it. I really don't want to rent a car for just one day. i think it will be more hassle. We can easily take Disney Transportation to the TTC and then hop on this bus from there. Thanks so much for all of the respones. I think Sea World is a definite for our upcoming trip.

one last question. I know about planning for the shows, but is it possible to also get in for the dolphin feeding without missing any shows?

I can't seem to find any show times/guides on their site and I know the kids will want to feed the dolphins. I was told that is only a few times a day and that you have to be at the window waiting in line to buy fish as they only sell so many. Is this only for the dolphins? It seems to me I remember that to be the case at the SW we used to have but I am not sure if its the same for the sea lions. I thought I remember being able to feed them whenever

again thanks for all of the info I appreciate it.

:whale::dolphin:

TwoTinyWings
09-10-2008, 09:59 AM
2. I agree about the food - there is some very good food to be had at SW. It can be a bit pricey, though (as in pricier than WDW in many cases), so keep that in mind. One place I recommend is Voyagers, which is in the (relatively) new Waterfront area. They have the best selection of kids' meals, as well as options for infants, if you need them (Gerber baby fruit/veg packs). In the past, my kids have loved getting the kids' meals, since they come in cute containers that double as souveniers (for example, a small click-to-close shamu-shaped plastic lunchbox). The seating area is quite large as well - we've never had issues with the restaurant being too crowded (or noisy). Another place that's slightly off the beaten track is the hospitality center near the clydesdale stable - good deli sandwiches there.

3. You can do SW in one day, but, as another poster mentioned, you do need to be careful about how you schedule your time. When you get there, grab a park map/schedule and choose which shows you'd like to go to, then work the rest of the day around those times. You do need to get to shows early (as in a half hour early) to get decent seats - and, of course, getting to the Sea Lion & Otter Show early means more entertainment courtesy of the SW mime. :) If you have small children, it can be tricky getting to a show so early and then sitting for the show as well, so plan as you would for any other wait at WDW.

4. I think SW is a fantastic park, especially if your family is into animals, and definitely worth the admission price. If you look around online, you can find coupon codes from time to time that will give you a substantial discount (and by that I mean at least 25% off) when you purchase your tickets online from the SW website. Likewise, simply purchasing tickets at their website in advance (you print a sheet for each ticket and bring those, with photo ID, to the entry turnstiles, where they are activated) can yield a decent discount, so check into this as well.

As for the question about feeding times, I don't have a firm answer for you, but I do think your recollection is correct - feeding times for the dolphins are limited. These might simply be printed on the daily schedule, or posted at the feeding area. If you can't find the info in advance, just check with an employee right when you get to the park so you can be sure to schedule that in with the shows and other activities you will plan out. The dolphin feeding is very popular, so make sure to get to that area a bit ahead of time to ensure you can take part.

Hope this helps!

Sylvia
09-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Sea World is always on my must do list and I typically spend at least 2 days there. I usually take the Lynx bus in the morning, and, depending on how late I stay, I may take the bus, or opt for a taxi back to WDW.

At Sea World, you'll find the same type of customer service as at WDW. The employees are referred to as crew members, and they are very friendly and helpful.

If you are planning on only going to the main shows (Shamu, Whale and Dolphin, Sea Lion and Otter) one day may be enough. But if you want to see the various exhibits, and take advantage of all that is available, you may need 2 days. Clydesdale Hamlet has a team of Clydesdales; you can visit the stable and see several up close, including a photo op with a Clydesdale. There is a large play area for kids called Shamu's Harbor. There are street performers in the Waterfront area and some indoor shows. There are many animal exhibits, including Wild Arctic and Penguin Encounter.

Try to plan on arriving at Sea World at (or just before) posted opening. Pick up a park map and schedule. Ask at the information desk about the feeding times for the dolphins.

Dolphin Cove is in the Key West section of Sea World not too far from the main entrance. The earlier you're there, the less crowded the feeding area will be.

All of my favorite dining locations have been mentioned. Seafarer's Inn has great burgers, as well as other good choices. The Hospitality Center at Clydesdale Hamlet has freshly carved turkey sandwiches as well as other deli sandwiches. Mango Joe's has delicious fish sandwiches.

Don't forget to have a treat. Shamu bars are the Sea World version of Mickey bars and just as tasty.