PDA

View Full Version : What Factor Determines Which Resort You Stay In?

KAT1811
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
I was just wondering what factor is the biggest determining factor for your family when choosing a resort.

We recently changed our reservation from the GF to the All Star Movies. For us we dceided on the change becuase we are celebrating our two youngest daughters' birthdays while in WDW (they will be 4 &2) and DH and I could not imagine surroundings they would enjoy more. We of course would prefer the surroundings at the GF but this trip is all about them and just the thought of them going crazy over the larger than life icons brings tears to my eyes.

With that being said I wondered what factor matters most to you when planning your WDW vacation.

A Mouse Fan
08-25-2008, 02:59 PM
We really like the atmosphere of the WL. It is so beautiful and relaxing, its a nice break from the parks! The boat ride to MK is awesome! We also get the Courtyard View and enjoy eating out on the terrace and looking at the pools/lake! We are looking forward to our 9 days there in November...looks like you are going at the same time :thumbsup:

DDuck66
08-25-2008, 03:02 PM
I went with Other. It really depends on the trip we are taking. If it is a short stay, then we usually hit a value resort. If it is a longer stay (7+ days) then we usually hit a moderate. If it is for a special occasion, we will even stay Concierge at one of the Delux resorts. We have our favorites in each category so it really depends.

buzznwoodysmom
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I voted for atmosphere. One year we took a surprise trip for our DSs birthdays, they were turning 2 and 4. At that time they were huge Toy Story fans (just look at my screen name) so we stayed at All Star Movies. We were lucky enough to get a room in the Toy Story section. We couldn't have been happier at any other resort. It was the perfect resort for the occassion.

When we visit in the winter or around Christmastime we like to stay at WL because it just feels so perfect at that time of year.

If we ever visit again during the summer months we'd love to stay at either the Poly, Beach club or even CBR with its new pirate rooms and pirate themed pool area.

For us atmosphere is definitely the deciding factor to where we stay on a trip.

KAT1811
08-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I voted for atmosphere. One year we took a surprise trip for our DSs birthdays, they were turning 2 and 4. At that time they were huge Toy Story fans (just look at my screen name) so we stayed at All Star Movies. We were lucky enough to get a room in the Toy Story section. We couldn't have been happier at any other resort. It was the perfect resort for the occassion.

Sounds like us. I was excited before but now I am really excited! They are going to go nuts for all of the icons! What better birthday resort?!

BMan62
08-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I would love for it to be atmosphere, but in all honesty it's Price! We would rather pay less and stay longer than pay more and have to come home before we were ready.

As long as we are on Disney property, we are happy campers!!!!

disneymom15
08-25-2008, 03:21 PM
For us it's price. The cheaper we can stay, the more often we can go.

ShanPooh
08-25-2008, 03:30 PM
I said price - we've stayed in values since they built them!
But next time, we'll be staying at POR with three kiddos.

Jasper
08-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I also picked price but for slightly different reasons. Yes, the lower the price the more often we can go. However, because we can't go as often as we like we are real park Kamikazes who are in the park when it opens and have to be kicked out by security at the end of the evening. The result is that we really aren't at the resort long enough to enjoy the amenities or atmosphere enough to cause us to want to pay more for a higher level of resort. For us a clean room, decent swimming pool, and price are all that we need.

ali'sdad2003
08-25-2008, 03:44 PM
At the end of the day, as long as I have a clean room, a roof, a bed and some Disney magic:cloud9:, I a going to be sleeping there and swimming and that is about it. Oh and A/C. That is the biggest factor. That is why I love the value resorts. :thumbsup: We are a family of 4. They are perfect for us.

26 MORE DAYS!!!:D:D:D:D

sdewan
08-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Location. Location. Location. I like the EPCOT Resorts because they are walking / boating distance to 2 of the 4 theme parks, including my favorite, EPCOT. And it is great to watch Illuminations from World Showcase, and then be in your hotel room 10 minutes later.

prprincess
08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
I chose "other" because we're trying to stay at a different resort each time we go. But that may change since I'm seeing that we really can't afford to stay at any of the higher end deluxes.

biodtl
08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
For us, it's mostly price. We have always stayed at All-Stars (though in addition to the price, the kids love them for the theming). This time, we're trying POFQ and we hope to someday stay at WL and Poly, but mainly, it will be values for us.

Belster
08-25-2008, 05:15 PM
I would have to agree with BMan62, it is all about price. Before I had three kids I used to only stay at the deluxe resorts, but now with the cost of airfair and all we choose to stay value. If it were not for value then we would not be able to make as many trips to the world as we do.
As others stated as long as we are on Dsiney property we are happy.

IloveDisney71
08-25-2008, 05:27 PM
For us, it's usually price. However, we treated our family to the Poly this past Christmas and my DH and I enjoyed a romantic stay at the CBR. If we had more disposable income, we'd like to try out more moderates and deluxe resorts.

Madame Leona
08-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I voted other. If we are renting DVC points then it's a matter of price and availability. If we go through Magical Journeys, then it's a matter of price (moderate or value) and amenities.

kathiep
08-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I voted for price. To us, staying in the moderates always fit our budget nicely and gave us something a little more than the values. We really have never been at the resorts long enough to justify (in my mind) spending any more.

This time, DH convinced me to splurge on the Polynesian. I wonder how this will change my thoughts for future stays. :confused:

jillluvsdisney
08-25-2008, 07:06 PM
I voted for atmosphere which is why I love the Wilderness Lodge and my next trip will be back to the Polynesian. My parents are seniors so we do spend time enjoying the resorts and relaxing there. We are not park commandos anymore. I think resort amenities add to the atmosphere. The beach at Poly, seeing Wishes, the Water Pagent and Volcano pool are all special.

We always get a rental car so proximity isn't the biggest issue but it will be nice when we are at Poly. Getting someone to the MK who is in a wheelchair is tough. We'll be a hop, skip and jump from the ferry.:cloud9:

We also like TS meals and the Poly and WL have multiple choices. We have even more options at the other monorail resorts.

Price is an issue and that is why we are going during value season this year.

Crow
08-25-2008, 07:06 PM
I went w other....
price is a biggie along w atmosphere.
but otherwise, if I have stayed there before & liked it.
I try to try all the diff resorts that I can afford.
for instance, price Pop, atmosphere WL
for some of both a mod, CSR or POFQ.

mrsgaribaldi
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
I went with Other. It really depends on the trip we are taking. If it is a short stay, then we usually hit a value resort. If it is a longer stay (7+ days) then we usually hit a moderate. If it is for a special occasion, we will even stay Concierge at one of the Delux resorts. We have our favorites in each category so it really depends.

This is our way exactly too.:thumbsup:

Kairi_7378
08-25-2008, 08:04 PM
There is no chance in heck that I will be able to convince DH to stay in a deluxe (even though he'd LOVE the Contemporary) so for us, I'd have to say price is the biggest factor. He does like the mods (POR is his favorite) so I guess that atmosphere would be a close second.

Tinkerbella16
08-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I'd have to say it a little bit of all, but the price plays a big role when it comes down to where we stay. We stayed at the values so many times....then last year we stayed at POR and I just fell in love. For the price of a mod resort, you really cannot go wrong. So this year we chose to stay at POFQ. The atmosphere at POR and FQ is just amazing. As much as I love the atmosphere at the Poly, I just cannot see myself dishing out all that cash...and for all that you better believe I'm gonna be spending alotttta time at the resort. To me, POR was almost like a "deluxe"...with the boat to DTD, restaurant, in-room fridge, double sinks, lounge, great pool...so I'd rather stay there and save more money.

Bringonthemouse!
08-25-2008, 08:33 PM
For me, it's price. As a single mom the values do us (myself & DD16) just fine. We only sleep and swim at the resort (sometimes eat) so as long as the rooms are clean and there is a bed to land on at the end of the day, we're happy!:cloud9:

Soul_Power
08-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Definitely the price.. If money wasn't the issue for us, we would go DELUXE all the way! Nothing against Pop Century, though, because we love it there - that's where we stayed during our first trip and where we will be staying again next year!

Mousemates
08-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Atmosphere - but we have actually liked the atmosphere at all the resorts we've stayed at...we enjoy the over-the-top and in-your-face theming of the values as well as the more refinded theming of the deluxes...absolutely love the AKL and WL.

Insanity Clause
08-25-2008, 11:48 PM
We had to have a place that could accomidate 5 people and wouldn't break the bank. The best option was Port Orleans - Riverside or CS because they both have a trundle otherwise we would be looking at Fort Wilderness Cabins or AS has a suite but even that is well over 200 a night. So I love that POR has that option!!!

Tink#64
08-26-2008, 12:11 AM
OK that was a tough poll to answer! Good one! I went with atmosphere, but that kind of covered children's preferences as well! DS's 11 & 12 love Pop & DH & myself do too! It's vibrant & alive & so cool! DS's love the icons & DH & I get all the cool sayings! The price is also definitely a factor! For our last couple of trips, we've actually considered trying a mod, but we're a little concerned that after spending the extra, we might be disappointed in the atmosphere! Maybe when DS's get older, right now Pop is perfect for us! :number1:

ShanPooh
08-26-2008, 12:16 AM
The best option was Port Orleans - Riverside or CS because they both have a trundle

I thought only POR had trundles.
Are the trundles at CS something fairly new?

It would be nice to have another moderate option for our trip a couple years down the road after DS settles in.

badkitty
08-26-2008, 01:16 AM
A year ago I would have said price having stayed mainly at PC or ASMovies or at a moderate when there are passholder speicals since I rarely spend much time at the resort. (It is parks from dawn to way past dark!) Then, my sister and I vacationed together last January and she wanted to stay at WL so we split the trip between ASMovies and WL. I absolutely fell in love with WL! (Quite by surprise since I only live a few hours from Yosemite in CA and thought I could get that atmosphere near home.)

The boat ride to MK was great and we could see some of the fireworks from our room. Plus the water light parade was a lot of fun! Dividing the nights between the value and the deluxe gave us great atmosphere and price.

DizneyRox
08-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Other - We don't stay at a value, that's ruled out due to the busses, caapcity, etc. Often the choice is then based on DVC availability, or just a resort we haven't stayed at. AKL though is often a first choice if we can get in there at a reasonable price.

RAIDER
08-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Its a toss up between price and atmosphere ..but in reality its a combination of the 2
Ive voted for atmosphere on the basis that no matter what the price was there are a few wdw resorts that would never appeal to me :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
08-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Atmosphere. The feeling we get at the resorts. We've been to many, and this past trip we have decided we are done trying out new resorts. The Poly is our WDW home. Everything about it feels right for our family.

Insanity Clause
08-26-2008, 11:30 AM
I thought only POR had trundles.
Are the trundles at CS something fairly new?

It would be nice to have another moderate option for our trip a couple years down the road after DS settles in.

When we called they told us both POR and CS had the trundles. As far as I know they have had them for at least the last couple of years, but don't quote me on that...but I was told that either one was an option for us without having to do the cabin or suites.

GrmGrninGost
08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
I put other, but at one time or another they all play a part. Right now, we are trying to stay at all the on-site properties. We will be arriving at the Contemporary on Aug. 31 for our first stay there. Hopefully next year, we can try a different resort! :mickey:

disneymom2000
08-27-2008, 06:13 PM
I like being able to stay at resort where I can either walk or catch the quick ferry to the parks. I prefer Beach/Yacht Club if I am with older adults so we can take in more of EPCOT and this time we are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge because the two girls I am going with are big animal lovers and will want to see Animal Kingdom a lot. I have a feeling we will take one day just to see the Marajah Jungle Trek alone.

Daddy Mouse
08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I picked other. While cost does play a factor for us; the time of year and deals that can be found at some resorts also play a factor. For our next trip we picked a resort because of its ambience.

SAnderson70769
08-27-2008, 06:39 PM
For me it has become price. We have stayed at the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Swan & Dolphin, Carribean Beach, Port Orleans French Quarter, and POP. While we loved all of them, we realized we are the type of family that doesnt spend a lot of time at the pools, resorts, except to sleep because we love the parks. With that said, we now usually choose the POP for less money - serves the purpose for showering, napping, and sleeping, and still get the Disney amenities of being on property. Sometimes if it's a discount deal, we'll do the moderate of POFQ, but the last 3 or 4 trips have been the POP - going there in October - its our favorite value resort!

laward32
08-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Right now I have to say price because that really determines where we stay. I would love to say that I can pick by the atmosphere, but not right now. I really want to stay at Poly, but it is just not feasible at the moment. Hopefully one day I can just pick where I feel like I want to stay, not where I can afford to stay.:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
08-27-2008, 11:22 PM
The Poly is our WDW home. Everything about it feels right for our family.
Exactly the same for us. WDW wouldn't be the same without it (we actually refused a trip from Disney when they screwed up our reservation once and couldn't put us in the Poly). We've learned that the resort is part of the trip and when that's right its makes the rest of the trip better.

Mickey91
08-27-2008, 11:28 PM
I chose other. It really has to do with a lot of different things. Price is the biggy. But more about price and what kind of money I have at the time and what deals are out there. I would stay off property before I wouldn't go, but I would rather stay at the Poly or the WL if I can swing it. Atmosphere and sometimes just wanting to try a new resort decides it for us.:mickey:

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
08-28-2008, 01:52 AM
This is a question our family debates before every WDW trip. Turns out it almost always comes down to location. We seem to spend a lot of our time now at Epcot and DHS so we really enjoy being able to walk to both of them. Therefore we now stay in the Epcot area resorts.

pamickeys
08-28-2008, 11:07 AM
"what factor determines which resort you stay in?....... have we stayed there yet. we want to try them all.

Septbride2002
08-28-2008, 05:18 PM
We are about location - I love staying at the Epcot resorts where we can walk to and from Epcot and Studios in a reasonable amount of time. I HATE waiting for buses - I really do. I can't help it, I get impatient. I also hate waiting for trams, and ferrys. Staying at the BWV eliminates this for 2 parks. Then I only have to deal with Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom.

~Amanda

iheartmickey
08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I chose amenities because it's about what the resort has to offer us that we choose it.

It's part size, comfort, location, restaurants, pools, etc.

For instance ... when we choose to stay at Pop, it's because of the playful ness of the resort ... theme, price, ease of booking, food court, playground, "the nightly hustle" etc.

When we chose the Poly it was for relaxation ... the pools, hammocks on the beach, big lush room, being close to 'Ohana's and the monorail. :mickey:

JoDisney
08-28-2008, 08:57 PM
We look at the price for resorts during the school year. We will us usually choose a moderate or the "Pop Century" value resort. We know we will mostly be at the parks for the rides and all the many events that are offered. Now when the kids school ends in June, we always stay in a deluxe resort. We treat ourselves at this time. This is always early June. We do not go the rest of the summer because, being from Florida, we know how hot and crowded it can get at Disney World. At that time, Disney World is not enjoyable to us.

ParkMan
08-29-2008, 12:40 AM
For me, it's atmosphere. A WDW trip brings back so many memories of my childhood that I go for the resort that I think will have the best memories for me & my family.

jonahbear2006
08-29-2008, 02:19 AM
Pool. I decide solely based on the kicker points that the pool earns from my family's vote.

Bethis26fan
08-29-2008, 06:46 AM
It's price for us. I can stay at the vaule and have more days.

elmjimmlm
08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
We chose POR because we are a family of 5 and the values dont allow 5 and we dont want to pay more than a moderate...:mickey:

Imagineer1981
08-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Atmosphere...unfortunately if you go price, POP is the lowest I will go. Once you've stayed at Beach Club or WL or Poly, its hard to go back down to All Stars

wdwfan
08-31-2008, 09:46 AM
I went with other because it depends on who's going. If it me & DH we always stay in deluxe resort. Then it depends on time of year. During F&W we like Epcot resort otherwise monorail resort.
If going with sister or friend we usually stay at PoP because of $$. We're not in room that much anyway so value works for us. If I manage to get AP rate we'll stay at POR or PORFQ.

Tbelle1976
09-01-2008, 11:08 AM
I had to go with price. If we have to budget it's on accomodations. We can always eat at the nicer restaurants and purchase the souveniers we want to make it an enjoyable vacation.:mickey:

wilshade
09-01-2008, 12:40 PM
For me, it is price first, with atmosphere right after that.

FUN
09-02-2008, 07:24 PM
we always stay at pop for bus service and cost

Marceline
09-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I voted for atmosphere. We stayed at POP and the price was nice, but nothing compares to the feeling of being at WL for us. We went there for lunch and got so swept away in the atmosphere that we had to jump resorts mid-vacation. We are totally willing to shell out for the difference in experience. We just love the relaxing woodsy feeling so much!:cloud9: We will always plan for a day or so to just chill at the resort and absorb. :pine:

Can't wait to get back to that "welcome home".:ornament: