PDA

View Full Version : Changing from AKL to POFQ

Tinkerfreak
08-25-2008, 08:15 AM
All right guys. I really need your help here. Due to financial issues we have had to downgrade from AKL Savannah view to POFQ for our November trip. I am trying to keep a possitive attitude about it. I keep telling myself that this might be a good thing and that trying a new resort will be fun. I guess we have been spoiled by only staying deluxe. I think the thing worrying me the most is the smaller beds. We are used to sleeping in a king bed at home and have done ok in the queen beds at the deluxe resorts but am worried that full size beds will just be too small. I am shaped a bit like Pooh Bear and tend to toss and turn alot.
All those POFQ lovers please tell me all the great things about this place so I can keep a good attitude about it.
My DD's are being so good about it even though the AKL is their favorite resort and I know they will miss seeing animals off the balcony they just said "Disney at a different resort is better than no Disney at all"

Disneyfamilyof3
08-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi Tinkerfreak;

I have stayed at many of the WDW resorts, from deluxe to the campground. My favorite deluxe was the Yacht Club, and my favorite moderate was Port Orleans (we stayed at Riverside). I've noticed on your list the deluxe you usually stay at is AKL. If that is accurate, then switching to POFQ should be fine. Unlike AKL, that only offers bus transportation and is the farthest away from most of the parks, POFQ has a boat that takes you to DTD. Another nice thing about PO as opposed to AKL, is that you have a choice of either the FQ or RS main pools , and both pools have slides. We felt that PO had a more "deluxe" feel than other moderates we've stayed at.

BTW, I loved staying at AKL, too; because I am an animal lover and it is the very first place I stayed (when it first opened). However, after staying at many resorts since then, at this point, the next deluxe I would stay at would be one of the Epcot hotels again because of the short walk to Epcot.

HTH;

Sim:D

vicster
08-25-2008, 08:48 AM
We stayed at a moderate resort (CBR) last September after staying at WL and it was fine. We decided to try moderates to see if it's worth the extra $$ to stay at WL (which we love). Next month we're trying POFQ and I've heard nothing but good things about it. We pretty much decided we don't spend that much time in the room and we'd rather spend the extra money on something else. The room size at CBR was pretty comparable to WL and we did have a king bed. I requested a king bed at POFQ but who knows...At any rate, you'll be at WDW so just go and enjoy!!!

Tinkerbella16
08-25-2008, 08:59 AM
I will be staying at POFQ also in November! What are your dates?

I stayed at POR last year and loved it. But we wanted to try something new, and FQ is a much smaller resort, so we will have less walking. I absolutely loved the boat to DTD...we used this every night last november since the parks close fairly early that time of year, we would go to DTD at night. I wouldn't worry too much about downgrading to Port Orleans...it felt kinda like a "deluxe" to us last year...it really is beautiful!

Checkers
08-25-2008, 10:18 AM
:mickey:We usually stay at our DVC (OKW) or a deluxe resort near Epcot, however, when we do stay at a moderate it is always POFQ. We love it -- the quaintness, the boat to DTD, the beignets. I will admit that if you are used to sharing a king-size bed and then have to share a double bed it may present a problem. It is a decision that only you can make. As far as the entirety of the resort is concerned, I don't think you will be disappointed. Have fun!

dizfanforever
08-25-2008, 11:10 AM
We stayed at POFQ a couple of years ago and really liked it. If we didn't have three kids that are now all over the age of 3 - we'd definitely stay there again. I'd say it is our favorite moderate resort. As others have said, the boat ride to DTD is wonderful and the beignets (sp?) at the food court are soooooo yummy! My kids thought the dragon waterslide was the coolest!
I understand your concern about the size of the beds, though. I'm not sure how old or what size your daughters are, but one thing that my husband and I did to ensure a more comfortable sleep was to put one of us with one of the kids in each bed. That way there weren't two full-grown adults in a full-sized bed and it gave us a little more room. Hope this helps!

Bri
08-25-2008, 12:27 PM
we stayed at POFQ a few years ago. we LOVED it. it was small, easy to manage, not crowded, the pool was nice, the theme was fun, you can take the boat to DTD, it doesn't take too long to get a bus. you can pay extra for a king bed, that's what we did. but if you get a king bed, that's the only bed in the room. either way, you won't be disapponted in the resort i promise!

Tinkerfreak
08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I will be staying at POFQ also in November! What are your dates?

I stayed at POR last year and loved it. But we wanted to try something new, and FQ is a much smaller resort, so we will have less walking. I absolutely loved the boat to DTD...we used this every night last november since the parks close fairly early that time of year, we would go to DTD at night. I wouldn't worry too much about downgrading to Port Orleans...it felt kinda like a "deluxe" to us last year...it really is beautiful!

We will be there oct. 31st through nov. 8th.

Tinkerfreak
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
See I knew you would all make me feel better. I love the suggestion to put one kid with each adult. How blonde am I that I never even thought of that. If DH and I are too uncomfortable together we will just do that. It sounds like it is a smaller resort so I think we will like that. You all made me go from hesitant and unsure about it to actually being excited to try it. :thumbsup:
With the money we saved we were actually able to add on another day and the Halloween party.
Thanks again.

FriendsofMickey
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I have never stayed at a deluxe (I just cannot see spending the money for it, when I hardly spend any time in the room). Some day, I will try AKL just because of the animals (and my girls love animals).

That said, we have stayed in three of the moderate resorts. FQ was our favorite by a landslide. It is beautiful! The CMs are fantastic! The busses were also great from this resort. The time to MK was about 15 minutes.

Go with an open mind and you will not be dissapointed (I am sure). :)

BTW: Your dc are right! Any time spent at Disney is better than the alternative! :mickey: