PDA

View Full Version : On the plus side

Mrs Bus Driver
08-24-2008, 08:51 AM
I would like to hear from those of us who are on the plus side (I am size 22). Do you use the resort pool? I was already going to brave one of the water parks for the sake of my DD. Now I'm thinking since I'm going to have the suit with me and we can't go to the parks the first day. Maybe I will use the resort pool. Anyone brave enough to join me? :mickey:

aurora, ariel, and bell
08-24-2008, 08:55 AM
For sure!! There are many of us who are plus size, you won't feel out of place.

You are on vacation...make the most out of it. Do not hesitate to do the things you want to do.

I used to feel self conscious as well and now I figure that people should like me (or not) for me not my size... GO for it!:number1:

goofiecrazy
08-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I am pooh sized as well and i look at it this way ur never going to see the those people again.There is always going to be someone smaller and bigger then you so just relax and have a great time in the world!!!

disneydeb
08-24-2008, 09:53 AM
I have been to many pools pooh sized. Chances are no one you know will even be there where you are. Enjoy making memories with your child!

Briansmom
08-24-2008, 10:04 AM
You go for it, GURL! We were just there in May and I put my suit on just like everyone else. No judgements made there...and if there were, I didn't care. I was having too much fun with my little guy! (He loved the slide at POFQ pool!) You will make wonderful memories with your DD and that is what is important.

I think you draw more attention to yourself when you go to the pool NOT in a bathing suit.

Go and bask in the sun and have some great fun!! :mickey:

gamblefamily5
08-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Well, I never thought about not going somewhere b/c of my 'Pooh size 20!" Seriously, I don't really care what others think if I am dressed modestly and I am enjoying the time with my family. Believe me, a lot of us there are Pooh Moms with our little cubs following us around thinking we are beautiful and just perfect size! Go make some memories with you child and don't worry about everyone else!:mickey::pooh:

Cheloconnell
08-24-2008, 10:14 AM
I too have never been in the pools at Disney even though I have been more than 30 times. I was thinking about trying it in October when we go since we are staying at POFQ with the cool slide and both my kids will definitely want to go in. My older son (6) does not use a vest, but I am not comfortable he is 100% proficient if something went wrong. My other son will be turning 3 and wears a vest - still not 100% comfortable. I figure my husband will have to take one and I will watch the other. I guess we can brave this together. :mickey:

tinklover
08-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Go for it girl. i too am pooh sized and I use dto be a pooh sized lifegauard (size 26 at the time)In june i was in the hippy dippy pool at Pop and had a blast.( size 24now) go out there with the don't like the way i look then don't look attitude. we are all beautiful in our own pooh ways. i mean look at how many people love the fairy godmother she is pooh sized as well. go and have fun and make memories who cares what others think. you are there for you and your kid not for them.

BIGDOG
08-24-2008, 10:58 AM
I run about a 4xl or 54 waist and am 6, 3" and never even give is a second thought. Vacation means means relax if some one has a problem smash em like a bug.

BIGDOG
08-24-2008, 11:01 AM
One more thing.... start off with a cannon ball kids love it, no one will say it but they all want to see us big folks CANNON BALL

MuchLovedMama
08-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Heck Yeah...Go for it! I'm plus sized as well. I wear 18/20 most times. I'm not sure which resort you will be at but if they have the quite pools you may feel better there. I know once when we stayed at CBR I think every time we went to our quiet pool we were the only ones there. It's one thing in your own neighborhood where you see the people often but on vactaion you don't have to ever worry about seeing these people again. I totally understand how you feel. If it weren't for swimdresses though I don't know what I'd do. I love them.

KAT1811
08-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Believe me, a lot of us there are Pooh Moms with our little cubs following us around thinking we are beautiful and just perfect size!

Love this!!! We are all beautiful no matter what our dress size.

While I am not "pooh sized" (although I will be on this trip avec baby!) I would be very sad to hear that you would miss out on making some fabulously magical memories with your family just because of your "pooh" shape. Go and have fun splashing around like a child. Isn't that what WDW is all about?

Puppy Mom
08-25-2008, 11:57 AM
My BF and I are both overstuffed Poohs and we wouldn't think of not enjoying everything at WDW.

We love going back to the quite pool at our resort mid afternoon for a swim and float. It is such a wonderful way to relax and rest.

We both take extra large tee shirts to wear to and from the pool and feel very comfortable. We have never noticed any remarks or stares or felt uncomfortable.

Besides, do you relly care what strangers think? If they are so shallow as to judge people by their size, are they anyone who's opinion you would respect anyway?

LuvsTigger80
08-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Go for it. I did!(size 26/28) And to tell you the truth...no one really judges you at WDW. Everyone is there to have a magical time. I had sooo much fun at the water parks, i can't wait to do them again. :mickey:

Tinkerfreak
08-25-2008, 01:58 PM
GO AHEAD BABY AND WHIP OUT THAT ITSY BITSY TEENY WEENY YELLOW POLKA DOT BIKINI (ok maybe not go that far) but do have a good time and enjoy yourself. Trust me you are the only one thinking about how you look. Nobody else is doing anything but enjoying their own fun time. Like everyone has said don't let your size keep you from making great memories with your children. I am pooh sized and did a waterpark.

jonahbear2006
08-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I am not pooh sized but I have been to Disney a few times and I can't think of another place in the world where people are more loving. When you step into Disney, everyone feels like family. Everyone has great manners, they help you out if they see you are one hand short, they talk to you as if they know you, and you will not feel out of place just because you don't fit the super model industry's standards. If you feel self conscious about going into the parks, then why not seek out a long skirt, take it home and cut it straight down the seam, attach some velcro to the sides so it is tear away. Then you can wear it when you are walking around and take it off for the water rides and pool. Voila, fantastic Tear away cover up! But seriously, Disney keeps people happy, I think, so we all feel inclined to be more caring due to the high standard of morale. And, after all, Pooh is pooh sized. We saw him at Disney and he was walking around the Buffet in nothing but a bare midriff. Everyone seemed to really love him !

Marilyn Michetti
08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
If anybody says anything, or even LOOKS at you funny, send them to the "shallow" end of the pool where they belong. Ya know how? Just smile at them, and give them a compliment. (Like," what a pretty swimsuit"). Your family will be thinking, "classy mom".:cool:

Harkleroad
08-25-2008, 08:26 PM
I love to hear all of the great remarks from everyone here. I am also about a 22/24 and have sometimes been a little uncomfortable with the thought of getting out in front of others, but once I am at Disney I try not to worry about anything. And this November I plan to use the pool and not only am I plus sized but will be about seven months pregnant on top of that. So everybody watch out.:)

crazypoohbear
08-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Go for it!!!
As long as your bits and pieces are covered up you'll look fine. (No thong bathing suits) :blush:
I use to not have my picture taken because of my size. then my aunt was killed 9 years ago and there weren't alot of pictures of her (she was plus size as well and didn't like having her picture taken) After her funeral I decided the Heck with it, live life to the fullest and the heck with anyone else.!!!!
I have also realized that no matter where I am or what I am doing there will
1) always be someone larger
2) there will always be someone smaller
3) I will have fun doing what I want!
My kids love me and they love having fun in the water or at the parks with me.
Friday we were at the beach and the three of us were swimming and having a great time, never once did anyone say anything or look at me (at least I didn't notice, I was too busy having fun with my boys) Oh, and my boys are going to be 14 and 19 next month so you would think they might be embarrassed by their mom but all they cared about was me joining them in the water and playing!
God I love them!!!!!
My point is your kids love you, and want to have fun with you. Do you really want to put what you think strangers might think above what will make your kids happy????
I don't think so! You go!!!

biodtl
08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
You should definitely go! Everyone has a right to have fun - if someone else doesn't like, it, tough. Are you kind? Do you respect people? Then you are beautiful! Have fun and don't worry about anyone else - most likely they are too busy having fun and aren't even noticing you.

coloradowendyl
08-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Disney is actually the one place I don't mind being seen in a bathing suit. Living in very fit /health conscious Colorado where every other woman has never worn a doubled digit size (meaning 12 or up), I actually feel normal in WDW.( I gave up skinny many years ago!) We recently did Blizzard Beach and I have to say, I was very envious of the large number of international guests who were definitely plus size who did not have the American self consciousness about their bodies and were in bathing suits that the average American Woman would not even try on...meaning two piece, a color other than black/navy blue, and being over the age of 30 with children!

I say...put on that suit, hold your head high and have a fabulous time in the pool...trust me, there will be many other people the same size as you in bathing suits having a great time as well!

Wendy

MuchLovedMama
08-26-2008, 12:21 AM
GO AHEAD BABY AND WHIP OUT THAT ITSY BITSY TEENY WEENY YELLOW POLKA DOT BIKINI (ok maybe not go that far)

I laughed so hard at this...Too funny!

Go for it!!!
As long as your bits and pieces are covered up you'll look fine. (No thong bathing suits) :blush:
I use to not have my picture taken because of my size. then my aunt was killed 9 years ago and there weren't alot of pictures of her (she was plus size as well and didn't like having her picture taken) After her funeral I decided the Heck with it, live life to the fullest and the heck with anyone else.!!!!
I have also realized that no matter where I am or what I am doing there will
1) always be someone larger
2) there will always be someone smaller
3) I will have fun doing what I want!
My kids love me and they love having fun in the water or at the parks with me.
Friday we were at the beach and the three of us were swimming and having a great time, never once did anyone say anything or look at me (at least I didn't notice, I was too busy having fun with my boys) Oh, and my boys are going to be 14 and 19 next month so you would think they might be embarrassed by their mom but all they cared about was me joining them in the water and playing!
God I love them!!!!!
My point is your kids love you, and want to have fun with you. Do you really want to put what you think strangers might think above what will make your kids happy????
I don't think so! You go!!!

Man you guys had me laughing so hard & then I got teary reading this. I have the camera problem. Any time someone wants to take my picture I tell them I'm allergic to the camera. My whole family knows that I hate having my pic taken & they don't make me often but I've been thinking along the lines here lately that what will happen if something were to happen to me & my kids are left with only a few pictures.

I have really really enjoyed reading all the comments here. I laugh & cry & laugh again. :blush:

Mrs Bus Driver
08-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks you all are the best! Also I prepaid for CD so I intend to take lots of pictures. DD will only be 21 once so I am going to enjoy this trip. Besides we both need the break, She is in college and DH has lung cancer (2 & 1/2 and still fighting). DH is a homebody and doesn't like taking trips so we usually go without him (although he is always invited). Between work and everything I really need the break and I know she does to. We usually take 3 or 4 trips to DL every year but because of DH illness we both agreed to do just one trip this year, which is why we chose WDW for a week.

Puppy Mom
08-26-2008, 03:30 PM
I am sorry to hear about your husband's illness.

That is all the more reason that you should get out there and ENJOY! Having a loved one who is ill is so stressfull and I am sure you NEED this vacation.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

dismommy
08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I am more comfortable at the pool at disney in my bathing suit then at our community pool. At the community pool it seems to be a show where some of the people examine and criticize others and at disney everyone is involved with their own vacation/fun/family. So go to the pool and have a great time, the pools are great and relaxing.

caryrae
08-26-2008, 05:06 PM
I am about 280 lbs and go swimming at the pools. Most of the time most of the people look like me anyway. I am more worried about how dumb my farmers tan looks. lol

Jasper
08-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Add my wife and I to the list of those who are Pooh sized and still hit the pools. The only caveat I ever make to such a situation is to be sure to dress appropriately. I do not like it when a 20 year old with the best body in the world is bouncing around in a thong so I sure don't think it is appropriate for those who are a bit larger to wear one either. And by the way, for my fellow men, just because men in Europe with size 60 waists wear Speedos doesn't mean we should start that tradition here in the good old U.S. of A.!