PDA

View Full Version : Thunderstorms?

sndral
08-23-2008, 03:38 AM
I seem to vaguely recall that thunderstorms at WDW come w/ lightening and that when this happens you should get out of the pool, right? Any other advice for someone who's unfamiliar w/ this type of weather. Also, how long do 'afternoon thunderstorms' last?

CAS
08-23-2008, 06:32 AM
You are correct. In the spring through autumn months plan on it raining every afternoon then letting up a couple hours later. It's actually rather nice since it cools off the temps several degrees and makes the evenings more tolerable.

But just some fyi's from someone who lives in tornado alley :) : All thunderstorms come with lightening. Lightening can strike even if the thunderstorm is miles away and you have clear sky above you. Get out of the pool well before you see any lightening or hear thunder. Also, don't take a shower during a thungderstorm; A ground strike at or near your building can be conducted through the water. Watch the weather forcasts to know when and where you're going to be when a thunderstorm is approaching. If severe thunderstorms are predicted then proceed with even more caution. Severe thunderstorms are categorized by their ability to produce a tornado, have damaging winds of 58 mph or higher, and/or have 3/4 inch hail or larger.

I don't mean to scare you. It just sounds like you're unfamiliar with this type of weather. :mickey:

BTW: where are you from where you don't get severe weather?

Strmchsr
08-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Afternoon thunderstorms in Orlando generally last less than an hour. They can be pretty intense, and the lightning is especially intense, so you are quite right to get out of the pool, but also even if you're just walking around outside - go inside. Find you a place to wait it out and you'll be much happier.

faline
08-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Most recently, I have heard that if you can hear thunder, you should seek shelter as you could be at risk from lightening strikes.

When weather begins to turn, lifeguards will empty pools and close down the water areas until the storm has passed. If you know a storm is approaching, I wouldn't even wait for the lifeguards to make the decision. Never seek shelter under large trees during a thunder storm. Lightening is attracted to the tallest object in the area. Folks standing at the bottom of a large tree hit be lightening are subject to having the electricity travel from the tree into their bodies. Your best option is to shelter indoors until the storm has passed.

Thunder storms in Florida can be intense but rarely last very long.

As noted, you should not shower during a thunder storm but you also should not use telephones and other electronic equipment either as lightening that strikes a building can travel through wires and pipes in the building.

Disney World has lightening rods installed on almost every building so they have certainly taken some proactive approaches to guiding the course of lightening should it strike one of their buildings.

Ed
08-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Remember that the Orlando area - generally the whole I-4 corridor - is considered by many as the Lightning Capital of the US.

WDW lifeguards are alerted by their in-house weather folks when lightning is approaching, and they will REQUIRE you to get out of the pool. If you refuse, or go back in, you can expect a visit from Security. :cop: WDW takes lightning very seriously, and with good reason.

As others have said, t'storms in this area are usually ~~but not always~~ relatively short-lived. And during the summer you can expect one almost every afternoon.

MsMin
08-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Down here we have a 10 mile rule but I was surprised when we were at Blizzard Beach a couple weeks ago that the CM told us that they have a 6 mile rule. We were at the top of summit plummet and I was very uncomfortable and surprised at just how long they let us stay in the water park. I was more than ready to leave.
Generally, from what I've heard lightening can strike as far as ten miles from the cell. They definitely didn't make us leave at the first sound of thunder. My mom used to tell us that if you saw the lightening flash and could not count to 10 (seconds) before you heard the thunder it was too close.
We get lightening year round down here and I have seen lightening and heard the thunder at WDW even in Dec. when the conditions are right. They are just not as intense. I love that it cools things down.
Another que that makes me uncomfortable is that the wind often picks up before a TS.
Do take cover. Disney does take precautions so you can rely on them to take appropriate measures. Do remember to also clear the golf course. Often when you are the highest object you become a lightening rod especially if you have a metal rod in your hands, cell phones can attract lightening too.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-23-2008, 10:33 AM
We were surprised by the thunderstorms in Orlando!

They seem to "pop-up" super quickly, but then are over super-quick as well (most of the time).

The lifeguards were really good at closing the pool when a storm came in, and keeping it closed until the storm had passed. I always felt safe!

In the parks, we would just slip into a store, or indoor attraction, and by the time the show was done, the storm was also over.

Don't let the thunderstorm threat ruin your trip at all!

Polynesian Dweller
08-23-2008, 01:18 PM
We were surprised by the thunderstorms in Orlando!

They seem to "pop-up" super quickly, but then are over super-quick as well (most of the time).

Florida has a somewhat unique environment for thunderstorms. Because of the narrowness of the Florida peninsula they get onshore breezes from both the Atlantic side (east) and the Gulf of Mexico side (west). Most places other than Florida only get an onshore breeze from one direction.

Those two opposing onshore breezes meet in the middle at Central Florida and collide forcing an uplifting of the moist sea air. It is the uplifting that causes the clouds and ultimately, when the moisture rises high enough, the showers and thunderstorms.

The 10 mile rule is a good rule. Lightning can arc as much as that and its also the reason why the sound of thunder is not a good indicator. If you hear thunder you are almost certainly well within the 10 mile range. When large towering clouds (cumulus congestus that look like cauliflower) and/or clouds with anvil shapes approach, get out of the water and look for cover.

sndral
08-23-2008, 02:13 PM
"BTW, where are you from that you don't get severe weather."
California, in my part when it rains it's too cold to swim and I don't recall lightening close by -ever. Now, if you want advise about how to deal with an earthquake...
Thank you all, I really was clueless so w/ your info I can be a safer guest.

MicMouse
08-25-2008, 10:05 AM
They are not kidding when they say that Orlando is the lightning capital of the US.

When you are at WDW, look up. Just about every building, light pole, etc has a lightning rod attached to it. The only things that didn't have rods were the trees!

Storms in FL can be intense and quick to sprout up, but like others have said, they rarely last long.