PDA

View Full Version : Live birth reality programs

Marilyn Michetti
08-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Anybody ever watch TLC in the morning? Lots of reality, including live births. I don't know why I watch except it makes me feel so good that those days are over, or something. Well, this woman is screaming - the Dr. suggests an epidural, and the husband says, "he will consider it in an hour, if she's having more pain".

There wouldn't be person left on earth if men had to go through labor and delivery, so what is this guys problem?:mad:

murphy1
08-22-2008, 01:10 PM
I used to watch A Baby Story when I was going through having kids (my baby is 4 now, some of the kids I used to watch being born are 10 and 11 now!). There was one on when the husband just passed out, it was hilarious! I would have smacked dh if he told me I could or couldn't have drugs, that guy was a big jerk to do that to his wife. I also saw one show where the husband was getting all antsy and said he wanted the baby out NOW while his poor wife is just laying there in labor. Our population would go way down if men had to do the labor:D Do you watch A Wedding Story? I know a girl in my hometown in Tampa that was on that show.

Princess'Mom
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
I've seen those programs before. Maybe the wife and husband had a birthing plan that he was going to stick to - no matter what!?

I know that I didn't refuse the pain meds during my L&D - and I didn't feel that I missed out one bit during the whole experience!

MNNHFLTX
08-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't watch them myself, but many days when I'm at the YMCA doing my weight training, there is a woman who always watches those shows, so I see them second-hand. I know each birth is a miracle and all, but it's exhausting just watching it from a distance (and that's not because I'm working out!)

mickey&missy
08-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I've watched the Baby Story and Bringing Home Baby. Actually, when I was in labor with my 5 year old DS my lovely DH turned the tv channel so I could watch a Baby Story. I politely (LOL!! :blush: ) told him to change it. He said "I thought you liked this show!" he thought he was doing something nice. It was bad enough that the women in the next room was SCREAMING like I've never heard anyone scream and saying words no one should say but then the lady on TV started screaming. I told DH I prefer to be in pain alone!

Jasper
08-22-2008, 02:41 PM
I have only watched these shows a couple of times and just don't understand what the thrill is. Yeah, I am sure there are some amusing situations like when the father passes out and all that sort of thing but other then that I can't understand why anyone would want to watch a woman go through all that if they don't have to. When I see these things I just want the woman to be done and out of pain!

Disney Doll
08-22-2008, 03:08 PM
I used to watch those shows and I think many new mothers just want to see what's ahead. Labor and delivery can be a pretty nerve wracking experience especially if it's your first time. I know I liked seeing other people survive it and getting a peek into what it's like. :)

garymacd
08-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Just playing devil's advocate here, but it is possible that the woman in that particular show was not far enough along in labour to be given an epidural. Epidurals can only be given so long and then lose effectiveness for when she really needs it . You just can't keep pumping that stuff into someone without side effects. If the doctor said he would re-assess mom in an hour, that tells me that mom wasn't near ready to deliver her baby.

I am not a doctor and I might be wrong. I am, after all, just a guy (I know: BOOO! I should probably pull my bottom lip over my forehead) who got to watch his wife go through 12 hours of pain.

Sorry. I mis-read the post. I thought the doctor would reconsider in an hour. Dad should have sat in a corner and pulled his bottom lip over his forehead. Mom should have been screaming, "Give me morphine!!!" (Thanks, Bill Cosby)

threeh
08-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Did you ever see the show were they show people delivering babies all around the world?? That is some intersting stuff. I saw an episode and the showed India and then some place else remote. It was really neat.
I am a labor room nurse so every day is a baby story:)

Jenemmy
08-23-2008, 01:54 PM
OH man.....reminds me of the day after I had #3. Although she was the shortest labor of my kids, she was the only one I did drug free and she hurt the absolute most from start to finish. My hubby remarked to some friends visiting us that "oh yeah, this one was a breeze! our easiest labor yet!" Oooooo, I longed for something to throw at his head at that moment! LOL!