PDA

View Full Version : Live from FAY

Maleficent's Dad
08-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Okay, I don't have a lot of time, but I'll do my best to give our trip overview so far...

BASICALLY - Everyone is putting up with the storm (more rain than anything else, some wind) by putting on rain gear and hitting the parks. Crowds are NOT as light as I would've thought... but that's fine. We're still here.

When in the world will FAY leave the state of FL? :confused:

Day 1 - Weds., 8/20
We leave NY area on time and the flight is good; with TS Fay down in FL, we expected a bumpy ride. Captain was on the announcements 1 hour out of Orlando - had everyone buckle up and prepare for a lot of turbulence. We had about three bumps, and a very smooth landing at a rainy MCO.

DME was no quick venture, but we made it to the BWV by noon. Rooms not ready, but get this: I got a room upgrade! (DVC Members on points rarely if ever get such things! So we were pumped!)

We head into EPCOT with ponchos on. Crowds are medium - waits at TT, Soarin', MS are long (all over an hour). Even SSE was 30 minutes. We dined at Les Chefs (on a whim) and had a nice experience. FP for TT, rode Ellen, SSE, and hit Club Cool.

After a break at the resort (and unpacking in our room), we went back to the park. Rode TT and Donald the missing Duck adventure in Mexico. Brats and Beers in Germany sufficed for dinner. Illuminations was not crowded.

Something I've never seen before - Illuminations went off with NO fireworks - "No Pyrotechnics" in CM speak. The GLOBE was operating. The inferno barge was operating, but NO fireworks. It made for a weird show... :unsure:

I hit ESPN enroute home to check scores, had a brew, then met up with the family for bed-time.

Day 2 - Thursday, 8/21
Up early for DHS. We walked there (due to our location, even with rain, it's not a far walk).

Were about 10 back for the rope drop, and we headed for Toy Story Midway Mania. Good ride, barely any wait, FP lines were insane (the lines to GET a FP). By the time we got out of the ride (9:20 AM), FP times were 12:30 and Standby was almost an hour. That is one POPULAR ATTRACTION.

We rode RNR, TOT, and Star Tours. Our neighbors who are here with us were on Star Tours with us. My friend won an incredible WISH that we were part of. To summize, it was called the "Lights Motor Action TAILGATE PARTY." We were treated to lunch, VIP seating, backstage tour, and some free FP's to any attraction in the park (except TSM).

That's it for now. Just wanted people to know that parks are busy to medium, even with TS Fay in town. Raining on and off (and even peaks of sunshine at times!) but everyone seems to don the poncho and head out. Us included!

sisterdisco
08-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for sharing! Glad you are having a great time despite the rain. We leave in 3 days--can't wait!

starrmomof2
08-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the 'live' update. Trips like this are just too important for rain to slow you down too much. :mickey: Look forward to hearing more.

princessgirls
08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the report!

Glad that Fay isn't keeping you down and in the resort!

Julie:mickey:

Lizzie
08-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for sharing. Its great to hear about whats going on. Sounds like your still having a great time.

GrumpyFan
08-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the post. Sounds like you guys are making the best of it. I'm surprised to hear how long the lines are even in the storm.

Bethis26fan
08-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Glad you are having fun even with the rain. I hope the rest of your trip goes great.

sdewan
08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
I'll add to this live update on this rainy and windy Thursday evening. So far we've been dealing with the storm pretty well, but tonight it became too much for us. The almost constant rain was joined by high wind gusts tonight, and it was bad enough for Illuminations and Wishes to be cancelled. We tried walking around World Showcase, but all the vendor carts were sealed up, and the wind and rain was just too much punishment. Hopefully tomorrow it goes back to JUST raining constantly.

Another minor issue with us on this trip has been the "new" automated bus dispatch system that WDW has been testing this week. Yesterday we waited 45 minutes for a bus from AK to BCV, while 5 EPCOT and AllStar buses came and went, 4 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Springs buses, but zero Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge or EPCOT resort buses. Obviously they have some bugs to work out with the system, and lots of people have been complaining to management.

We are still having a good time despite the weather and the buses. After all, it's hard not to have a great time here! But we've had to be extremely flexible with our plans on this trip, especially with the outdoor ones.

Meerkat
08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Interesting report. The part about no fireworks at Illuminations was surprising. I would have expected the world globe to be gone, but to still have the pyrotechnics.

Jodi
08-21-2008, 10:38 PM
We appreciate your update, we are flying out of Milwaukee, WI tomorrow into Orlando. Just slightly worried about our landing at 11:30a.m. with the potential wind gusts. Will have to put on a brave face for DD's. We are going to La Nouba tomorrow evening, so, the rain won't spoil our day / night. Have our ponchos packed too, so, we still plan on doing everything we wanted to. :thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
08-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Sounds like your family is taking rainy Fay in stride and making the best of it. :thumbsup: That tailgate dream sounded pretty cool. Congrats on getting to be a part of that. Thanks for reporting, and good luck with the weather. :mickey:

DizNee143
08-22-2008, 09:43 AM
sounds like you guys are making the best of it..hope it gets better weather wise..some time soon!! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the report, I hope we only get rain from Fay too

tinkerbell04
08-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the update, sounds like you are weathering the storm well and making the best of it. Looking forward to hearing more.

laward32
08-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the report. Sorry about the rain, but sounds like your making the most of a bad situation and having a good time. I hope it gets better.:mickey:

Natazu
08-22-2008, 09:14 PM
DVC upgrade, awesome. Almost makes the downpours worth it, huh Frank?

Maleficent's Dad
08-23-2008, 07:25 AM
UPDATED

Friday, August 22

We hit MK in the morning - and the rain was just Non-Stop. We all agreed - we don't mind the ponchos occasionally, and we certainly can "weather a storm." But this is getting ridiculous!!! Three straight days with rain, rain, rain...

Hit all the major attractions (as well as others ;)), and as the day went on, the rain diminished.

Now before anyone thinks the rain actually "stopped," let me explain. We actually had some "breaks" where it didn't rain for a while. But then you'd get a deluge once again and the wind would be blowing the rain sideways...

We dined at the LTT for lunch, and we had a great server and meal.

By the afternoon, crowds were growing (schools in the area were closed, so I'm told), and weather *SEEMED* to be improving.

We left the park, back to the BW, and actually went into the pool. And guess what. It rained cats & dogs on us in the pool... UGH!!!

The evening found us in a wet, wet, wet EPCOT. We found ourselves in the familiar Rose & Crown Pub, and took turns taking the kids around WS to see characters or visit the two boat rides. These were often wet adventures.

So summize, weather is wet.
Forecast is for still more wet.
But we watch the news and are VERY GRATEFUL that we're here in WDW; the damage to surrounding communities is very, very bad. People are losing much and for whatever reason, government(s) seem slow in their response (watching TV, anyways).

Please pray for these folks; or at least keep them in your thoughts.

Anyways, it's Saturday morning. We're all awake, and we're looking at a...BLUE SKY!!! Clouds are moving by quickly (still lots of wind), but even with the "passing showers," the forecast is better than it's been in four days.

Grab those ponchos! :mickey:

DVC upgrade, awesome. Almost makes the downpours worth it, huh Frank?
Jym,
I was shocked when we got a "DVC Upgrade." Never saw that coming. Upgraded room for four nights, upgraded view for all nine nights. Who woulda thunk it?

I see your buddies at FF tonight!!! Really looking forward to it. :tasty:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-23-2008, 05:53 PM
I feel so sorry for the people in Florida, for a tropical storm Fay's been very hard on them...we are already get rain and winds from it even though its not supposed to be over us until tomorrow....on a positive note, it sounds like you guys made the most of it:)

pdrlkr
08-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

faline
08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
You're clearing Disney World troupers - soldiering on despite the weather! Thanks for keeping us updated!