PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear Advice Please

deva
08-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Last year we went to Disney and my son was miserable & did not want to go to the parks on a rainy day. At the time, I had the standard plastic ponchos & umbrellas, but this did not seem to do the trick for him. I promised him next trip (which is coming up this October) that we would get good rain gear. Granted, he needs to toughen up, but given the investment we are putting into our vacation I'm not looking to teach him to buck up at this time, so I'm looking for advice on what type of rain gear to by my kids that will be superior to ponchos & plastic pants.

I'd like to spend a reasonable amount. I could probably spend $300 on Gore-tex and be fine, but I'm looking for something a little more reasonably priced.

Please advise.

kakn7294
08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
DH has an outfit that he wears to run in the rain. I purchased it for him at WalMart in the camping section. It's pants and a jacket but the materials are much nicer than the standard plastic poncho. It probably cost me about $20 - $30 each piece. Perhaps that would work?

thumperbug
08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Definitely invest a few $ into better rain gear. We put some nice rain ponchos at Traget in the camping section for about $5 each. They are definitely studier then the dollar store buys. As mentioned, you could probably get some rain pants as well but keep in mind that anything made of plastic will get a bit sweaty inside.

AvonleaCF
08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
I have a great rain coat from LL Bean. It's extremely light-weight and can fold up into a quart-sized plastic bag. It has a hood and zips up.

I also have something very similar that I got at Disney World a few years ago. It only zips half way so you have to pull it over, but it's also very light weight, yet good against the rain. Plus it has a small Mickey on the front.

joonyer
08-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Keep in mind that if you buy a rain suit, (pants and jacket) it is going to be very hot to wear once it stops raining (unless you are going in Dec. or Jan.), and you will have to take it off and carry it around with you once the rain stops. And I'd rather just get wet than have to do that. Even a breathable (gore-tex) suit will be very warm once the sun comes back out, and in Orlando, 98% the time the rain showers are not all day affairs.

That's why most experience raingoers at WDW opt for the disposable ponchos. You can buy several before your trip at a dollar store (for $1 each), they pack very small and light and after it stops raining you can just throw them away instead of carrying wet gear for the rest of the day.

Usually, if the rain is going to last all-day (which is rare) you can find out from the weather channel that day and decide if you think a full a rain suit is necessary.

Janmac
08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm not a big fan of ponchos either. The corners drip on me and for some reason that's a misery. I sympathize with your son. And I agree with you that while bucking up might be in order someday, that day isn't necessarily at the happiest place on earth.

You didn't say how old he is. There are many technical fabrics out there but some are not so available for younger kids. I like Goretex, and it is expensive, but it can keep a person dry. I had a Goretex rain coat from a discount, surplus place, probably spent a third of the suggested price. I think I could have stood in a waterfall and stayed dry. Except around the snaps. :D

I figure I'm going to get at least damp, so I go for quick drying. What I wear is supplex pants or shorts. This is a breathable fabric. Some supplex is noisier than others. The brushed, cottony-feel supplex is my favorite - it's quiet and comfy. Supplex drys almost instantly, blocks wind, and also seems to wear like iron. I don't know how such lightweight stuff can do all that, but it does. It's also difficult to find for toddlers and pre-teens. Search the outdoor outfitters.

I also wear a regular windbreaker (not Goretex) that claims to be breathable and water resistant (I think even waterproof but in torrential downpours I do get damp) and will fold up (supposedly) into its own pocket. I don't get the plastic ones because they are suffocating. Since the windbreaker folds up so nicely, it's easy to pack, once the rain quits, or I go inside.

It's gotten so I don't care to wear denim or cotton pants, the Supplex is so cool in summer and warm in winter. If you do get wet, you get dry again pretty quickly. And I wear wicking socks too.

IF you can find some supplex for your son, he might be much happier. When my grandson was in elementary school, he pretty much lived in supplex shorts during the summer. And for WDW in October, I think shorts would work. Hopefully you can find one of those breathable, water and wind resistant packable windbreakers (with hood). He should be fairly comfortable with that.

Good luck

Jan

MegaDisney
08-21-2008, 08:39 PM
This does not apply to the original poster, but one suggestion I have if you do opt for ponchos is to purchase them before you go and try and buy another color/configuration than the one's they sell at WDW.

The first time I went to WDW our group purchased them at the park. When we all had them on with the hoods up, it was impossible to differentiate my friends from the thousands of other people wearing the same yellow Mickey Ponchos. A couple of times I got seperated from my friends or struck up conversations about dinner plans with total strangers, thinking they were my friends. VERY EMBARASSING! :blush:

biodtl
08-21-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't know how old your son is, but if he is still in a stroller, I definitely recommend a stroller rain cover - we love ours and it keeps them totally protected from the rain, but still lets air flow through. And it easily fits in the storage when not in use.

Disney Lynn
08-22-2008, 08:33 AM
For the OP: why was your son unhappy? Has he been able to really explain exactly what bothered him about that last visit when it rained? Does he not like walking with wet sneakers? (then pack water shoes or sandals to slip on when it rains) Wet socks? (always carry an extra pair) Rain in his face? (Get him a wide brimmed rain hat- like Indiana Jones!) Taking ponchos on and off over his head? (get a jacket style coat) Wrong color poncho? Too long, too short? Wet long pants vs wet legs, etc

Have a heart to heart talk with him and find out what part of the rainy visit bothered him. Then brainstorm how he and you can solve the problem.