PDA

View Full Version : Need help making a choice!!!

ljv1975
08-20-2008, 11:04 AM
OK. Here is the deal. We are going to WDW in Sept. 2009 for DD's 4th birthday. We are staying for 9 nights and our current reservation is at POR in a standard room and the regular dining plan.
However, there are many places that I want to eat at this time around. I want to do character meals for the kids at breakfast time and some nicer places for dinner (Brown Derby, Le Cellier, maybe Citrico's), so that we aren't eating buffet and CS the whole time.

Anyway, after running some preliminary numbers, it looks like the deluxe dining plan would be the way to go with all the TS places I want to eat. However, it will be another $650 or so to upgrade. I don't think it's that big of a deal since we have almost a whole year before our balance is due, but DH is not coming around to seeing things my way.

Should I take our room from POR to POP? If we stay at POP with deluxe dining, it will cost a little less than what we are currently paying, BUT I want to stay at POR because the pool and playground look really nice for the kids. Plus, we are hoping for the trundle bed for DS.

So what would you do? Stay at POR and upgrade dining? Move to POP and upgrade dining? Stay at POR, keep regular dining and not eat at all the TS places?

Thanks! I'm sorry this is so long. I just want DD's b-day trip to be great!

Pop Centurion
08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
I've never stayed at POR but must admit it's a nice resort. IMO I think the kids may enjoy Pop more because of the theming, icons, and bright colors. I've always said that the thing I love most about Pop is the atmosphere which is also perfect for kids.
If you don't spend a whole lot of time in your room than I say go for Pop and save some $$$.
Also another option is to figure what it would cost you if you get the regular DP and pay out of pocket for some of the cheaper meals like the breakfast buffets. That may actual save you more money depending.

peemagg
08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
I think I would find a way to compromise with where you want to eat and character meals.

If you have already been to a place then I would mark it off the list unless it is a place that all want to eat at. If you are there for 7 days maybe 3 of the meals could be for the kids (or one per child) and the rest of them be where the adults want.

BronxTigger
08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
If you're going for your 4 year old's birthday, will your 4 year old want to spend that time at nice restaurants or would she get restless?

Since you already know where you want to eat, try running some numbers by looking at menus online (google them) and do a price comparison. Even with spending $650 more on the dining plan, you may come out ahead to spending it out of pocket...because maybe you will still be spending $650 (or more!) on dining, it will just be one meal at a time instead of all at once for the plan.

SBETigg
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I would stick with the regular dining plan and pay oop for some of the meals. You'll probably even out, but you won't have everything paid in advance.

Make a solid plan to maximize your points. You really won't need the Deluxe plan unless you plan to do a lot of signature dining. And I would rethink adding a lot of Signature restaurants, like Citricos, with a four year old in tow. Dinner takes a long time (hours) at Citricos and some of the other Signature places, and that can tax the patience of even the best behaved four year old.

Restaurants like Le Cellier, Grand Floridian Cafe, Rose & Crown, Marrakesh, and many others, provide relaxed table service dining that offer menus, not buffet, and take one credit on the dining plan. Also, some of the buffet character dining, particularly at breakfast time, is relatively inexpensive and easy to pay out of pocket vs using credits. You can make the most of the regular dining plan without having to switch resorts and go deluxe, perhaps.

Bri
08-20-2008, 04:10 PM
i would have to say go with the regular DP, stay at POR and pay for the character breakfasts out of pocket. we added an extra dinner so we are paying for our character breakfast out of pocket since they are significatly cheaper then a dinner. also, have you tried the dining plan estimator? and have you looked at the menus for the restaurants you're interested in to see how much you might be paying? we did the estimator and we are definatly saving money by doing the regular dining plan. go to the info central tab and scroll down to dining, you will find the menus and the dining plan estimator spreadsheet. i think that will help you make a better decision one way or the other. also, you could get lucky and get the regular dining plan for free if they do that same promo next year!

ljv1975
08-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. After thinking about it I've decided to just keep everything the way it is. I reminded myself that this trip is for our DD and we should be focusing on the things that she will be most interested in.

It's just so hard when you start looking at all of the great restaurants - you start to get carried away!! There are just so many places I'd love to try. Maybe someday DH and I will take a solo trip and we'll be able to eat at some of the signature restaurants!

Bri
08-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Hey Amber,

I just saw another post where someone was saying the free DDP was offered to UK residents already. That probably means it will be offered in the US as well, although that wouldn't be released until April 09. Keep your fingers crossed, maybe you can save even more money! That would make your DH happy!