PDA

View Full Version : Should we do the Trick or Treat Party?

maizey05
08-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Hi all! My family will be going to DL from Oct.19-24. I didn't really consider going to the Trick or Treat Party, but am now thinking it looks like fun. Is it worth the extra $$? (I might mention DH and I are taking our DS 20months.) Has anyone else taken a toddler? I know each person is different, but how did they do?

Aisling
08-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I've taken my kids - 17 (girl) and 10 (boy) for two years and last year they asked not to go again. I love Disney, so it was fun for me. For them, it was basically walking around, getting in line to get a piece of candy and then doing a few arts and crafts. For the price, I didn't feel it was a good deal. But... we have passes, so my kids are a bit jaded when it comes to Disneyland. I seem to recall that it was really dark when we were walking around, so if you do go, put your toddler in a costume that glows! And make sure it's comfortable enough to walk the park in - they candy stations are all around the park.

maizey05
08-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Hmmm, DS doesn't even know what candy is, so I doubt that would be any fun. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth the extra money. Besides, we'll get to see the fallish decor during the day. Thanks for the info.

badkitty
08-26-2008, 02:14 AM
:blackcat:I absolutely love MNSSHP and try to go several times each year! It is so much fun with all the guests in costumes. There is a special Halloween parade that is extremely enjoyable. Not to mention the fireworks display "Hallowishes". :fworks: One of the best displays I have seen in years (second only to DL's 50th aniversary.)

Even though it is only "penny" candy, there is something magical about filling up your bag. And the lines lighten up as the evening goes on so no need to jump into a long candy line. :hmghost:

FriendsofMickey
08-26-2008, 07:38 AM
I have not done DL with my girls, but I have done DW Halloween Party with them.
At the time they were 3 3/4 years old, so I would say they were still close to the toddler age.
Here was my thoughts:
* We loved the parade, my girls made us find a spot early and we just sat there waiting for it. :)
* We have always gone to Disney during slow times, we thought the party was PACKED! I have really never seen that many people in the park. DH has because he has visited in the summer.
*At the time, my girls really never had much candy (still don't really), so we skipped the lines for candy. The lines were very, very long when we walked around any way.
*We only stood in line for Alice and Wonderland (because my girls wanted to).
*My girls go to sleep no later than 9:00 PM now (at age 5 3/4), so back then staying in the parks past 9:00PM was really pushing it, so we left after the fireworks.
*We also loved the fireworks.

So, at the end of the day. I did really like the party; however, we have decided that we will wait for the girls to be around 10 before we return (if they still offer it then).

My girls however, would LOVE to go again. They thought it was great and have asked if they can go. I just do not think it is worth it at their age.... though, I have to admit to pricing it out the other day.... but, it was almost 200 (for maybe 2 1/2 hours?).
I am happy we tried it though.
Lori Ann

tinkwest
08-26-2008, 11:29 AM
:blackcat:I absolutely love MNSSHP and try to go several times each year! It is so much fun with all the guests in costumes. There is a special Halloween parade that is extremely enjoyable. Not to mention the fireworks display "Hallowishes". :fworks: One of the best displays I have seen in years (second only to DL's 50th aniversary.)

Even though it is only "penny" candy, there is something magical about filling up your bag. And the lines lighten up as the evening goes on so no need to jump into a long candy line. :hmghost:

This doesn't really apply since MNSSHP (WDW) is totally different from Mickey's Trick-or-Treat Party (DLR). No parade or special fireworks. Well maybe the "character cavalcade" could be considered a parade.

Aisling
09-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Tinkwest, thank you SO much for clearing that up! I was trying to think why we missed the fireworks - because there weren't any! My brain is getting too old for this remembering stuff. Special fireworks would've made a huge difference for us. We love the show at DL and have been known to drive up just for the fireworks and drive home. Okay, not so much now that gas is a gazillion dollars a gallon. :(

HndrdPrcnt
09-01-2008, 08:00 PM
My recommendation is to wait on the Halloween party until your DS is a few years older. I really do think that at this point it would be a waste. Plus, I think that you would enjoy yourselves if he was a bit older as well. We have taken our DDs to DL while they were toddlers and it is not that we regretted it, but we both agreed that it would have been a bit more fun if the girls were a bit older!

Marla
09-02-2008, 12:18 PM
We went last year, and we have purchased our tickets for this year. The candy was very generous and you also had the choice of raisins, carrots, and apple slices. They have more decorations at night than they do during the day. The character interaction is also much more during the party. There are meet-n-greets as well as characters dancing at the different locations where music was provided. We are in the over 50 crowd, we wore costumes and had a ton of fun.:tink: