PDA

View Full Version : Need new washing machine - Help!

WDW&MK
08-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Unfortunately, the repair guy said I need a new washing machine. Mine has a transmission that is leaking onto the clothes and the repair person said don't even bother to get it fixed, just get a new one. :(

So, I would really appreciate your opinions. I think we are looking at a front-load because it is more energy efficient. I'd love opinions on what you like, don't like and what brand. The two that were recommended by sales people in the store were LG brand and Whirlpool. I am sooo confused!! Also, a little nervous about giving up my top-load machine of 15+ years and getting so many bells and whistles on the new machines. Do you even use all of those features?
Thanks in advance for any info!

NotaGeek
08-19-2008, 10:45 PM
I have a whirlpool front load washer and I absolutely LOVE it and will never own a regular washer again. It washes clothes really well and the handling is SO much more gentle ... you will be astounded at how soft and clean your clothes are compared to before! AND ... you can do lots of more laundry at once.

Only downside ... if you forget something that should be in the washer or load something that is an accident once the cycle starts there's no opening the door! OOPS ... I have even started the washer with no clothes in it before!

DizneyRox
08-19-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm running an older (6 years) Maytag Neptune front loader and we have had not even one issue with it. Love the way it works, it's quiet, has been reliable, etc.

I would definietly look into another front loading washer again.

LauraleeH
08-19-2008, 11:18 PM
I will ask my dad as soon as I can. He's sick so I don't want to bother him now, but he repairs appliances. He is the number 2 repairman in America so he definitely knows what he's talking about :thumbsup:

AHOTE
08-19-2008, 11:46 PM
I bought a GE high efficency large capacity front loader two years ago and it was the best washer I have ever used. I'd never go back to a top loader. It's quiet and easy to use, it uses 1/3 the water of the old top loader, the clothes are clean and soft and they dry quicker. BTW it replaced an Admiral top loader that was only three months old. That machine was described as "possessed" by the factory repairman after the 5th time he was out to fix it.

Jen C.
08-20-2008, 06:40 AM
I may be in the minority here, but we switched this past winter to a top of the line Whirlpool front loader, and I don't love it.

My biggest problem is, in order to not mildew, or mold, or just plain stink, the door of the washer needs to be left ajar to "air out". Also, you should leave your dispenser trays open as those collest moisture also. There is also maintenance with needing to clean the washer using the special clean cycle with tablets and/or bleach. Depending on the layout of your laundry room, it may be inconvenient to constantly have your door open. We bought the pedestals so at least the door issue would be up a little higher, but it still is a nuisance. I mainly bought it for it's "green" qualities,but I understand that some top loaders now boast similar eco friendly options. I might consider one of those next. But at $1800 let's hopw I don't need one for a while!!;)

thrillme
08-20-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm looking at getting a new washer too. Particularly the LG. All reviews I've read seem to point to them.

These new high efficiency washers are wonderful. A friend of mine bought a Whirlpool Duet. Fantastic washer (when it's working). I had a sleeping bag that had sat in the back of an old pickup for YEARS. I was loaded in muck, much, car fluids, oil...etc. I was going to throw it out...She washed it and OH MY...it came out so clean that it's now sitting in my hall closet.

The problem she has is that they have a very powerful spin on them...If you don't have the washer on a concrete slab...one of the cards that operates the machine seems to wriggle out of place very easily. In addition the filter seemed to plug up a lot. However hers was one of the first models that came out. This may have been fixed by now. But she's had a lot of challenges. She has been known to be pretty hard on washers but...I'd be inclined to stay away from the Duet based on personal experience.

I've a couple of other friends and in-laws who have Kenmores and LG's and they haven't had ANY issue with them whatsoever. My washer and dryer still work OK but these new HE machines are AMAZING. The last time I was over at my in-laws for a visit I used their washer. I was almost embarrassed...my clothes came out so clean it was evident there were some small stains (not a big deal on "junk" clothes for sleeping or working around the house in)...that came totally clean. Everything was MUCH brighter, fluffier and fresher. (not that it was "dirty" it was just REALLY clean)

They ARE expensive but they are sooooo much better than your regular washer.

RedSoxFan
08-20-2008, 08:33 AM
We bought a Maytag Neptune front loader in 6/2000. We have had a few problems with it --- one being the circuit board had to be replaced. No problems with the Neptune dryer. We still have both machines; but I rarely use them. We bought the front loading washer/dryer from Sears a year ago --- love them. Very quiet and not one problem. My sister has the Sears brand too and loves it.

scoot241
08-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I may be in the minority here, but we switched this past winter to a top of the line Whirlpool front loader, and I don't love it.

My biggest problem is, in order to not mildew, or mold, or just plain stink, the door of the washer needs to be left ajar to "air out". Also, you should leave your dispenser trays open as those collest moisture also. There is also maintenance with needing to clean the washer using the special clean cycle with tablets and/or bleach. Depending on the layout of your laundry room, it may be inconvenient to constantly have your door open. We bought the pedestals so at least the door issue would be up a little higher, but it still is a nuisance. I mainly bought it for it's "green" qualities,but I understand that some top loaders now boast similar eco friendly options. I might consider one of those next. But at $1800 let's hopw I don't need one for a while!!;)

My parents have the same complaints about needing to air out the washer, and even that doesn't help sometimes. They had to purchase a tablet online (IIRC it's called "Smelly Washer") to clean out the odor. Less water and highly-concentrated soap promote this smell.

Partially because of my parents' complaints (and that the front loaders are really expensive), we bought a GE washer and dryer in March. They work great, but can be a little loud. Our laundry room has a door, so we don't really notice it, but without the door shut it can get loud.

TheDuckRocks
08-20-2008, 11:13 AM
OK, here's something I recently learned when I had to have a repairman out for my dishwasher.......Whirlpool now owns and makes over 80% of the appliance brands sold today. Kenmore, KitchenAid, and Maytag are 3 that I remember him listing. Interesting as there is a big price range there.

PlutoToo
08-20-2008, 11:16 AM
My neighbors have a Bosch(sp?) front loading washers and LOVE the. One is on a hydropower system and says if she can run a light bulb, she can do laundry. The clothes come out very clean and much drier than a regular washer. Like one poster mentioned, once the door is locked it stays locked til the load is done. And it seems to take longer to do a load. I want to get one when my fairly new washer dies, but I expect it will be a while.

mdhiggin
08-20-2008, 12:46 PM
We bought our washer and dryer after buying a whole kitchen full of appliances for our new home, so we went with the basic Whirlpool top loader. There are no bells and whistles. My repairman came to fix some of my fancy kitchen appliances, and he saw my washer and dryer. He said they were the best thing. He said he had to repair the front loaders a lot and they didn't wash well. When you reduce the amount of water, you reduce the washing power. I had Whirlpools before we built this house too, and we bought those used. We gave them away when we built this house, even though they still worked.

tinkerbellybutton
08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Bruce bought me a Maytag Neptune a couple of years ago and I absolutely wouldn't trade it! It's awesome. He also built a riser to go under it, it's front load so I would have had to bend down to load and unload. We haven't had any issues with the exception of DD not knowing when she first moved back in that you use far less detergent. I looked like that episode of the Brady Bunch :blush:

RedSoxFan
08-20-2008, 03:42 PM
We haven't had any issues with the exception of DD not knowing when she first moved back in that you use far less detergent. I looked like that episode of the Brady Bunch :blush:

They make special detergent for front end loaders. They have HE on the bottle. I use Tide HE.

WDW&MK
08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the info! :thumbsup: When you haven't bought one of these in 15 years, there's a lot of new technology to get caught up on! I can always count on my fellow intercotees for great info! Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Someone told me the front loaders have to be packed pretty full with clothes to do a good job. Do any of you find that to be true? Do any of you think that you bought a unit that had too large a capacity for you, so it doesn't work well?
Thanks!!
Kari

Ed
08-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Only downside ... if you forget something that should be in the washer or load something that is an accident once the cycle starts there's no opening the door! OOPS ... I have even started the washer with no clothes in it before!

Like one poster mentioned, once the door is locked it stays locked til the load is done.

We bought the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer set 2 years ago, and have had ZIP ZERO NADA problems with them. :thumbsup:

On the Neptunes, if you just press the dial, the washer (and dryer, too) goes into "pause" mode, and once the water settles down, the door is unlocked, so you can add those forgotten items. Once you close the door, you press the dial again, and it resumes where it left off. There's also an LED that shows when the door is locked; when you hit pause, and the light goes out, you know it's safe to open the door.

You can also just hit the power button, and the washer will drain and unlock.

Jasper
08-20-2008, 06:05 PM
In the past five years we had a Maytag Neptune, a Whirlpool front loader, and now an LG at our home. I will NEVER buy any product from Maytag or Whirlpool again!! Not only were the machines horrible and kept breaking down it was almost impossible to get the manufactures to stand behind their warranties!

I do have to say that we really like our LG's and they have held up longer than the Maytag and Whirlpool combined did. My parents have GE front loaders and really love them as well.

As for not using all the functions, shop around and ask to see catalogs if you can't find what you are looking for on the sales floor. Also, consider going to an independent retailer to purchase rather than through the big box stores like Lowes or the Home Depot. The big box stores only carry a few models of each product line while an independent franchise dealer for like GE will have the entire line up of washers and dryers available. Also going with an independent franchise dealer commonly gives you better service if you do have problems with your machines.

Aggie97
08-20-2008, 09:19 PM
We purchased an LG front-loading washer (and corresponding dryer) last year and have been really pleased with them. My parents and some other relatives also have been happy with their LG machines.

As a previous poster indicated, we are able to open the door after the washer has started by pressing the dial and waiting briefly for the machine to go into pause mode and unlock the door.

daparish
08-20-2008, 10:44 PM
He said he had to repair the front loaders a lot and they didn't wash well. When you reduce the amount of water, you reduce the washing power.

I have heard the same thing. A friend of mine bought a new washer and really wanted a front loader and the salesman actually talked her out of it and said he has more complaints from the front loaders.

thrillme
08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
YES front loaders can usually be "pretty" full but I don't know if you necessarily "pack" them with clothes other than the fact that "normally" they are bigger than they look and they "naturally" have a bigger load capacity. I know it's easy to wash a fluffy king sized comforter in them and one of my girlfriends washes throw rugs too.

diz_girl
08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
We recently purchased a new washing machine. We had a top-loader and switched to a front-loader. We got a Frigidaire Affinity and we love it. It got great ratings from Consumer Reports and it's not as expensive as other front-loaders.

It uses less water and electricity than top-loaders, plus your clothes come out of the washer so dry that drying time was cut in half. As for the detergent, as a pp mentioned, you need to use detergent for HE (high efficiency) machines. Seventh Generation also makes a HE detergent.

It cost about $830 (not including tax). Fridigaire also makes a slightly less expensive model (I forget the name), which also scored very well with Consumer Reports.

IamBelle
08-21-2008, 09:49 AM
I have a Bosch front loader and I love it! It is so simple to use! You put the soap, fabric softener, etc then put the dial on cold, hot, etc and hit start. No fancy things at all! (I am 16, and was intimidated by my older washing machine, but this one is so simple!) It also spins the clothes fast, so they are practically dry right out of the wash! The only thing you would need to put it on is a tiled floor or a basement type floor so it won't shake the whole house.