PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex to open Oct 14

WDWdriver
08-19-2008, 01:50 PM
The following news article is from the Cast Portal:

T-Rex roars into Downtown Disney
08/18/2008

The new T-Rex restaurant is causing quite a stir as it nears the opening date in October. The 30,000-square foot restaurant soon will become home to many dinosaurs, Audio-animatronics and stationary.

On Wednesday, Aug. 13, two dinosaurs were delivered and unloaded in preparation for the restaurant's grand opening. The largest dinosaur, a Tyrannosaurus Rex, is estimated to be 45-feet long from snout to tail and will be the intimidating figure that greets Guests.

Steve Schussler, founder and creator of the T-Rex restaurant, was here to oversee the unloading, inviting several children to have their own dinosaur experience. Along with the crewmen, Steve helped the children onto the flatbed truck so they could have a close encounter with the large reptile.

The kids weren't the only ones excited for the dinosaurs' arrival. Steve is excited to share this prehistoric experience with Walt Disney World Guests, where they can eat, shop, explore and discover.

"We've got approximately 30 different dinosaurs on the inside, a quarter of a million dollars in fossils embedded in the men's room and ladies' room, with educational comments so you can learn about them. Most of the fossils in there is literally 45 [million to] 80 million years old," Steve said. "There's an experience everywhere you look."

The restaurant will have water, fire and ice elements with features like the an ice cave, a Kitchen of Fire, a meteorite shower every 20 minutes and an aqua bar complete with a 6,000-gallon shark tank and a large octopus with mechanical tentacles.

Kids will be entertained and educated with the sluice, Build-A-Dino and the Discovery Dig to excavate fossils and interactive Paleo screens.

The restaurant is scheduled to open Oct. 14.

ariel326
08-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Sounds great...keep us posted.!

NJGIRL
08-19-2008, 03:04 PM
The restaurant is scheduled to open Oct. 14.

That's odd because I emailed the company a couple of weeks ago and they told me the opening would be in late November.:confused:

prttynpnk
08-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Any info on the menu? Don't shoot me- Is it just a glorified dinosaur Bennigans?

TexasPrincessAurora
08-19-2008, 04:17 PM
We are not going to be able to get DS to leave when we go in December for his 5th birthday!

NJGIRL
08-19-2008, 04:29 PM
I just emailed T Rex and got a responce immediately! They are ahead on their construction schedule and will open mid Oct but no date is set in stone yet.

As for reservations.....they will not be taking any until Jan 2009 so for the first three months the restaurant will be walk in only.

NJGIRL
08-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Any info on the menu? Don't shoot me- Is it just a glorified dinosaur Bennigans?

They have a web site with their menu. If you don't like the RFC you probably won't like T Rex.

huzzah4
08-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Is there any word on whether or not they will be accepting the dining plan?

ariel326
08-19-2008, 05:33 PM
They will not be accepting Disney dining plan. It is not a Disney owned co, its owned by same company as Rainforest Cafe.

SurferStitch
08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
AWESOME!!!!

I was hoping they would be ahead of schedule, and be open during our trip!!!

We'll have to do a lunch there. We plan on hanging out in the Marketplace for the day before we go to MNSSHP that night, so it would be a perfect time to try it out!

COOL!!!! :thumbsup:

thrillme
08-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Totally unbelievable...:mad: We leave on Oct 13th. RATZ

bmj721
08-19-2008, 08:45 PM
We arrive Dec 5th. DS and DH are both VERY hyped.
:thumbsup:

Meerkat
08-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Good news. I can't wait to check it out.

Sunshine1010
08-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Walk-ins will be accepted (only) until January 2009?....

.....I suppose I'll have to 'hunker down' and be prepared to wait 2+ hours so my son can eat there!

bkfree
08-20-2008, 11:01 AM
My allears newsletter today said that you could call WDW-DINE for reservations.
So that means only ADR's starting in Jan.

UGHHH we are going Dec 3-10. I guess the best plan of attack is to try and arrive before 11 for lunch at DTD.

What website is the menu on????

MushuGrl
08-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Google T-Rex Cafe. That's how I found it.

And I'm already psyched for it.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
08-20-2008, 09:48 PM
My husband and I can't wait to try it!!! It's going to be an amazing restaurant. VERY COOL!!!! We'll either go on our first day down there on Nov. 24th; a day of relaxation and no parks, or our last day Dec. 5th; not seeing Mickey for another year. Cannot wait to see the inside of it. We'll be taking lots of photos.:joy:

r4kids
08-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I tried to make a ressie for Jan 13 and the agent told me it was a quick service location. She said no ressie was needed :confused: She said to call back in a few weeks to see if it changes.

Minnie Imagineer
08-21-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm going in march...I hope I can get a table, seems like it will be crowded!

countrycharmer
08-21-2008, 09:53 AM
I tried calling last night around 8:20 P.M. and they said that as of yet they do not have an exact opening date and thus cannot start taking or offering reservations.... seems to me like they themselves do not necessarily know what is going on! When I mentioned to reservationist that it was to be opened on October 14th, she was surprised.

We will be there 12/23 through 1/4 and have wanted to go since we first heard about it's development.

Guess we'll have to keep checking.

elmjimmlm
08-21-2008, 10:20 AM
I also called about it yesterday and I was told that they didnt have any info and would not know anything until Oct...I asked about the dining plan and they didnt know if it would be offered to call back in Oct...