PDA

View Full Version : Old Orchard Beach Trip Report: Day 2, A Gray Day in Maine

darthmacho
08-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Got up after our first night at Comfort Suites and attempted to have our complimentary continental breakfast in the nook downstairs, but the place was poorly laid out and had limited seating, so though the crowd wasn't big, everyone was clustering around a really slow toaster and waffle maker, making it nearly impossible to get your food and sit and eat it in a timely manner. Also, the woman running the place was getting snippy with anyone who came in even remotely close to the 9 o'clock finish time, which seemed to strike DW the wrong way. In any case, we had some decent free food and even though we had to eat it standing in the lobby, it worked out okay.

Outside the sky was gray, and the forecast called for rain, though it would never actually rain until after we got back. That day we went to Gray, Maine, home of the Maine Wildlife Park, refuge to sick or injured indiginous animals that were unable to be rehabilitated back into the wild. The highlights included my favorite animal, the black bear, of which there were three, and we got to feed two. Another interesting animal was a beautiful female bobcat with just three legs, the fourth having been ripped off by a large porcupine-hunting weasel called a fisher. The bobcat got around so well, and was so beautiful, that we didn't even notice her handicap.

Though bears are my favorite, the biggest thrill of the day came when for the first itme in my life, I got to see an adult bull moose. It was quite impressive, and despite its reputaation for being ugly and awkward looking, I find moose to be quite beautiful. I was a little disappointed when this bull spent the whole time sitting and chewing cud, so that I never got to see its true size. He looked pretty enormous. one day, in New Hampshire or Maine, i want to go on a moose safari, where you get a guided tour of wild moose haunts. That is a definite goal of mine.

After the park, we were already north of Portland, so we decided to stay in the area and drive over to Freeport, home of many outlet stores and also the home of LL Bean headquarters and largets store. though we only stopped in to use the bathroom, LL Bean was like the Disney Store meets the wilderness, as the inside was as decorated and themed as well as any theme park. We had lunch in Gritty McDuff's a popular local chain with its own brewery, and I got to try their summer ale with a pair of lobster rolls, which I was really getting antsy for after being "Down East" for a whole 24 hours without so much as a sniff of my favorite crustacean!

Anyway, the lobster was decent, but the real reason we had gone to Frreport was to visit a bakery which was famous in Maine for its Wicked Whoopies, homemade whoopie pies that come in a variety of delicious flavors. We got a good supply of those delicious cakes and were fully satisfied. I even bought a Wicked Whoopie t-shirt!

After some more shopping, we decided to head back, and we stopped at Amatos, a local take out chain which also served as a liquor store, so I got myself a six pack of Geary's a locally brewed beer with a lobster on the label. Not being much of a drinker, that six pack lasted me the whole week, but it was a good beer nonetheless. I washed down the day's third lobster roll with a Geary's Summer Ale. After a bite we all went down to the indoor pool, which despite the clainm that it was heated was pretty cold. It was also small, but the kids had fun anyway, I sat by the pool and read. Later we went back to the room to retire for the night.

Stay Tuned for Day 3, A Whale of a Disapointment. :whale: :sad:

SBETigg
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Oh cool, you went to Wicked Whoopies! Everything else sounds fun, too. Lobster rolls, at last! Now that's the way to eat in Maine. :thumbsup:

Beast_fanatic
08-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Are you going to post any pictures?