PDA

View Full Version : What do you at night when the baby is in bed?

diz_girl
08-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Just some background - my little guy will be 17 months when we visit WDW in December. He is a very good sleeper at night, from about 7-8 p.m. to 7 a.m. He needs to be in bed by 8 p.m., and he needs the room to be dark (so no lights) and for it to be quiet (so no TV or conversation in the room).

He normally doesn't fall asleep in his stroller. If anything he zones out, so I'm not going to rely on him to pass out in the stroller in the parks and continuing to walk around. So most nightls, we'll need to either stay in the room or sit on the balcony while he sleeps. We'll be staying at the WL in a Courtyard View room, so we do have a balcony and should have a view of Bay Lake (I requested the view), but I don't recall how dark it is on the balcony at night. It's a large party (four rooms), so we can't afford to switch to VWL to get 1-br villas (even if there was availability), because that would cost an extra $700-$1,000 per room for the stay.

So, I was wondering what do you do at night when the baby is sleeping. Do the balconies have a light, so I could at least read? Do portable DVD players come in handy to watch movies on the balcony? What do you do until it's time to go to sleep?

crazeedizneefinatic
08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Unfortunately, I have never had this problem, my son sleeps anywhere, lol. But really thinking about your question I would pack travel games, cards and such. You could always bring along some candles just in case there is not light on the balcony. What a romantic way to unwind. A portable DVD player would be good since you don't need light for that. My only thinking though is I don't think it will be pitch black out at 8pm at night. I would try and pack some snacks and such too, I don't know about you but sitting down and unwinding makes me hungry, LOL!!!!

Insanity Clause
08-18-2008, 05:40 PM
That is a tricky one. I have a baby that required it dark as well. You might be able to have one small lamp on with a low watage or cover it on his side so it is dark. I would recommend the portable DVD player though since he will be going down at 8pm.

thumperbug
08-18-2008, 05:55 PM
YOur baby may surprise you. He may be so tired at the end of the day that once he goes to sleep, it won't really matter if there is a little bit of light or noise.

Madame Leona
08-18-2008, 06:10 PM
When I went with my little one, I just went to bed the same time he did. I was so tired from the parks that it just made sense. Plus, he was off schedule with all of the changes and would get up at 5 in the morning saying, "Go, go go."

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
08-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Can you bring a tension rod and shower curtain? I dont know how those rooms are set up... but the Values have an area outside the bathroom where the closet area is... you could put up the rod and curtain, and it would be dark in there for him.
put the pak n play there... then you would have the living space where once he was asleep, you could turn on a low light or dvd player?

Ropachs
08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Have a relaxing beverage on the balcony and get some great sleep yourself!

PetefromRI
08-18-2008, 08:35 PM
When our kids were little we stayed in the Wilderness Cabins and it worked out great.When the kids went to bed we had the whole living area to ourselves including the deck.I think now I might be inclined to get connecting rooms at a value.Back when we stayed at Fort Willy they didn't have values.

thrillme
08-18-2008, 08:53 PM
He may surprise you and pass out the second his head hits the pillow.

While one of you is putting him down perhaps the other can sneak off to the hotels resturant/food court and perhaps one night you and your hubby can share a nice dessert and watch a movie on a portable DVD player, or perhaps enjoy a glass of wine and some candlelight.

I'm not sure how big the balconies are but maybe you can invite another couple over for a game of cards or dominos or some type of board game. Or ya'll can shop around for a nice two player game like Othello.

Ideally you have until "December" when you go. You might consider "training" your little one to tolerate some noise and light. A low radio in his room just before bed or even just after he goes to sleep or a color changing nightlight. My DS loved slow blinking colored christmas lights above his crib (secured on the ceiling so he couldn't reach them). I have a friend of mine whom I gave a nice color changing nightlight. The colors fading and changing drifted her little off in no time.

jonahbear2006
08-19-2008, 02:36 AM
4 kids here and let me tell ya quick background here. My kids dont sleep anywhere but their beds, none of them ever did. They go to bed at 6, yes 6pm, and get up at 6, everyday. They also nap everyday from 10-12 so I expected our first trip when the kids were 6, 4,2,7mths to be an absolute nightmare. It was the first time in my life that my kids slept in their strollers and the first time we layed them all down and they conked out, no problems. We were all in the same tent and we were able to leave a light on and the laptop running. IF, you get there and you find that this is NOT the case for you then i would suggest you guys retreat to the bathroom for a few minutes and take turns taking hot baths, or one can lie in the bath and read or listen to quiet music with the bath bombs from Grand floridian, oooooh, while the other is given a chance to walk around in the lobby and check it out. My husband and I usually take turns bathing and the other sits there and talks. It is great downtime and you can add the laptop in too if you have one. It is a great way to journal your trip, one day at a time. Once baby is asleep I bet you will be able to go back to the room, turn on a light and play a game or chat or watch tv. Disney wears kids out like NO OTHER! And you will be suprised how well their schedule fits to your ability to stay out and enjoy your evening. Goodluck! Have a great trip!

KatGat
08-19-2008, 08:44 AM
sleep

TheRustyScupper
08-19-2008, 08:47 AM
1) I would start making some noise, like a radio or TV, before coming.
. . . you might want to get the child used to some noise in the room
. . . you might have to sit in if it rains (based upon time of year, it is common)
. . . you might have noisy neighbors (they can be quieted only after 11:00pm)
2) Your options are severely limited.
3) The balconies are pretty small, but you can fit a chair and sit out.
4) However, some balconies have a railing wall instead of railing posts.
5) Thus, you need to stand to see over them.
6) You don't know in advance which ones you get.

sisterslovindisney
08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure how the WLis set up, but since you have 4 rooms maybe you could get connecting rooms with another in your party and while your baby sleeps in your room you and your husband could go to the other room. Take a baby monitor with you and it will be just like your at home. You can keep the door in between the two rooms open a little just in case.

LisaP
08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
My son is usually the same way, very picky about his surroundings and especially at bedtime. I was worried when we went in June that bedtime would be a problem, especially since we expected to be awake later.

He is 2 years old, and I can tell you he was so exhausted from the over-stimulation that he was out cold, no problems at all. I brought my iPod with a travel speaker so we played his usual lullaby music before bedtime. It helped with the transition in a strange place/bed.

We stayed at WL with a courtyard view. We were able to keep the TV on (low volume) and a small lamp by the desk.

The balcony is very small, enough room to sit in the chair. I used my down time to sit at the desk and review the park maps and attractions to plan our our next day, and write our postcards to family. Hubby would make a snack run for a nice dessert and perhaps an adult beverage to bring back to the room. I took a few trips to the gift store.

Honestly, by the time you get situated, clear out your bag/stuff from the day and repack/prepare for the next day, shower, you'll probably be ready for bed too :)

Remember, in December it gets dark around 5pm on the east coast, so darkness won't be a problem. Also, the drapes are very heavy in the room, so even if you need darkness for an afternoon nap you're covered!

MickeyChick
08-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I paid for a Kids Night Out babysitter to sit in the dark, quiet room and the grown-ups went to the Adventurer's Club. It was pricey, but totally worth it to not have to spend all our nights in the room.

KAT1811
08-19-2008, 08:18 PM
YOur baby may surprise you. He may be so tired at the end of the day that once he goes to sleep, it won't really matter if there is a little bit of light or noise.

As a mother of 3 and expecting my fourth I can say that all of my children also pass right out in WDW. No problems. Although, they are also vey good sleepers and travelers so we can read and watch TV after they are asleep. I feel for you since yours cannot.

My advice would be to bring a book light (the special little lights that only emit enough light to illuminate your book page). They work wonderfully and should not disturb your little one. A protable DVD player is a great idea. DH and I just like to sit and talk. Usually we would have a drink (not for me this trip since I'm avec baby) and enjoy the quiet time alone with no interuptions.

I also agree that you'll probably find yourself just as tired as your little one by the end of the day. Some nights I was in bed along with the children and felt great the next morning.

It might not be a bad idea to get your little one used to some outside noise before your trip. It would probably help both of you. Unless he is ultra sensitive to noise I bet you'll be fine.

Good luck and have a great trip!!!!!!!!