PDA

View Full Version : Spamalot

DisneyDog
08-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Has anyone else here seen this show? I got to see it yesterday in Philly at the Academy of Music. LOVED IT SO MUCH!!! It was really funny, and so well thought out. Eric Idle is a genius.

I got really lucky. The actor who played King Arthur was named Gary Beach. He starred in the original Broadway production of The Producers as Roger DiBris, and then took over the role of Max Bialystock when Nathan Lane left. He was then cast as Roger DiBris again in the movie version. I had no idea he was going to be in it, but he is amazing.

The entire rest of the cast was amazing too. They were obviously all Python fans, as it seemed to be almost more of a tribute/labor of love.

If you are a Python fan you must see this show. It was mostly based on Holy Grail, but there was other stuff from other movies and the Flying Circus thrown in there too (like the two guards arguing over how a swallow would carry the coconut to England...and then they thew in the "beautiful plumage" line from Dead Parrot. I wasn't sure how many others actually caught that.

NotaGeek
08-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I saw Spamalot in Las Vegas for the first time and thought it was absolutely hysterical. My sides ached from laughing so hard ... it's a wonderful show, and I think they did a good job of making it a show for everyone, not just Monty Python fans ... but the fans definitely caught the jokes.

DisneyDog
08-18-2008, 03:33 PM
My mom saw it a few months ago, down in Florida. I was sure she wouldn't like it because she always shunned the Pythons. I always tried to watch them with me when I was a kid. But, she loved it and thought it was hysterical. If she got it, then they definitely did a great job of making it funny for everyone.

ChipnDaleGal
08-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I have loved Monty Python since I was a teenager and I agree that Spamalot is sheer genius. I am a little obsessed with the cast recording right now, it is all I listen to in my car. I have seen it twice onstage and it is coming to South Bend this theatre season and we hope to see it at least twice while it is town. So funny.

DisneyDog
08-19-2008, 03:37 PM
I just requested it at my library. I plan on listening to it quite a lot. I have the song "I am not dead yet" stuck in my head right now! It is very catchy.

ChipnDaleGal
08-20-2008, 05:55 AM
I just requested it at my library. I plan on listening to it quite a lot. I have the song "I am not dead yet" stuck in my head right now! It is very catchy.

I get the fish slapping song stuck in my head! :D My daughter has the Not Dead Yet t shirt and it makes me smile everytime she wears it. Spamalot has all the naughty joy that was at the heart of Monty Python. It really is a lovely musical tribute to those six men.

Aggie97
08-20-2008, 10:46 PM
I loved Spamalot! We saw it a couple years ago and thought it was absolutely hilarious. :)

Alligirl
08-21-2008, 12:32 AM
We saw it a few months back and loved it! My DD loves Clay Aiken & Monty Python so it was a great day for her! I am the python fan that introduced her to it so I loved it, but surprisingly so did my DH! This from the man who asked as we walked through Times Square "Oh wait ... This is the play from that stupid movie with the coconuts?!?";)

The funniest part was when one of the actors started to ad-lib about what was happening in the news the day before about our shameful Governor and his "personal" problems. He had the audience and the rest of the cast hysterical!!

DisneyDog
08-21-2008, 11:32 AM
In our show, they pulled a woman out of the audience (she was "hiding" the grail). Turns out, her last name was Friedman...so of course, they made a big deal over her because she had a Jewish name and therefore, they could put on their Broadway show! Too funny.

I saw Holy Grail for the first time when I was FOUR years old, believe it or not. It was in the movie theater and my dad took me. Of course, I didn't get it. But, I always remembered the "killer rabbit." LOL.

Scar
08-21-2008, 12:22 PM
... like the two guards arguing over how a swallow would carry the coconut to England...Do you mean an African or a Euopean Swallow?

DisneyDog
08-21-2008, 01:46 PM
I believe it depends on the velocity. By now, it would be an ex-swallow. It might claim that it's just a flesh wound...

I could go on all day. :D