PDA

View Full Version : How are the discount rooms at swan/dolphin

moe513
08-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Just wondering what the rooms were like that you can get with the teacher/ nurse/government discount.

Thanks

Cookie123
08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Three Decembers in a row I got a room at Swan / Dolphin on the government rate. The rooms were beautiful and the beds were comfy.
The location is wonderful. The room was just a standard room, but nothing is skimped on because it is on the government rate.

Just one thing really bothered me ......

The only cups they had to drink out of was stryrofoam. This meant that I could not use my heating element to cook my water for oatmeal for my evening snack, nor could I make a cup of tea. Yes - I know that I could have used the coffee pot for my tea, but those pots taste like coffee no matter what you put in there. ( And I hate coffee )

Other than that ..... everything was great!

Mousemates
08-18-2008, 02:45 PM
We stayed in a standard room (with disocunt rate) this past July and our room was fine...we had a view of the lake and the dolphin (which i like, because of those big goofy fish on top, for whatever reason they capture my attention...but I digress). Our room was on the fourth or fifth floor. The feel of the room (in terms of comfort/style) reminded me of CR.

Some people dislike the lack of disney immersion/theming, but never one time did i feel like I was not at WDW during our stay. Especially nice was the ability to walk to Epcot and saunter over to the boardwalk for an evening of fun (the street entertainers were great...especially the hat guy and the bicycle/card trick man). The boat launches were also a definite plus.

PS if you stay, the bridge behind the dance hall is a great place ot watch the "tall fireworks at Epcot."

Artsake
08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
We stayed at the Swan & Dolphin (with gov't discount) in Sept 2006. We thought it was a really nice hotel. Our room was near the top (don't remember the exact level) it was very nice, we had a view of the dolphin portion of the hotel and we could also see the lake. The location of the hotel is great plus you get Disney transportation and extra magic hours even though the hotel is not Disney owned or operated. If you have a chance to stay there I would recommend it.

Goes4FastPass
08-18-2008, 06:43 PM
It's a fine value at a pair of fine resorts for those fine folks who qualify for that fine discount.

Have a great trip. I reccomend a early evening stroll over to Big River Grill and Brewing Works (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/resorts/bigrivergrille.asp)and a pint or 2 or 7 and ribs outside.

Staying at the Swan or Dolphin you won't even need a designated driver.

Tigerinvestigator
08-18-2008, 09:57 PM
We have stayed with the discount at both the Swan and Dolphin on numerous occasions. Our rooms have always been upgraded (we are starwood guests as well and my wife is a nurse). We had a 7th or 8th floor room with balcony which faced Epcot and we had a great view of Illuminations and the Yacht & Beach clubs. We had a quiet room with balcony overlooking the water at the Swan once, but our best room was high in the Dolphin tower last Christmas. The view was breathtaking and we could see Illuminations, Fantasmic, and pretty much all of Orlando. The rooms are great and the Heavenly Beds are simply the best at WDW. :thumbsup:

pamickeys
08-20-2008, 01:47 PM
we just booked for oct. at Dolphin, and my wife is a nurse. the discount was useless. we booked through AAA and got a better deal. with AAA you don't have to pay the extra $10 a day resort fee, it's included and trip insurance would not be available without going through AAA. so the package was way better then trying to put all of the components together and get nurses discount.

tomorrowschild
08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
My family loves the Swan. My brother and I are both teachers so we get the wonderful Teacher's Rate. We have always had great rooms. This year (Easter) we were upgraded to a balcony room faceing the pool area. It was beautiful. The beds are amazing, so comfortable.:cloud9:

disneygeek84
08-20-2008, 02:02 PM
How much of a discount is it for teachers? My husband is a teacher and was wondering so maybe we could stay a few nights on our next trip. But I'm not sure how much of a discount it is?????

moe513
08-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Does anybody know if the windows open in these rooms?:confused:

thumperbug
08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
My brother only stays at the Swan/Dolphin. He goes to WDW at least 6-7 times a year. He is lucky financially that he could afford to stay at any resort with cost not being a factor but he will only stay at Swan/Dolphin. It has all the benefits of other WDw resorts (with exception of DME).

anneb
08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
In response to the question about windows - the windows do not open, unless you have a room with a balcony. In a room with a balcony, you can open the sliding glass door to the balcony.
I have to say, though, I've been to Florida in every season, and can't really imagine wanting to open the window and lose the airconditioning! !

anneb
08-21-2008, 02:31 PM
The discounted rates for teachers and nurses ranges from $159 to $219, depending on the season, for the least expensive rooms. The discount also applies to various room categories. allearsnet.com has the full list of those discounted rates, by dates and room types.
These hotels also often have good AAA discounted rates.

moe513
08-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Does anybody know if you can get the ddp and the discount rooms?

tmosier
08-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Does anybody know if you can get the ddp and the discount rooms?

That's one other bad thing about staying at the Swan or Dolphin--- no DDP.