PDA

View Full Version : Packing for 1 and 4 year olds

Diznut
08-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Traveling for the first time with my 1 and 4 year olds. We can't wait. Any must have packing items beyond the basics? Any tips for taking kids that age?
Thanks!

mdhiggin
08-18-2008, 01:22 PM
With those ages, I assume you'll have a stroller. For those frequent rainstorms, I'd suggest something large and plastic to cover the stroller and keep 'em dry. We used one of the Disney ponchos to drape over it. Also, a backpack for diapers and stuff. It's easier to tote than a diaper bag, and if you stick it in the stroller while pushing it, it's easy to grab and wear at the numerous places you have to abandon your stroller. I've never had anything stolen, before, but I never left anything really appealing in the stroller while I went on a ride.

faline
08-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Many folks pack each day's outfits in plastic zip lock bags so the whole outfit is right there and ready to put on.

Depending on the weather and when you plan to go, many parks have play areas for children that involve water. Bring extra changes of clothes to the parks with you so you won't have to keep your little ones out of the splash areas!

PrincessEllie'sMommy
08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
For the little ones in diapers, I take the overnights. They are more absorbent, in case you can't get to a Baby Center quickly to get them changed. Also, you want to be sure to take everything you are going to need into the parks. You do not want to have to buy it there. They have about anything you might need but it is all way overpriced!!!!
(The Baby Care Centers are awesome! Be sure to use them. They are clean and air-conditioned.)

Disney Doll
08-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Bring lots of little goodies to help your kids wait- waiting in line, waiting for a parade to start, etc. Snacks and mini bubbles always did the trick for me.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
08-18-2008, 03:50 PM
BAND-AIDS! Maybe it is just my kids, but they get excited running and trip all the time. I keep some kind of anticeptic spray, band aids, baby tylonal and motrin with me at all times!

Buy glow in the dark things at the dollar store or Michaels ahead of time, they wont care where it came from... as long as they have something "glowy like the other kids" once it gets dark out.

extra clothes so they can play in the splash areas or get stuck in a rainstorm and not be drenched all day...

snacks... sippy cups that fit in your stroller cup holder (if it has one)...

Duct tape... you never know when you will need it... but I sewar I have used it at least once on EVERY trip

Madzac
08-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Our kids were one and four on our last trip and it was so much fun!!!! :D You will have a blast!

Go to the dollar store before hand and find some inexpensive NEW toys, things they have never seen. Pull them out periodically, works great! Are you flying? I am so thankful we bought a portable DVD player, it was a lifesaver on the plane and nice in the room at times too.

Lots of little snacks. Mine never seemed hungry at meal time, especially the character meals, but wanted to eat at other times. Especially waiting for parades to start! Anoterh thing, nowhere has small silverware I found, so if your one year old uses toddler silverware, bring some.

A good diaper bag that can fit an extra set of clothes for both kids. Very handy, plus plenty of diapers. A first aid kit, tylenol or motrin and lots of sunscreen were helpful too.

Strollers for both kids.. both will need them at some point!

An autograph book and a couple of wider pens for your 4 yr old for autographs from the characters.

Have a GREAT time!!!:D

Madzac
08-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Oh and I second the baby care centers! They have great large changing tables, much easier to change a toddler on!!!

Blast822
08-18-2008, 04:12 PM
OK - I am going to say at thermometer in case they get sick. We just got back and my friend's 5-year-old dd was so hot in the middle of the night POR called an ambulance for her and her temp was 104!!! Everything worked out all right, Disney was very fast and accomodating, they even paid for the taxi back from the hospital. So, my suggestion is a thermometer and fever reducing medicine. You never know!!

Ropachs
08-18-2008, 08:28 PM
For the plane, in addition to dollar store stuff, the Color Wonder marker and book sets are wonderful. Kept my 4 year old happy a good long time, and no danger of staining.

Also, a good supply of baby wipes, they come in handy for everything!

LittleRoosMommy
08-19-2008, 08:52 AM
I agree with everything posted above. I would pack their extra clothes for the parks in a plastic bag and put it in the backpack diaper bag. Once inside the park, we would rent a locker for the day and put the extra clothes and anything else that I had brought as "just in case" in there. That way, the backpack wasn't that heavy to carry around all day. PLus, we also had a place to store any souveniers we bought if we didn't have them sent back to the room.

Bring plenty of snacks and water for them. Also, I brought bibsters for my 1-yr-old last year. That way I didn't have to carry around any dirty bibs in the bag. Another tip that I found helpful was to ship things, like diapers, wipes, snacks, etc down to our resort prior to our arrival. This cut down on the number of suitcases we needed, not to mention the risk of going overweight on one of our bags. We're definitely doing that again this Oct.! I also love the Baby Care Centers!!

disneyfan328
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
my kids are a little older but things that I still take are the
plastic disposable sippy cups -
bibsters are great as well -
small first aid kit -
extra socks - wet feet = easy blisters and a cranky child.
a tide pen they have saved many an outfit.
clothes pins to hold either a cheap dollar store tablecloth or rain poncho onto the stroller in the event of rain.
I also second (or third) the glow sticks ect to have at the parades or just at night. We bought a bunch of them and were able to share with some other kids while waiting for the parade. we had previously bought some at michaels - they broke very easily and the kids had that glow stuff on them and there clothes. we spent a little more and got better quality ones for at Disney.
there lovey or blankey or whatever (if they have one) special blanket or animal that they sleep with.
washcloth in a zip lock baggie for in the parks. you can ask for a cup of ice (not sure if you are going when its hot or not) and cool the washcloth down to wipe them off. (DH actually got use out of this as well)
Advil or tylenol whatever you use. You may be surprised at how often we have had this with us even on day trips and needed it.

Jen C.
08-19-2008, 10:12 AM
I also being travel take and toss silverware, and the disposable placemats that stick down to eating surface. In addition, I pack the travel toilet seat covers that clip onto your stroller or diaper bag. Disney usually has those, but I like them for the airports, and anywhere else that doesn't. I'm a bit of a germophob! :blush:

This trip I will also be bringing fitted bed sheets. Anyone who has to share a bed with a restless sleeper, could wind up on a bare mattress, as WDW uses the flat sheets tucked in as fitted sheets. It's happened one too many times for me not to bring some along this trip. Some might say excesssive, but to me necessary!

MickeyChick
08-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Bring a power strip and chargers for all your electronic Items (Cell Phones, Hand-held Games, cameras etc.) There are usually only a couple of outlets available in hotel rooms.

If you bring a small flashlight (and backup batterie) it will help make dark rides easier for your little ones.

Lip Balm is good to have. I like a strawberry flavored one for my little guyds, out in the air/sun all day is hard on tender lips

Bring a night light so it’s not pitch black in the room.

I always have a few rolls of quarters and new pennies, for elongated coin machines, stored in a mini-M&M container or an old 35mm film canister.

If your 4-year-old is small, it's good to have a small pad of Post-It notes to carry with you for whenever you go to the bathroom with your kids. Use them to cover the little "eye" on the automatic toilets so they won’t flush when they are still sitting on the seat.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm adding: costumes. On our first trip, our kids were 1 & 3. I brought a few costumes for the 3 year old. I had so many people stop me and ask where I had purchased them.

Diznut
08-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Excellent advice everyone! Thank you! 16 days and counting!

Rekenna
08-20-2008, 09:33 AM
First of all I wanted to say what great advice from everyone-we are going in 17 days (can you believe it?) with a 1 and 2.5 year old-so good thread!

Something I find handy (and this is anywhere) is a light blanket and binder clips. I use them to block the sun and noise if the little peeps are trying to get some shut eye. Binder clips work really well on the shade of our strollers, clothes pins work well too, but binder clips rock because you can fold the metal part back.

I also was able to find the mini stroller fans, this will be our first time using them so I am anxious to see how they work out.

Thanks for the ideas everyone-may the force be with you-and me!:mickey: