PDA

View Full Version : How safe is it to travel to WDW during your first trimester?

faberj
08-18-2008, 11:34 AM
My concerns are flying and some of the rides. I know I might have to go at a much slower pace then normal, but what else? What rides would we need to aviod? Our trip is in December, and I am not pregnat yet, but very well could be by then.
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tinklover
08-18-2008, 11:49 AM
FLying is usually ok in the first trimester it is teh last trimester they worry about. if you are pregnant at teh time of your trip just ask your doc what you can and can't do . i would stay way form the coasters and stick to teh more layed back type rides nothing that is going to jerk you around or bounce you alot. I went to cedar point and rode all the coasters there and a week later was in a major accident that i should not have made it out of and found out in teh er that i was almost 5 months along with my now 5 yr old DD.They had done an ultra sound due to my complaints of abdominal pain .they were checking for internal bleeding and found her there flipping around and sucking her thumb. it is not something that i would have done had i known i was pregnant but she turned out just fine. but still ask your doc what he/she thinks if you are pregnant then.

Insanity Clause
08-18-2008, 11:52 AM
You should be safe for flying. I went when I was 5 months pregnant, granted that is the second trimester. Just stay off of the jerky rides and the rollercoaster. Luckily with Disney this is not a hard thing with them having so many options. I will tell you I was very uncomfortable as the days wore on because of all the walking but I was further along and carrying more weight by then. The final day I rented one of those carts and MAN did that make all the difference, I had so much more energy if you find yourself getting exhausted I would recommend it.

Strmchsr
08-18-2008, 11:53 AM
As Josette said, flying is no problem during the first trimester, but you should check here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/rideheight.asp) in Info Central to see the rides that are recommended no goes for expectant mothers. Especially during the first trimester when everything is touch and go you don't want to do any of these rides with warnings and risk a possible miscarriage.

disney100%
08-18-2008, 11:58 AM
On my last trip, I was 3 months/almost 4 months pregnant. Because of previous miscarriages and other concerns, I avoided anything that Disney posted for pregnant women to avoid. I think I was probably more over cautious than I needed to be, but I wasn't taking any chances because it was my second child and everything had been "easy so far" - quite a difference from my first child. I just made sure I rested when I needed to and stayed hydrated. Plus, I knew that I would be visiting Disney again in the future, so I wasn't worried about missing anything. I figured anything I skipped, I could evenually enjoy with my little one, which would make it even better! Now I have three beautiful children and we are taking all of them to Disney in 61 days!

Belster
08-18-2008, 03:37 PM
I have done this twice both times I was 5 month pregnant. I truly enjoyed both trips, but will be happy to go in October not pregnant. I was not able to go on anything that jarred you or had a drop of any sort. So pretty much you will be waiting in line and not going on most of the rides. I was able to move just as quick as the others in my party if not faster. You can still have a magical time! :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
08-18-2008, 10:06 PM
My DW went in the 1st Trimester of each of our three girls and made it fine. Once was in August and she was miserable because of the heat and morning sickness. The other two trips were great.

minnesotafreeze
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I am in my first trimester and will be 11 weeks when we head to Disney with our DS in 6 days. My concern isn't the rides or the flight, it is just staying awake and not feeling sick :sick:. The first trimester can be so up and down. I wish you good luck. If it does end up that you are in early pregnancy for your trip, just make sure to leave room for extra rest :mickey:

jonahbear2006
08-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Rides i wouldnt be concerned about one bit. I have been pregnant 5 times and have 4 babies. I had a miscarriage and all I did was lie in bed. Majority of miscarriages happen in the 6th week or the 12th week, when the heart starts beating or when the placenta is taking over the hormone's job. There probably is only a handful of rides in Disney that I would seriously stay off of in case of 1st trimester pregnancy and that would be the jerky side of mission mars, dinosaur, kilimanjaro safari, Mt Everest, Star Tours, and Tower of Terror. Those jerky rides and roller coasters are a threat to a baby that is above the pelvic bone but a small tiny little first trimester baby, I really doubt could be harmed from much anything at wdw. Even Rock n Roller Coaster and Space mountain, They don't toss you or jerk you; it is all very smooth riding. I think I have had rougher rides in St. Louis's Laclede's Landing, in the car. Most of Disney is pretty Family Friendly so I would rest easy knowing that there will be plenty for you to do down there in Disney pregnant or not! Now, if you are showing, I would definitely be much more modest about what you ride.

Jen C.
08-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Rides i wouldnt be concerned about one bit. I have been pregnant 5 times and have 4 babies. I had a miscarriage and all I did was lie in bed. Majority of miscarriages happen in the 6th week or the 12th week, when the heart starts beating or when the placenta is taking over the hormone's job. There probably is only a handful of rides in Disney that I would seriously stay off of in case of 1st trimester pregnancy and that would be the jerky side of mission mars, dinosaur, kilimanjaro safari, Mt Everest, Star Tours, and Tower of Terror. Those jerky rides and roller coasters are a threat to a baby
that is above the pelvic bone but a small tiny little first trimester baby, I really doubt could be harmed from much anything at wdw. Even Rock n Roller Coaster and Space mountain, They don't toss you or jerk you; it is all very smooth riding. I think I have had rougher rides in St. Louis's Laclede's Landing, in the car. Most of Disney is pretty Family Friendly so I would rest easy knowing that there will be plenty for you to do down there in Disney pregnant or not! Now, if you are showing, I would definitely be much more modest about what you ride.

Definitely check with your Dr. as to what to ride. I traveled at 11 wks., and was fine. However, it is my understanding that it is not so much the "jerking" motions that one needs to be concerned with, but the angle that you sit and the lap bars on some of the more intense rides. The pressure plcaed on the uterus and placenta are what poses most of the concerns on the appropriate posted rides.

Rekenna
08-20-2008, 09:39 AM
I have gone while I was in the 1st/2nd trimester. My one tip-practice walking! If you have a treadmill walk at least 15 minutes every day or every other, it will help you to feel less winded. You have to be careful when walking alot during pregnancy, many of the muscles you use become relaxed and stretched from holding the little pumpkin-don't overdo it. Wear comfy shoes, drink plenty of water, becoming dehydrated is the worst!

There are a ton of things you can ride and the plane is perfectly okay-just use common sense and you will have a great time. Congrats!:mickey:

KAT1811
08-20-2008, 10:32 AM
I am in my first trimester and will be 11 weeks when we head to Disney with our DS in 6 days.

I'm right there with you! I'm 10 weeks and due March 20th. I'll be 11 weeks this coming Tuesday.

To the OP. . . I will be about 21 weeks on our upcoming trip to WDW and am looking forward to it. This is my 4th child. I have been to WDW 7 months pregnant with DD#1 and did just fine. I would agree with much of what has already been said. Do not push yourself and steer clear of any ride with a warning. There are only a handful of rides in WDW that discourage pregnant riders. Keep in mine that the most critical delvelopment time is in the first trimester. Take it slow and keep hydrated. You'll be just fine. Talk to your doctor about his/her feelings and trust that they will guide you on the right path. Have a great trip. Pregnancy is so much fun!!!!

WMCWEST
08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I went last year with my wife and she was deep into her 1st trimester and she still had a good time. We flew from Chicago to Florida and the plane ride was fine. Now When she was in disney she did feel uncomfortable at times but in general was fine. TRUST me the ppl that you are with will make sure to make you feel part of the group (you will hold most of the stuff while they get on the rides)--a little humor. But what we did was ask the cast members if it was safe for someone that far along to get on certain rides. Just my experience!!!. Have fun and enjoy yourself:mickey:

jonahbear2006
08-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Definitely check with your Dr. as to what to ride. I traveled at 11 wks., and was fine. However, it is my understanding that it is not so much the "jerking" motions that one needs to be concerned with, but the angle that you sit and the lap bars on some of the more intense rides. The pressure plcaed on the uterus and placenta are what poses most of the concerns on the appropriate posted rides.

I totally agree always express any concern during pregnancy to your dr, but this is why I said, if the baby is still under your pelvis. The pelvic bone protects the baby for quite awhile during the first trimester. I would definitely only ride the things you are comfortable riding, but at Disney, that is almost everything. I think most people's favorites tend to be the Mansion, the space spin, dumbo,. etc.... stuff like that, signature rides.