PDA

View Full Version : Tips for helping toddlers sleep when not at home?

eas423
08-17-2008, 12:51 PM
This trip will be the first time DD has slept away from home and her crib. Any tips for helping her sleep well in a pack in play in a new place?

iheartmickey
08-17-2008, 01:10 PM
For us it was bring familiar things; her favorite pillow (it is her comfort item) and a blanket from home. Maybe even stuffed animal or two ... although you will probably be buying some of those on your trip. :thumbsup:

We also brought a sound machine to drown out the other noises from the hotel. That helped a ton!

Sunshine1010
08-17-2008, 01:26 PM
- his blanket
- a fan to drown out all noises
- stuffed animal

Lizzie
08-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Always bring the comfort items. We also let them watch their favorite Baby Einstein video while we were getting the room set up.

gmgdisneymom
08-17-2008, 01:55 PM
i agree with the above - and you might want to "practice" by putting a pack in play somewhere else in your house and having your child sleep there

thumperbug
08-17-2008, 02:07 PM
all of the above are good. Also keep in mind that your toddler will probably be very tired from all the excitement of the day and will probably sleep very well.

This happened to my son and in fact, on one of our trips to Disney, he ended up sleeping so well that he finally slept by himself and for several nights. By the time we got home from our trip, he no longer insided on sleeping with us and didn't get out of his bed anymore.

Cheloconnell
08-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Definitely agree with all of the above. We bring their stuffed animals. Also, we noticed the Pack and Plays are especially hard. We take a blanket and fold it up and place it under the sheet on the pack and play. It makes it softer without being too soft for suffocation concerns. Comfort is important when being in an unfamiliar territory :mickey:

LittleRoosMommy
08-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Definitely agree with all of the above. I would definitely try putting a pack-n-play up at your house if you have one and let her play in it before your trip. This will ease some of the unfamiliarity of the experience. We always bring some books along and try to keep the same bedtime routine the first night or so. But in all honesty, by the end of the first full day in the parks our DDs were so tired that it was not even an issue. We just laid them down and that was it! We also brought their favorite blankets and some stuffed animals! Hope you have a great trip!!

thrillme
08-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Whatever they normally like to sleep with in a crib...blanket, animal.

In the meantime I'd give my DS a good bath when we got back to the hotel. Got him all nice and clean then laid him down maybe let some cartoons on...within minutes he'd be out like a light and stayed that way.