PDA

View Full Version : car(r)ousel

gerald72
08-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Why is Cinderella's Golden Carrousel spelled with a Double R in Carrousel, but Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress is spelled with only a Single R?
Now how many of you are going check the spelling?

LauraleeH
08-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I've noticed that before in the Birnbaums book. It annoys me that it has a double R because as far as I know, the correct spelling is Carousel. Carrousel may not be incorrect, but it just looks awkward to me, especially since I'm usually so technical.

Mousemates
08-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I had always just assumed they used the older archaic spelling (carrousel) since Cinderella's is kind of a jounrey back in time to a day of royalty, gala balls and horse travel.

Daddy Mouse
08-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Both are correct. Carrousel is French form and Carousel is Italian form.

Aggie97
08-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Both are correct. Carrousel is French form and Carousel is Italian form.

This is my understanding as well.

I would guess that Disney uses the French spelling because their Cinderella movie is based on a French author's version of the story, and I believe is set in France. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
08-17-2008, 04:56 PM
1) Actually, the term with two R's is correct.
2) Carrousel is like a race or tournament.
3) Carousel is more of a rotating device/ride.
4) A Carrousel was originally a true tournament.

Per Britannica:
The tournament eventually degenerated into the carrousel, a kind of equestrian polonaise, and the more harmless sport of tilting at a ring. In modern times there have been occasional romantic revivals, the most famous perhaps being the tournament at Eglinton Castle, in Scotland, in 1839, described in Disraeli’s novel Endymion (1880). Later tournaments were theatrical reenactments.

andreallybadeggs
08-17-2008, 10:57 PM
1) Actually, the term with two R's is correct.
2) Carrousel is like a race or tournament.
3) Carousel is more of a rotating device/ride.
4) A Carrousel was originally a true tournament.

Per Britannica:
The tournament eventually degenerated into the carrousel, a kind of equestrian polonaise, and the more harmless sport of tilting at a ring. In modern times there have been occasional romantic revivals, the most famous perhaps being the tournament at Eglinton Castle, in Scotland, in 1839, described in Disraeli’s novel Endymion (1880). Later tournaments were theatrical reenactments.

Well done! Now, yourr next assignment...
define RrustyScupperr. ;)

Mousemates
08-17-2008, 11:53 PM
I love this place :mickey:, where else on the web could you have such a well researched and scholarly debate on the nuances of the titles of theme park amusements.

TheRustyScupper
08-18-2008, 08:52 AM
define RustyScupper.

1) The name of my sailboat.
2) So, as captain, I am now known as Rusty.

Imagineer1981
08-18-2008, 11:02 AM
define RrustyScupperr. ;)

Agreed well done, and thanks for explaining the name :)

TheRustyScupper
08-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Agreed well done, and thanks for explaining the name :)

1) Now, for the full meaning for the sailboat name:
. . . Scupper: hole cut in deck to drain rain or water
. . . Rusty: rusted steel grommet which could close up the hole, stop water from draining

2) Thus, when on-board, you don't know if at anytime the boat could sink.
3) So, either my rusty sailing skills or the rusty boat could sink us.

NOTE: OK I admit the name is a little arcane. But, most boat owners have never been known for easy names of their vessels.

TheRustyScupper
08-18-2008, 05:09 PM
I love this place :mickey:, where else on the web could you have such a well researched and scholarly debate on the nuances of the titles of theme park amusements.

1) By the way, thanks.
2) We used to design roller coasters, so nuances and minutia are commonplace.
3) Care for a good game of Trivial Pursuit?

Mousemates
08-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Care for a good game of Trivial Pursuit?

Only if I can pick the subject areas...this thread has already shown my deficiences in the Romance Languages (French and Italian), word origins and all things nautical. :mickey:

garymacd
08-19-2008, 10:47 AM
1) The name of my sailboat.
2) So, as captain, I am now known as Rusty.

Thank goodness for that! I had all kinds of thoughts on the subject!