PDA

View Full Version : How do you plan your "arrival" day?

Gregandmel
08-16-2008, 01:57 PM
We are arriving on a Sunday in October and our plane comes in around 11am. I figure we'll be at our resort (the Poly) around 12pm or 12:30pm. I know our room won't be ready, and by the time we check in, etc... I'm thinking it will be around 1 - 1:30pm. Here's my question - how would you work the rest of your day? We have dinner ressies at O'Hana's at 5pm. It's a MNSSHP that evening so the MK closes at 7pm. As soon as my 8 year old sees the Volcano pool, he's going to want to go swimming. Our family is NOT the type that is good at "rushing", so originally I thought we'd just make Sunday our "arrival" day and hang out at the resort. BUT NOW I REALLY want to cruise over to the MK after we check in JUST t ride the train and maybe walk down main street (no rides - just a little teaser of what the park looks like). OUr first full day at the MK won't be until Tuesday so thought this would be a fun way to see it for a couple of hours - what do you all think? How do you all work the "arrival" day if you arrive around noon or so?? Thoughts??? Thanks in advance!

Minniefan68
08-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi
Our arrival day is going to be around 10am on a Sunday. Since we are staying at the Beach Club, I know my kids are going to be ready to hit Storm-A-Long bay. After that we'll check into our room, unpack, have dinner and head around the lake to the Boardwalk- we've stayed there the past two years and it is great fun!! Then to end the evening we'll watch Illuminations from the bridge near Epcot, get the kids to bed because Monday morning we're off to the parks!

Have fun no matter what you do!

Cheryl

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-16-2008, 02:33 PM
We are going at Christmastime so we are driving in around 3 pm and after checking in and resting will grab an early dinner at DTD browse a couple of stores, go over to Grand Floridian to look at decorations then to DHS to ride great movie ride and browse shops.....I think a lot of people can't resist going to MK first thing because it represents the magic of Disney...we plan on spending our 1st full day there so will probably get in bed pretty early the first night

BronxTigger
08-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Compromise with your child...

After you check in, go to MK until around 4ish.

Eat your dinner at 5pm.

AFTER dinner, since MK will be closed to you, take advantage of that Volcano pool. Watch the fireworks from the beach. Enjoy yourself. :D

Gibbs
08-16-2008, 02:54 PM
On our trips, arrival day is just that. We don't really "plan" anything for that particular day. We just kinda go with the flow. The only thing that is really planned is dinner and that is usually pizza delivery from the resort, because Walt Disney pizza is the best. Other than that, it's a free day for the family.

Gregandmel
08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
BronxTigger, that's a great idea. Maybe that's what we'll do - try to get to the MK by 2pm (before the parade) and just take it in for a couple of hours. The rest of the evening sounds perfect!

Mousemates
08-16-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd likely not use a park day admission for the little bit of time you'd actually be able to spend in the MK...so on our first day we'd be more prone to just kind of soak in the feel of the resort....swim in the pool, watch some fireworks, and perhaps take a monorail ride (Given that you have some time on your hand to make is special I'd ask (and be willing to wait) to ride up front in the pilots compartment)...its pretty special and the 8 yr old is guaranteed to love it).

DumboMom
08-16-2008, 03:25 PM
I have learned from past trips to make arrival day a relaxed one.
On our last trip in December, Boston was hit with a big storm the night before our flight. We were lucky to still get out on time but had an emergency landing due to a medical emergency on the plane. We didn't get to the hotel until 4:30 which allowed us to unpack and meet up with some people for dinner at 6:00. I know my kids and I would have been disappointed if we thought we were missing out on a park.
Also, depending on arrival sometimes it’s not worth using one of your passes on just an evening. There is so much to enjoy at the hotels like the pool, playground or arcade. Also you can take this time to head to DTD or Boardwalk and still be refreshed for an early start the next day.:mickey:

PetefromRI
08-16-2008, 03:58 PM
It's just the two of us adults,but we usually just check in,unpack our things and then head over to Epcot for 3 or 4 hours.We like arriving at our resort around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.The last few times when we arrived early,our rooms weren't ready and we hung around the pool.I really would rather check in later and go to my room and take a nice shower before I head out for the evening.

maryt01
08-16-2008, 04:16 PM
go to dtd and see if it is decorated for fall or haLLOWEEN. IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN YOU MAY WANT TO bUY TICKETS FOR THE HALLOWEEN PARTY. THE KIDS GET A LOT OF CANDY. FOR THE PARADE, STAND NEAR THE CASTLE. the headless horsemann ride before the parade is awesome! the horse galloping down main street gives me chills.

thumperbug
08-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Usually on our first day, we try to take the first flight to MCO, check in and then head off to a park. The park we hit depends on what hotel we are staying at. On our Feb 09 trip we are staying at WL so we know we are heading off to MK as soon as we check in. The unpacking can wait.

Gregandmel
08-16-2008, 05:01 PM
We have a pass for each day - so even though we may not be at any given park for very long the first day, we won't really be "wasting" one. All these posts are great and I really appreciate some of the thoughts that go along with what to do after you arrive. 50 days to go!!!!

Iluvpooh
08-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I always go to Animal Kingdom.:blush:

BronxTigger
08-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Another thought...if you are using DME and letting them get your luggage, you won't have your swimsuits right away unless you pack them in your carry-on. Also, you'd want to shower and freshen up before dinner...another good reason to make you 8y/o wait until after dinner LOL.

Nurse Kim
08-17-2008, 07:45 PM
On our first day we will arive at the hotel around 2 pm. We are having dinner at Chef Mickey's, we will tour the resort since it's our first time at POR and then off to DTD and DQ for the rest of the evening. Our first full day is at MK.

SBETigg
08-17-2008, 07:53 PM
BronxTigger, that's a great idea. Maybe that's what we'll do - try to get to the MK by 2pm (before the parade) and just take it in for a couple of hours. The rest of the evening sounds perfect!

I agree. That's how I would recommend you play it, too. Your room may not be ready right away, so checking in, checking your bags, and heading to the MK is a great way to start. That first night, you may catch fireworks or the Electric Water Pageant from the beach or pool, too. So fun! Enjoy!

bkfree
08-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Las trip we arrived at our hotel aroudn 11am, checked in ,ate lunch then hit MK.

It was fun, but it made for 2 very tired kids the next day because that first day was such a long one.
We are going back in Dec. and for the first time we will not hit a park on arrival day.
We are staying at AKL for the first time.
We will check in, explore the resort and have dinner at Boma at 7pm, then some night time exploring and early bedtime so we can get up early for MK the next day.

I am actually really looking forward to a more relaxed arrival day this time. I think it may become our new tradition instead of rushing off to a park as soon as we get there.

the other micki
08-19-2008, 12:02 AM
This is our plan for our upcoming springtime trip. Get to POP about 1pm, explore the resort and swim, take a ride on the monorail, O Hana's for dinner (5 ish), visit Tomorrowland in MK, catch Spectro and head back to the resort. There's something in me that really wants to at least see a little of MK on that first day!

mrsgaribaldi
08-19-2008, 03:50 AM
We usually take a flight between 7 and 8. When we get there we go and check in. Alot of times our room is ready so we would go to the room and get settled amd maybe relax a little. Then we head out to the park opened the latest and stay there for the night. If the room is not ready, we head over to a park, don't know which one. Then we head back after a while to get settled and relax. Then we head out to the park opened the latest and stay there for the rest of the evening. :mickey: We have APs so we are not wasting any ticket days.
26 days to go:thumbsup:

ryca1dreams
08-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Everyone had some great ideas. I don't think it would be such a bad idea (if you have the extra day on your ticket) to head into MK for a few hours. Walk down Main Street, ride the train, ride the People Mover, etc.

Don't forget the boat launch back if you take the monorail over - the boat launch is a great way to relax and the kids will love it.

If you end up doing that, then Ohanas plus a swim and watching the Electric Water Pageant and the fireworks, it will be about 9:30 or so. It's not too late for my kid, but judge for yourself. Like bkfree said, you don't want to make it a long day. I think this is pretty relaxing, a full day sure, but still not too hectic.

jenny1976
08-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Personally, my DH and I arrive at that time every year. We have no kids so, having a long day is not a problem. As far as your plan, I think it's a great start...relaxing, not too hectic and magical all in the same....Whatever you decide I just hope its PURE DISNEY MAGIC!!!:cloud9:
Just 31 days away from THE WORLD!!!!!!!

BlueDorrie
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
My October trip will be the first time that I'll be getting there in the early afternoon. We should be able to check in by the time we get to POR. Since we have adr for Fulton's at 6 pm, we figure we'll hang out in Downtown Disney and probably head to MK after dinner since the park doesn't close until 11 pm that night.

I'm pretty psyched by the fact we're getting to Disney so early. The last two trips had us getting to Disney in the late evening which didn't leave us with much time to go anywhere and we were pretty pooped from the flight.

Tegrigg
08-19-2008, 04:36 PM
We always stay at the Poly. More than likely your room will be ready. I would jump on the monorail and head to MK and get back in time for dinner. After dinner take a swim and relax for the next day.

Insanity Clause
08-19-2008, 05:27 PM
The resorts all have so much to offer so you can't go wrong whatever you decide. Hang out at the resort...DTD...or to hit a couple of things at MK. Anyway you look at it, it will be magical.

Soul_Power
08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
On our first trip, we did not hit the parks (although I wanted to soo bad). We knew we were going to be really tired from our plane ride (red eye :sleepin:), so we went to Downtown Disney and then had lunch at Concourse Steakhouse.

During our next trip, we plan to do the same thing. We like to relax on our first day and not overexert ourselves! As of right now, our plans are to check in, have lunch at POP Century, walk around the resort and have dinner at California Grill later that night.

I can't wait!

JPL
08-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Ok well my arrival days are usually much more hectic than most. I usually checkin and head straight to a park for the day and sometimes don't return to my resort until park closing. I would likely be at the MNSSHP is it was on my arrival day. In December my MVMCP is the day of my arrival so since I am arriving early that morning I will most likely hit another park during the day and then plan on getting to the party around 4 or 5 and stay for the duration.

pogo
08-19-2008, 09:47 PM
For our December trip we'll arrive at MCO at 11:00.... be at POFQ by noon, check in and head to Epcot to meet friends at 1:00.

I think we'll return to the resort around dinner time and sit and watch Elliot Dyson perform as we enjoy a pizza and a couple of :beer:.

I love first days. And I hope you enjoy yours ! :D

Aggie97
08-19-2008, 10:14 PM
We've always checked in at the resort and headed straight to the MK. We often try to go to a special event like MVMCP or the P&P Party on our first night.

In June, we tried planning a leisurely first evening instead, but it didn't work for us. We had a nice dinner at Jiko, as planned. But as we were heading back to our room, we looked at one another and said, DHS has EMHs 'til 1 a.m. -- let's go! :)

In October, we are going to MNSSHP on our first night.

Have a great time! :mickey:

Bringonthemouse!
08-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Arrival days in the past for us have had us at the resort by about 2-3 pm. Our tradition is to hit the monorail resorts for shopping, eating, etc. We then take a monorail ride to EPCOT and back to get a taste of the park (we love how the monorail goes through EPCOT). Depending on the time, we may go to dtd and boat on over to POR/FQ for some more sight-seeing. All in all, we keep our first day pretty low-key so we are ready and rested to open MK the next morning.
Only 83 more sleeps.......:cloud9:

Bri
08-20-2008, 10:19 AM
this year we are going in december and staying at AKL, both are firsts for us. in 2005 and 2006we made a dinner ressie the first day we arrived and it felt very rushed. we didn't do that this year. we will probably explore the resort a little. i'm not gonna sit here and say we will just hang out at the resort all day cause we won't be able to keep ourselves from MK!:tink: but we will definatly have a slow day, we should be at our resort by 2pm (our arrival time keeps changing). we will eat lunch at the hotel, walk around a bit then go to MK which has evening EMH. 110 days to go (this countdown timer is the best!)

Figaro0826
09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I think less is more the first day, try not not to make too many plans. Coming from a person due to a 5 hour flight delay in new york, missed our dinner reservations and spa appointments.

we try to hang out at the pool, and take a fireworks show. But beleive me, by the time I get there I will run to MK as soon as that boat from Wl takes me!

have a great trip y'all.

fupresti
09-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Am I the only person who spends his first day in Epcot?

Also, we arrive on a Friday night at 9:00 PM, so we will spend Saturday taking in the Christmas decorations and Downtown Disney and prepare to get started at the parks on Sunday.

BigRedDad
09-10-2008, 03:23 AM
It really depends on the arrival time. If we are there in the morning, we would go to a park. On our next trip, we are not getting in until around 11PM. So, it is off to bed we go. For your trip, I would probably hit the pool, pool bar, and relax until the ADR at Ohana's. It would be hard to see the MK and not go, but I think I could survive it.

scootch713
09-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Compromise with your child...

After you check in, go to MK until around 4ish.

Eat your dinner at 5pm.

AFTER dinner, since MK will be closed to you, take advantage of that Volcano pool. Watch the fireworks from the beach. Enjoy yourself. :D

I ditto this. This is what we do.

Many people think time at the pool is a waste of time... but if you are like us, live in Ohio, swimming outdoors in November is great. My kids LOVE the WL pool and it is a highlight of our trip, just as much as say a character meal. So we swim several times during our trip and to me it is just part of the whole magic.

TinkerbellT421
09-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Usually, DBF and I plan this as a relaxing day. We personally wouldnt waste a park ticket for a couple of hours in a park. BUT if you do have the ticket for that day and it doesnt matter then go for it. I second Bronxtgr idea. Do MK first before your ressies and go from there. No difference in doing the pool before or after dinner. I would actually prefer after dinner because then you can swim for a little while then go right up to bed and start your day the next day!! :thumbsup:

Again, personally DBF and I just get lazy on that day. We usually go to DTD and I buy my scrapbooking supplies for that trip and bang out my collections at the DTD stores on the first day lol...But that's because we like to relax before we start the parks.

PAMOUSELOVER
09-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I cant help but hitting the parks our first day. Thatis why we get earky flights if we fly and stay a different hotel the night before when we drove last year. But since you are arrive later int he day, I would not waste one of your days on a park. Hit the pool, go to dinner and take int he decorations. We mioght have to do that ourselves this year if we fly in. My only thing is I hate paying to spend th enight in a hotel and not go to the park.

ChipDale2708
09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
We are also arriving on a Sunday this October but will be into MCO around 10am putting us at the resort around 11-1130am. This is our usual schedule. We get checked in, unpack if our room is ready by chance (which has happened more often than not) poke around the hotel shop and then have lunch at Beaches n' Cream. We are staying at the Beach Club. After lunch we'll relax around the hotel but then head to the MK around 4p or 5p. This year MK has evening EMH that night so we'll be there for that. Yes it makes for a very long day, but on Monday we have a late breakfast and no plans in stone. Can't wait!! 32 more days!!:yay::clappy::vacation: