PDA

View Full Version : other people's kids

gerald72
08-15-2008, 05:14 PM
My son and I were in line for pics/ autograph with Daisy Duck last week. Right before it was our turn, a family came up along side the line and started snapping pictures of Daisy Duck, who was posing with another child.
The CM told them to stop, that it was inappropriate to take photos of other people's children.
My question: Is this really the case?
Most of the pics I see online of characters are from a distance, where the children in the pics are probably not that of the photographer.
And, do you really expect to be able to take your family to WDW and not appear in hundreds of other people's photos?
I was walking down Main Street with my son on my shoulders and noticed that just about every other person is taking a pic of Cinderella Castle. So if were in Magic Kingdom last week, yeah, that's me in your photo! lol

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-15-2008, 06:33 PM
I think there is a difference from getting "crowds" in your picture and purposely taking a posed shot of a child (even if they are with a character).

You're right, no one can go to Disney with the expectation of NEVER ending up in anyone's photo's...but I would be uncomfortable if someone came up and starting taking pictures of my DD posing with a character...don't really know why, just doesn't feel right.

DisneyBabies
08-15-2008, 07:52 PM
I agree. There is a difference between taking a picture where others end up in it as well and taking pictures of someone elses child. If my child was posing with a character and a stranger came up and started taking pictures of them, I'd be uncomfortable too. The CM did exactly right in asking that the people stop taking the pictures. And in addition to it being inappropriate, it is also rude; that should be a moment for that family to enjoy when they look back at their pictures. . .not some stranger. If they wanted a picture of the character, they should have gotten in line themselves, just like everyone else.

TiggeRia
08-15-2008, 07:54 PM
I think it depends on the situation. There have been times that I'm walking by where a character is and I don't feel like standing in line, so I'll snap a picture with whomever is standing there just so I have a picture of the character. I've got tons of pictures of people and I have no clue who they are. However, if someone came up and started taking multiple pictures of a child posing with a character then I would find that a little fishy. However, is someone really going to find out who you are by just taking your picture? Most likely not...

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I guess it would depend on the situation, sometimes it would just be like another poster said when you are taking pictures people walk by and end up in your photos...but taking pictures of someone else's kid could become creepy depending on the circumstances:(

BronxTigger
08-16-2008, 01:23 AM
I've done that, where I take a photo of the character without getting in line. BUT I take the photo when the families are "switching out" so the character isn't actually posing with anybody. I don't want some random kid in my photos.

thrillme
08-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Not that I have any desire to take pictures of anybody's kids but...

I guess I feel sad that it's come down to it being a "creepy" thing to do. And yes...I agree it is and it would bother me a bit too. I like to believe most of these people just want a picture of the character and/or perhaps feel silly taking a picture with the character themselves (not me...I LOVE getting my picture taken with big characters like the Beast).

Some kids look really cute posing with a character. I admit I was "tempted" one time because there was an adorable little girl in a Cinderella costume that went and had her picture taken with Cinderella just before it was my son's turn. She just looked like a perfect mini version of the character...Of course I did NOT take any pictures but it was several years ago and I didn't realize so many little girls "dressed up"...I thought it was "unique". Later on I realized we had a TON of Bell's, Cinderellas, etc. walking around. I had no clue that it was just the "beauty salon package". I thought they were "selectees" for something.

I guess I just think it's "sad" there ARE creepy people out there that would be likely to snap pictures of kids for "devious" means rather than just taking pictures.

PirateLover
08-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I honestly don't have a problem with it. My fiance was too shy to get his picture with Mickey Mouse as child on his first trip, so he just took a picture from afar. In the family photo album, there is a picture of Mickey with some random boy. So what? As scary as the world can be I really think majority of the people care about the characters, and not really the other people in the photo.

AnnetteFan
08-18-2008, 02:27 AM
It's not against the rules at all, attendants have tried to discourage it because it is a bit creepy plus it's really unfair considering how long other people are willing to wait in order to get a pic but there's no specific rule stating guests can't snap pictures of whatever they want within the parks. I hate seeing guests take random pictures when another family is with the characters but they're still allowed to, you can pretty much take pictures of anything you want when you're in the parks and no one can ask you not to as long as you're in a guest area.