PDA

View Full Version : Arriving early, what to pack in carry-on?

Minniefan68
08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi All,

Arriving at MCO at 10am, figure ME will get us to our resort by 11:30. What should we pack in our carry on in case our luggage takes a while?

I know the kids are going to go right to Storm-A-Long bay, so we'll bring bathing suits. Since we can't pack sunscreen, we'll have to get it there. Anything else we should pack that would be a must-have in case our luggage is MIA for a few hours?

Thanks,

C

crazypoohbear
08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
You can pack sunscreen there are brands ( ocean potion) that come in 3 oz. sizes.

Also, bring goggles for the kids, mine don't like to swim without goggles. do you need arm floats?
A change of clothes in case it's stormy and you need to get dressed.

MauiMouse
08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
We are in the same boat :diver: going over to Typhoon Lagoon the first day, we get in early too. In my carry on will be my swim suit, a towel, because I have enough room, a couple waterproof cases for room key, money, etc. I also brought a water proof camera too. I am bringing a small 3 oz sunscreen as well, you can put them in a quart bag and your fine. Plus all my other carry on items, camera, camcorder etc.

I just got a new LLBean carry on duffle bag with wheels, so I'm ready to fly. :D

disneyfan328
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Here's what we did. We had a family of 5 traveling. 3 adults 2 kids. My DH used the camcorder/camera bag as his personal item (like my purse) and he carried a back pack that we prepacked for a day at the park. IE autograph books, pens, sunblock, quarters and pennies for the press machines, our mini book with all of my notes and our ADR Info, park hours ect, medicine (advil, my and DS asthma meds, benadryl band aids ect) and the rain ponchos. In my DD carry on I packed a change of clothes for each of us and travel toiletries as well as her personal stuff. My youngest DD carried pj's for everyone and all of the swim gear and more sunblock ( just in case of lost luggage) In my DS carry on I let him and DD pack a few toys and things to do on the plane as well as snacks ect. It worked out great. I had to carry all of our medicine and my sons breathing treatment in mine - alot of his medicine is liquid and with the machine being in there we have to declare it and have it thouroughly searched so I handle that one. When we got to our resort we were already dressed and ready so we stored all of the carry ons with bell services except the park bag and the camera bag and headed off to the resort. If we had chosen to go swimming it was all in one bag as well. (we figured we could get towels from the hotel somewhere as they are too bulky to pack in a carry on.)

to be honest in the future to forgo the issue of packing and dealing with the sizes of stuff I think I will ship a box with our big bottle of sunblock, hairspray, shampoo conditioner, ect down ahead of time along with some snacks. We had a thing of hairspray explode in my DD suitcase so we had to wash about 1/2 of her clothes when we got our luggage (yes it was even in a plastic bag but somehow it got punctured through the bag so it was on everything. I would still go about packing the carry ons the way that i do though as that way we knew where everything was and we were able to hit the parks shortly after our arrival!!

Just a quick side note - my mom bought youngest DD and DS small disney flashlights to take to the parks for dark rides in case they got scared and for us to use throught the resort in the evenings ( POR) We had these in one of the carry ons and it caused a big delay in security. We never ended up using them so I don't think I would bother with them again.

CleveRocks
08-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Disney tells you to expect your DME bags within about 3 hours of check-in at your resort.

No matter where I fly (ESPECIALLY with the kids), I always pack carry-ons with our first 24 hours of supplies just in case the AIRLINE delays our luggage. I realize that sounds like a lot, but it's really not, especially when flying to a warm climate ... pool stuff, PJs, allowable toiletries, change of clothes for the next morning, it takes up very little space.

If you do it this way, you really have no worries about when your luggage arrives.

HAVE FUN!!!

jenny1976
08-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Mhy suggestion would be to pack any medications, first aid kid (Neosporin, bandages, anti-itch cream...etc), allowed toiletries, any papers, all valuables, ponchos, umbrella, pool stuff, a change of clothes, undies and Pj's, a light jacket, any entertainment (like mp3's, dvd players, laptops or such, books, etc.), brushes, toothbrushes, baby wipes (kids can be messy), Tide to go, and any other essential you cannot live without for a couple of hours or even a day...Hope it helps, HAVE A MAGICAL TRIP!!!!

Just 35 days away from THE WORLD!!!!:cloud9:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-15-2008, 11:27 AM
The last time we went to WDW, we also arrived early. It was nearly 4.5 hrs before our room was available.

All the other posters have done a great job with recommendations. I would add, a garbage bag for your wet suits afterwards.

jonahbear2006
08-16-2008, 03:46 AM
All of this sounds like packing can be so complicated. We planned on wearing our suits down and giving each child an extra outfit in their carryon bags and the 3 oz stuff in the carry on as well. I didn't pack pjs in there but I imagine if we don't have pjs the first night I doubt anyone in my family will care. Thanks for the goggles note; I hadn't considered that. My daughters will thank you. We are also considering shipping down a box of stuff. Better get a move on.....16 days to go!! All my friends laugh at me for spending so much time researching Disney but truly, if you fly by the seat of your pants on this trip, you will be sure to not have things the way you want them! If you wear your swimsuits down under your clothing, dont forget to pack underwear to change into afterwards. This is a big oops we have done before!!

pink
08-16-2008, 11:05 AM
I plan on bringing shorts for me and my DBF as we will probally wants comfy sweatpants on an early morning flight, any medications, camera, park tickets of course, rain ponchos, toothbrush and toothpaste (just in case) :mickey: