PDA

View Full Version : FW Cabins or CBR?

wdw_bound
08-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Trying to decide. DD10 and DS3 would love a pool with a slide, but I don't think not having a slide is a deal breaker for them, especially with so many other things to do (plus in late October, the pool may or may not be an option).

If we take the boat from MK, is there an internal bus at the dock to take us back to our cabin? We'd drive to the other parks, but I'm thinking of those late night returns from MK with tired kids.

DH wants to weigh the "fun factor" The new pool at CBR would be open. We've never even visited CBR, but have gone to FW several times for the BBQ and campfire.

Any thoughts anyone?

TammiMcMan
08-15-2008, 01:58 AM
FW cabins definitely have the theme of camping, so there's really no comparison between that and CBR. There are still plenty of activities, just a different variety (bikes, canoes, fishing, water craft, hayrides, petting farm, campfire movie & singalong, etc).

The rooms can't really be compared either. At FW, there's no sharing beds. The kids can either use the bunkbeds, or spread out in the back bedroom, while you and your husband sleep on the murphy in the living room. You have the convenience of a full kitchen, a deck and no shared walls with anyone else.

There is an internal bus system, or you can rent a golf cart at FW for use during your stay. You park it right at your cabin and use it to get back and forth.

Pools are heated and unless you're from a very warm climate, you will most likely be swimming in October.

Personally, I love having the boat option to the MK and sitting on the beach watching Wishes and the nightly electric water parade.

Food options are a bit limited, no food courts or anything. The Trailside buffet is excellent though and you can get stuff to make inside your own cabin at the general store.

Mousemates
08-15-2008, 08:25 AM
I'd probably go with the FW cabins, just to have the extra room to spread out a bit and decompress..also the aforementioned boat shuttle to MK is a very nice way to start the morning and a pleasant way to end the day, the option for beach fireworks is also a nice plus.

KAT1811
08-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Personally I do not care for the CBR. Their food court IMHO is the least desireable on property. I would say go with the cabins especially if you are going to have your own car. The main reason we shy away from them (other than not being campers) is that the "resort" requires two transportation systems. One to get you from your site or cabin to the busses and the busses to get you to the park (other than the MK which as you said has the boat). If we are ever to stay at FW we would certainly rent a golf cart for the week to make life easier. Plus at FW you have your own kitchen and a place to sit and relax after the children are in bed.

CU Tiger
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I have always said that the FW cabins is the best kept secret at DW. :thumbsup: We love staying there and like all that there is to do in and around FW. Instead of staying in a typical hotel room, you are staying in a small house. The full kitchen and living room gives you more options for dining and area to spread out. We also like being so close to the MK, WL, the contemporary, and the monorail. We usually get a golf cart, but the transportation provided works well. The only drawback is the pool, but at least there are plans in the place to update them.:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
08-15-2008, 01:23 PM
1) Like TammiMcMan, I prefer the cabins.
2) There is just so much to do at Fort Wilderness.
3) You can do a lot while not in the parks. *
4) Don't forget, FW is a TRUE campground.
5) Thus, they need the amenities and activities.

* Even working there was more fun that working at other resorts.

wdw_bound
08-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the input! We have decided to go with the cabins with a good discounted rate. They aren't that much more than CBR, and considerably less than our original reservation at WL. It will be a new experience for our family, and we are really looking forward to it!

We've already decided to look into the wagon ride, and possibly a canoe. Do they still have the petting farm? I thought I read that it had been closed down a few years ago.

Thanks to your feedback, I'm sure that FW will give us the opportunity to relax and bond after a very stressful year. I appreciate all of sharing your wisdom!