PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Coca-Cola Exec New Head of Hong Kong Disneyland

Melanie
08-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Hong Kong Disneyland tabs ex-Coca-Cola exec

Hong Kong Disneyland gets ex-Coca-Cola executive as new head amid struggle to raise attendance

HONG KONG (AP) -- The Walt Disney Co. said Thursday a former Coca-Cola executive with 20 years of experience in China has been appointed head of Hong Kong Disneyland.
Andrew Kam has been named managing director of the Hong Kong park, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts said in a statement.

Kam was previously deputy general manager and marketing and sales director for COFCO Coca-Cola Beverages Ltd., a joint venture between The Coca-Cola Co. and China Cereals, Oils and Foodstuffs Import and Export Corp.

He ran marketing and sales for 14 Chinese markets.

Kam's appointment comes as Hong Kong Disneyland tries to draw more Chinese tourists after disappointing attendance figures in its first two years.

Kam's predecessor, Bill Ernest, was promoted to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts' president and managing director for Asia.

The Walt Disney Co. is based in Burbank, Calif.

TheRustyScupper
08-15-2008, 09:27 AM
1) The ONLY way to improve attendance
. . . get more rides
. . . improve the service
. . . get more rides
. . . get more rides
. . . improve employee attitude
. . . gt more rides
2) It has
. . . only 16 attractions
. . . only 1 classic Disney ride (Space Mtn)
3) In a poll, over 70% of HK residents had a negative view of DHK.
4) Even the employee union has complained about the park.

NOTE: I was so disappointed when I visited DHK. It doesn't even compare favorably to some smaller USA amusement parks. Shame on Disney.

Tekneek
08-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Is this a case of Disney thinking they could rake in the numbers by simply being Disney? That they didn't have to work that hard at it and could still do very well? This must be the new Disney way.

Sounds like the problem is a lack of good capital investment and not bad marketing. Actually, I find that most of the problems I have with Disney are due to poor investment of capital and not a marketing problem. The marketing takes care of itself if you put in the money and hard work on the other end. If you take shortcuts on the back end, the best marketing in the world won't make people come back a second time or stop word-of-mouth.

AndrewJackson
08-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Is this a case of Disney thinking they could rake in the numbers by simply being Disney? That they didn't have to work that hard at it and could still do very well? This must be the new Disney way.

Sounds like the problem is a lack of good capital investment and not bad marketing. Actually, I find that most of the problems I have with Disney are due to poor investment of capital and not a marketing problem. The marketing takes care of itself if you put in the money and hard work on the other end. If you take shortcuts on the back end, the best marketing in the world won't make people come back a second time or stop word-of-mouth.

I would think Disney would learn it lesson. Didn't they try the same thing with California Adventure? Maybe they should re-name it Hong Kong Adventure.

brownie
08-18-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm sort of surprised they promoted his predecessor. If things haven't been going well for the park, even if some of it was out of his control, I don't think you'd promote someone.

TheRustyScupper
08-18-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm sort of surprised they promoted his predecessor. If things haven't been going well for the park, even if some of it was out of his control, I don't think you'd promote someone.

Well known management exercise Disney uses well, called "The Peter Principle".

Lindsey
08-20-2008, 06:20 PM
1) The ONLY way to improve attendance
. . . get more rides
. . . improve the service
. . . get more rides
. . . get more rides
. . . improve employee attitude
. . . gt more rides
2) It has
. . . only 16 attractions
. . . only 1 classic Disney ride (Space Mtn)
3) In a poll, over 70% of HK residents had a negative view of DHK.
[/I]

I've been to HKDL several times, and have stayed at both of the resorts, and I really like the park. Yes it needs more rides. The service I received and the cast member attitude was wonderful, on par with WDW and MUCH better then DL. Hong Kong residents don't want to like HKDL, it's kind of hard to explain and understand. You would be shocked at the amount of false rumors that are spread though out HK about HKDL. Seriously, I've had several friends and family members tell me that a 1 day ticket is $150.00 USD, which it certainly is not!
Disney clearly needs to improve it's advertising, and add additional attractions. Oh....and there is more then 1 classic Disney attraction in HKDL, IASW opened in the Spring, and isn't the Jungle River Cruise considered a classic?