PDA

View Full Version : Best DD resort?

PolyDreams
08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Well I applied for a DISNEY visa in hopes of getting that magical 'room only' discount -- all to be disappointed like many of you today I imagine. (I had already purchased my tickets- so couldn't do a package)

ANYWAY-- I wanted to stay at POFQ- but for $169/night full rack rate it just isn't worth it to me-- for $100ish I could have done the two full beds-- but I'm used to King.

SO-- what is the best DD resort for me? I am looking for CLEAN, (two queens or one king/sofabed), reasonable rates $100ish, walkable to DD attractions-- and of course free shuttle to the parks...

In looking at tripadvisor-- I thought maybe the double tree suites, was the most positive out of the choices......

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Funforall
08-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Have stayed at a couple and liked Hilton best. Not sure about the price but it wasn't bad.

PolyDreams
08-14-2008, 10:02 PM
It is pretty much only DD hotels that offer free disney shuttles, isn't it? anyone?

BellewanaB
08-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Most of the DD hotels within walking distance are on Hotel Plaza Blvd. Do a search with a map service and you can figure out the millage i.e. time it would take to walk.
They all have shuttles but they are no where as frequent as the Resorts. Call each hotel in the Lake Buena Vista area. Sometimes it's one bus out in the morning and one bus back-that's it. You will also will have to pay for Mears shuttle to and from airport for all hotels in Lake Buena Vista (up to $40ish round trip/pp?). Resorts you get to ride the Magical Express to and from for free.
Stayed at Royal Plaza 4-5 years ago. Rooms were outdated 'Floridian' style, nothing to write home about, but got a rate under $100/night.
Stayed at the Grosvenor, which I think is the Regal Sun Resort now. We went during the construction phase so the rates were under $100/night. The pool and game areas were in decent disrepair but it was fun to come back, soak, play shuffle board and volleyball. Located VERY close to DD. Stumbling distance of PI (ahhhh...R.I.P. Think they'll put a gravestone at HM in honor of it?)
Worse case, I've may be, perhaps, heard of people walking to the DD resort buses and using those for transportation when in a pickle.
Good Luck! Off season and mid-week all the way for value (not cheap) hotels!

Mousemates
08-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Not sure which is best...thou the Hilton is the only one which alows you to participate in Extra Magic Hours so that might be a deciding factor for you.

Another option some folks don't check on are the swan and dolphin...sometimes you can get very good discounts there...especially if you are a teacher or govt employees.

PolyDreams
08-15-2008, 01:54 AM
The Hilton seems to be pretty high during my time-- $180's?plus seems like. (1st week of october). And as you say, if I have to pay that much and not get all the 'extras' of a disney resort... too bad POFQ doesn't have queen beds....

KAT1811
08-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Some of the moderates have king beds. What about AAA that would give you a room only discount. For us the magic of staying on property and all of the on site perks far outweighs ever staying off property. What are your dates? There may be other discounts avaliable. I would highly suggest that you talk to someone at Magical Journeys and see if they can help you find what you are looking for in your price range.