PDA

View Full Version : Resort Forum useless this time

Gator
08-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Just a warning - this post is a vent.

After 5 years of reading and posting here, gaining all the knowledge I can about vacations, memorizing resort features, and studying historical dicounts, it all means nothing for me this year. :(

After booking flights for Dec 7-16 (at an outrageous amount) and having SmallWorld Vacations book a room (being positive a discount would come out like it always had), I find out that Disney decides to NOT offer discounts for that week (minus the last 2 days). :mad:

I'll be honest: I felt proud when I busted the 1000 post mark - but now it feels like it amounts to nothing. All I can afford now is a value. My hopes were for at least a Moderate and maybe WL. All my WDW knowledge won't save me a dime this time around.:thedolls:

Tink1
08-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Don't give up yet! The fat lady has not sung.

I am sure your agent will keep checking for you and you will get something. I just booked the Poly for dates similar to yours.

keep your chin up!

Nanc

Marilyn Michetti
08-14-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm a little confused. What does posting on Intercot have to do with not getting a discount?

Why not give MJ a call, and see what magic they can weave?:mickey:

Jasper
08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Don't forget, the vast majority of us here on Intercot are not Disney employees so other than having the force of numbers to catch dates we are in no better position than you are to find discounts. Plus, even if discounts were posted accurately then none of us can do anything about getting you discounts for the dates you choose to go. I guess the old adage of "buyer beware" which implies responsibility for the customer, should always be practiced in anything a person does.

MMouse6937
08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
I also am a little frustrated that the pin code I got only covers the last two days of our December trip and doesn't really help us money wise. But, the TA that I have was able to get us a smoking deal at the BC and we upgrade from the POP to the BC in one day...WOW! You have to stay optimistic but I always assume that I'm going to pay rack rate and then feel really lucky when something better comes around. I always tell people that years ago DH and I were going to pay for the dining plan because I thought it was a great idea to have everything paid for up front and he agreeded. Then a few months later, they offered it for free, what a surprise.

Posting on Intercot is just for support, help, suggestions from people who have been in your position, unfortunately Disney does what it is they want to do.

princessgirls
08-14-2008, 06:19 PM
I do feel your pain my friend...

The value resorts are looking better and better to me...

We still get all the Disney Magic and it's affordable!

I just can't justify spending an extra $1,500 for my family of 4 2a/2c staying at a deluxe resort.
In my defense, we usually do another vacation during the year. If it was my one and only vacation, I might be inclined to spend the extra $$.
Julie

mrsgaribaldi
08-14-2008, 06:29 PM
I hope a discount still comes out for you. :pixie::pixie: That being said, I've enjoyed your posts and I hope you've enjoyed some of mine. That's what it's all about:mickey:

AllDisney
08-14-2008, 08:43 PM
I'd be happy with a value at WDW anytime if it means I get to go:thumbsup:

We've enjoyed all the values on our past trips. Look on the bright side...you get to go to WDW:party:

Mousemates
08-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Hey, sometimes we all need to vetn a little bit...especially when they change things up and throw a knuckleball. But we stayed at the movies for part of our last trip and enjoyed it very much. To me theres just not that much difference between the mods and the values.

An other option, given your comment about "except for the last two days" woud be to "transfer up" for your last couple of days. We do this somewhat frequently and WDW makes it ever so easy.

Hope (and bet) you have a great trip regardless of where you end up bedding down for the night.

BellewanaB
08-14-2008, 11:25 PM
We all feel your pain and hope to virtually "pat you on the back" to assure you all will work out.

Careful of beating up on airlines. We have been very lucky in the US since deregulation in 78 to have extremely low ticket prices. Airlines on average posted a loss for 6 years only to have profits every 7th year bring them out of the red. Gas used to account for only 8% of your individual ticket- today it accounts for 40%. As much as prices have risen they have not gone up as fast as inflation and all of the nickel and dimming still does not cover the cost of your flight. That's right. Those over priced tickets don't even help the company to break even. I say hurry up and buy these tickets now because it will not be long before companies will start charging what it actually costs them to run your flight.
And remember, if the price is that bad you can always drive. :secret:

Vito
08-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Ugh... it always hurts when you get your hopes up about a "plan" and it ends up falling through, so to speak.

I'm curious as to what you mean about the Resort forum being useless though? I'm probably out of the loop here, but does Disney usually offer room-only discounts during mid December and so you were basing your plans on past trends?

I guess I'm just one who always waits for the discounts to be announced and then book. It's worked for us the past 3 visits without a hitch. We got FQ for the price of a value, POP for much less than rack, and again this time we got a steal on two rooms @ POP plus airline tickets booking through a package.

Mousemates
08-15-2008, 07:46 AM
We all feel your pain and hope to virtually "pat you on the back" to assure you all will work out.

And remember, if the price is that bad you can always drive. :secret:

That would be one monster of a drive..:blush:..according to mapquest Modesto, Ca to WDW is nearly 2800 miles and 41.5 hours....most folks would probably have a major headache :ill: and need a vacation to recover.

KAT1811
08-15-2008, 09:26 AM
I'd be happy with a value at WDW anytime if it means I get to go

:ditto:

Look on the bright side at least you are able to go, there are millions of people that will never be able to afford a WDW vacation at all. Never get a chance to experience the magic. For us if staying at a value was the only way we could afford to go to WDW so be it. I understand your disappointment, I too was hoping for a discount for our upcoming trip but oh well, it could be worse we could be staying home.

We have stayed at the values in the past and enjoyed them very much. Actually I much prefer the food court there and would love the deluxes to have something like it. This will give you all the more incentive to spend as much time as possible in the parks.

No matter what Disney intel we all have we still cannot invent discounts that just aren't there.

Polynesian Dweller
08-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Well, venting is fine, but one needs to pick the right target of the vent and I'm not sure what the target would be in this case. Disney has the right to choose what discounts to give and when and the forums can only report what they know.

Disney has given discounts this year and like other years the periods picked and the type and number of rooms in each resort are based on Disney's attempts to increase occupancy rates for certain weeks. Nothing in that has changed at all. If they didn't choose your period its because its already popular this year which is probably why so many people chose that period in the first place.

All one can ever use these forums (and any forums for) is guidance. All anyone of us can do is to use the info we have available from the boards, Disney sites etc. to make the best plans we can and then accept and expect the probability that something will change. Things will change and nobody here, including CMs, will have any knowledge until Disney corporate releases the information.

The important thing is to focus on going to WDW and having a great time while you are there. Its WDW so you know you will.:mickey:

Ian
08-15-2008, 10:21 AM
This is one of the reasons I'm glad we joined DVC.

But to the OP's point, there's not really much folks here at INTERCOT can do about Disney choosing to offer or not offer discounts over a given time period.

FWIW, that early part of December is rapidly becoming one of the most popular times of the year to visit WDW ... thanks in no small part to all the people who have gotten advice from places like INTERCOT about what a great time of year it (used to be) to visit.

Going forward, I wouldn't rely too much on discounts at that time of the year. In fact, I'm waiting for DVC to up the point requirement for this time period, it's become so popular. There isn't an available DVC room anywhere for that week.

bkfree
08-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I guess repeating the old adage "Don't count your chickens....." won't help will it?

We have always used SWV and they have always done a great job with our ressies and finding every available discount. So if one comes available for you, they will find it.

But no TA can make discounts appear when they are not there.

One, its a long way till Dec. Never say Never.

As other's have said, even a Value at WDW is a A value at WDW. I strongly believe the adventure and trip to WDW is what you make it.

I know families that have never been and so hope one day that they can afford to do it at any hotel.

I know others that have never been able to stay on site, yet still have the times of their lives.

Other's here who have only stayed at Values and have yet seen the need to venture up the rate scale.
So quit your Whining and change your attitude.

We love the YC and feel that is the most magic for us. Not only the resort but the location.

We are returning in Dec and just could not fork up the dough this time for that resort.

So we are staying at AKL and saving $1000 for on the room. That pretty much pays for our DDP and tickets or for all 4 of our plane tickets.
Now that makes me really happy.

I will LOVE the AKL. Why, because that is what I plan to do, that is where my mind is and it will be a new Disney experience.
But if we were staying at a Value or even offsite, I would have that same attitude and still have a great time.
Its Disney. Its WDW. What can be wrong with that?

Marker
08-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Sorry you feel you've waisted all your time, and lost your sense of pride because a discount you had hoped for failed to materialize.

I know i've participated here for a long time, and one thing I've learned is not to count on anything, including rumored discounts, until they are actually announced, and just because they've done it in the past doesn't mean they will in the future.

As for being forced to stay at a value resort, well all I can say is I'm staying at Pop Century next month, and I'm thrilled.

Good luck with those discounts, and getting what you want.

diz_girl
08-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Everyone needs to vent once in a while, so go right ahead.

Just remember, Intercot is not just about getting the discount. I'm also going to WDW in early December and I'm staying at WL, but I know that it's such a popular resort at Christmas-time that there is a good chance that I won't get a discount. But that's OK, as I still got my 15% AAA discount, which was a $38 savings per night. Not bad.

As pp mentioned, since a discount is offered for the last two nights of your stay, why don't you resort hop to a Mod for those last two nights. That way, you get to save money with staying at a Value, but you get to stay at a Mod for at least some of your trip.

I don't know when you booked your trip, but I recall that I received an e-mail PIN offer back in February (after ordering the Vacation Planning DVD that I heard about on this forum) that offered 20% off of the non-discounted price for the nights of 12/7 to 12/13 (missing my stay). So there was a discount for some resorts for that time, you may have just missed it. Sorry.

I love Intercot. It's a great forum with many helpful and knowledgeable people. They fill a need in allowing me to get my Disney fix in-between trips.

I know that you're disappointed, but remember, you're going to be at WDW in four months for ten night. Sweet!

BMan62
08-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Please don't blame the Resorts Forum for something TPTB at Disney did or didn't do.

In this case, Pop Warner Football is in town in the time frame you are booking and therefore bookings are up for that period. On either side - the week following Thanksgiving and the week prior to Christmas - bookings tend to be lower and Disney is looking to put bodies in the rooms.

As has been said many times prior in this thread, Intercot has no control over what TPTB at Disney do about their discounts.

SBETigg
08-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Wow, so all this time, you've just been using us for our discount advice? :cry: You're not here for the warmth, wit, and our scintillating conversation skills? :drama:

:D

jillluvsdisney
08-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Wendy from MJ checked rates for me using the pin code I receieved in the mail. The AAA rate I have booked already was a better price.

brownie
08-15-2008, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't count on discounts until you have them. Probably better to start with a value resort if you have to and upgrade if you are able to if discounts come out, if that is what your budget needs.

Goes4FastPass
08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Some folks are having to cancel WDW plans for the rest of this year in hopes that airfares will go down next year.

Goes4FastPass
08-15-2008, 03:50 PM
...All my WDW knowledge won't save me a dime this time around.:thedolls:
Your expectations seem to exceed your knowledge.

Gator
08-15-2008, 05:59 PM
All right! All right! I was just venting. I always want to stay in the best room I can, because everytime I go and leave, I realize it could be the last time. So I just don't want to be in a resort that I'm not satisfied with (poor theming, small rooms, bad bus service). I'm sure I'll love the Disney theming of ASM. I've just heard all the horror stories of the bus service. And with 2 kids under 4, and hauling a double stroller on the bus (because Disney's are way too expensive), I'm worried about bussing to Disney. And renting a car would be out of the question (travel to the parks is included in the price of the resort).

I guess it doesn't matter now. AAA has no discounts for the same time. So it's full price. But it's still WDW - so I'll cling to that along with my guns and religion.:cool:

WonderlandsMostWanted
08-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Just try to remember that anyone can have a bad experience at ANY resort, it's not exclusive to the Values. Depending on when and where you look, you could find more people complaining about the busses at the Mods than the Values, and vice versa. Sometimes it's an off day, sometimes it's a subjective thing. Go into it with a positive attitude and you should be fine.

Also keep in mind, I'm guessing with little ones that you'll probably be leaving the parks before close often times, and it seems that no matter what resort you're at, closing time seems to be the biggest problem for busses, so if you can avoid that with the little ones, it'll help.

AS Movies is great, and a lot of fun for litle ones, with the recognizable characters and such. Also, the way the AS resorts are set up, you'll still have better chances of being close to main building and bus stop than you would at 3 of the 4 moderate resorts. There are a lot of positives to the Values, if you're looking at it from the right angles.

You're going to be at Disney World, having a great time with your family at the holidays. That's the most important part. You'll be just fine. :mickey:

Ian
08-15-2008, 06:48 PM
But it's still WDW - so I'll cling to that along with my guns and religion.:cool:At least you still have a sense of humor ... that was FUNNY!

:haha:

sndral
08-15-2008, 07:07 PM
With 2 kids under 4 I bet they'll like the theme where you are more than a moderate or deluxe.
Just curious, are you flying out of Sacto?

mdhiggin
08-15-2008, 07:28 PM
I couldn't find anything available Dec. 5-8 at Contemporary when that's supposed to be value season even at flat rate. However, when the discounts came out, we changed our dates to 19-24 since they were on the AP discounts. Those dates are Holiday Season but with the discount, we paid Value Season price. I don't understand it, but I'm flexible. We usually stay at the value resorts, but this is a special trip for DH. I don't know why there are discounts for Holiday season and not value season, but I just watch for the discounts and go with what's available.

lindique
08-15-2008, 08:14 PM
I didn't get much of a discount this year either - only the AAA discount I already had (I made my reservation a long time ago.) However, I'm grateful that WDW still considers the beginning of December to be Value season - I was beginning to wonder if they were going to change that.

KAT1811
08-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Glad to hear that you still love us.

I have to say that traveling to the All Stars with little ones is great. The theming is much more captivating for them as they "get it" even as little ones. Who doesn't love a larger than life 101 Dalmation or Toy Story Characters. The other plus to a value with little ones is that they have one main bus stop. No waiting for your stop and shuffling your stroller around those trying to get off at the stops before yours. All the resort busses are busy at park closing but I have noticed that the All Stars have far more busses than any of the moderates. I saw about 4 All Star busses come and go before one of our moderate busses arived. Another thing we love about the values with little ones is the vast array of food court dining choices. No problem getting cereal at night if that is what the little ones want. DD#1 loved the values when we stayed there (which we always did when she was little). She used to go crazy for the huge icons. I bet you'll forget all about not being in a moderate when your little ones go wild over the theming. No matter what have a great trip!

Gator
08-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Just curious, are you flying out of Sacto?

I always fly out of SMF(Sacramento). The problem with Modesto is that it's an hour and a half away from about 4 airports. But SMF is easy to park and get around. Plus I avoid the bay area like the plague.

ParkMan
08-15-2008, 11:49 PM
I hear you - and I'm sorry to see your disappointment. You contribute, visit regularly, and feel that you've become an expert - and then it doesn't work out. That's got to be frustrating.

Last December when we booked our trip, I had a LOT of difficulty working out the discounts. I did see discounts open up as fall progressed. I think we ended up changing our hotel a week before we left.

On that same trip, I had a point where Disney wanted to charge me for canceling my reservation less than 30 days prior to my trip. It caused quite a bit of frustration - something that you never would want to associate with planning a trip to WDW.

Good luck - I hope thing work out!!!

OogieBoogieMan
08-16-2008, 12:21 AM
I think this thread needs some Janis Joplin (Sorry, I am having trouble relating to the problem and I didn't know posts were directly proportional to discounts, I need to get busy)

Oh lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?
My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends,
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So oh lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?

Mousemates
08-16-2008, 09:17 AM
OogieBoogieMan I think this thread needs some Janis Joplin (Sorry, I am having trouble relating to the problem and I didn't know posts were directly proportional to discounts, I need to get busy)

Oh lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?
My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends,
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So oh lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?

Or perhaps this bit of altered Joplin (my apologies to the original second verse) would be more appropriate for those of us who do sometimes avail ourselves of the expertise of fellow intercotees in an attempt to get the very most bang from our Disney Dollars.

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a trip to Disney?
Resort Discounts are trying to find me.
I watch on intercot each night until three,
So Lord, won’t you buy me a trip to Disney ?

sndral
08-16-2008, 02:20 PM
mousemates - thx for the laugh.
Gator - I'm in Modesto also and prefer SMF. I've had too many sweating bullets moments stuck in bay area trafffic wondering if I'll make it to SFO in time.
Loved the poster who said drive - in december! to the tune of 'to grandmother's house we go' - over the mountains and thru' the plains, to disneyworld we go.

Goes4FastPass
08-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Or,

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a room that's deluxe?
If I stay at 'value' I can't wear my tux.
Others will see me and think I have bucks,
If you will just buy me a room that's deluxe.
(and throw in 'concierge' oooooo)

Gator
08-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey, could we keep the singing and songwriting at WDW? I don't want to spoil myself on too much of the magic.:ack:

MickeysEars
08-16-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't think Gator was blaming Intercot for not getting discounts. I think he/she was just frustrated that after doing all her research, Disney did not offer discounts for the same time that they usually do. I may be wrong. I didn't read his post as being upset with the forum, just not getting to make the plans that so much time was spent in the making...Sorry, I am a big planner and would be upset if my plans were upset. Good luck!:mickey:

minnie1956
08-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I don't think Gator was blaming Intercot for not getting discounts. I think he/she was just frustrated that after doing all her research, Disney did not offer discounts for the same time that they usually do. I may be wrong. I didn't read his post as being upset with the forum, just not getting to make the plans that so much time was spent in the making...Sorry, I am a big planner and would be upset if my plans were upset. Good luck!:mickey:

That was one of the biggest pouts I've seen here in a long time. And I'm right along with him!!! Ya think you've got a plan, ya think ya got it goin on, You just know it's gonna be pay dirt. Then slam dunk. Nuthin.... Man, it's painful. :grouphug: We here at Intercot, usually are a step ahead of the "regular" folk in finding out about the deals.... Sorry Gator, maybe next time.:thumbsup:

MushuGrl
08-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Keeping toes and fingers crossed for you Gator!

I'd actually like a Value resort. We wanted Coronado, but ended up having to get a deluxe or stay off property. We've actually been planning this trip since our trip LAST year. We got plane tickets, we got days off (and in my and my friend's profession, you gotta do a dance to get off in December). Its my fault for waiting so long on booking the room, but we were waiting patiently for our Disney Visa discounts we'd been hearing so much about in December and...nothing.

I'm disappointed like you that we got no discounts, as that's a big thing for us to go during "value season" for cheaper rates and lighter crowds, as advertised by Disney. Instead we're having to fork out nearly $1200 more. Luckily, I've got the Disney Visa so it will still be interest free come income tax time or else I just wouldn't be able to go. Also this cuts out any trips for next year for us.

But I'm still keeping my chin up. Seems like various other deals pop up out of nowhere for tickets and such, since all our rooms are taken for that week. Maybe we'll get thrown a bone. And maybe the room you (and I) want will pop up!

If not...hey...least we made it there!

(And thank you for letting me vent! Rant over!)