PDA

View Full Version : Who loves AKL

sleeping beauty77
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Well we ( dh,sil,bil) just changed our reservations to AKL from the Poly for the AP discount. So I was wondering, what do you intercotee's love about this resort. We all love Boma and are planning to eat there during our stay. Other than the eateries, whatcha like there?:mickey:

Mousemates
08-13-2008, 04:16 PM
1. Savannah view rooms
2. The detailed theming in the rooms and throughout the resort.
3. The wonderful lobby area
4. The pool
5. The hidden mickey safari (my fave is the profile view in the ironwork leaves at the top right (looking out from the lobby).
6. Talking with the CMs from Africa
7.The best resort shop on the property.
8. To me AKL is one of the most relxing resorts in all of WDW.

Tinkerfreak
08-13-2008, 04:18 PM
1. Savannah view rooms
2. The detailed theming in the rooms and throughout the resort.
3. The wonderful lobby area
4. The pool
5. The hidden mickey safari (my fave is the profile view in the ironwork leaves at the top right (looking out from the lobby).
6. Talking with the CMs from Africa
7.The best resort shop on the property.
8. To me AKL is one of the most relxing resorts in all of WDW.

All of the above. We have stayed at the WL, BC and the Poly and we still love the AKL better. We love the quietness of the resort and there is nothing like enjoying your morning coffee while watching a giraffe.

AllDisney
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
This resort is our favorite. We love the warm feeling we get, when, after a busy day at the parks, we walk into that lobby.

The rooms are comfortable & cozy with the rich colors of Africa.

Plus....Jiko is one of our favorite places to eat. It's a must do for us.

You'll love it. It's Disney, after all:thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
08-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I loved AKL too. The lobby is wonderful, the gift shop unique, bus service is great and BOMA's is yummy. My kids loved the pool and I loved walking the grounds to view the animals. Enjoy.

sleeping beauty77
08-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. Keep 'em coming please.:thumbsup::rocks:

ToDisney
08-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Although its not in my signature...
We were lucky enough to stay at AKL for my DD's 16th Bday this year!
It was during the Christmas holidays. We had only reserved a regular room, which I was told no longer offer bunk beds. (I also have a DS 12) We were upgraded to a Savannah view with bunk beds.
We had eaten there (Boma's) many many times before, but I haven't ever realized how much I liked all the people that work at the Resort!
Everyone (mousekeepers included) say hello, and stop to speak or help you out if you need something.
AKL only has buses and is quiet and relaxing. But my to teens, LOVE it, and wouldn't want to go anywhere else.
Oh, don't miss the night viewing of the animals, the staff gives you special glasses to see with.
HAVE FUN! I wish I was going too!:mickey:

mickeymousedabomb
08-14-2008, 08:12 AM
AKL is my absolute favorite resort! It would be a dream to stay here for me. We've resort hopped on our visits and this is just my favorite. The theme, the smells, atmosphere, colors, and the breath taking lobby. Disney has done it hands down for me when it comes to resort favorite!

DizneyRox
08-14-2008, 08:46 AM
AKL is THE best resort on property, bar none. Given the choice, I would stay there, NOT the Grand, NOT the Poly, definitely NOT the Contemporary.

Everyone else pointed out the uniqueness of AKL. Gift Shop, Lobby, the views, etc. I've never had a bad experience at AKL.

c&d
08-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I love walking into the lobby and the smell and the "quietness" of it. Maybe because it's dark it just seems more relaxing when you walk in.

I loved watching the animals from our room, particularly one evening when they were trying to get the smaller animals into their shelters. They would get 2 of the 3 in and as they were trying to get the 3rd in another would run out. It was a very entertaining 15 minutes for us.

When we last stayed DS was 2 and 3 and the zero entry pool was great.

I liked that we didn't share our buses with anyone and we never had a problem with them.

arsenal3
08-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I really do wan't to stay here. It is on my list of hotels to stay at. The only thing that has kept me away is that everyone I kn ow that has stayed there says the traveling to the parks is a hassle. IS it really that big of a hassle, to all you who have stayed there??

maryt01
08-16-2008, 04:21 PM
love , love, love akl!

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I've never stayed there, but the savannah view makes it the most coveted for me.....

DizneyRox
08-17-2008, 07:29 AM
The only thing that has kept me away is that everyone I know that has stayed there says the traveling to the parks is a hassle. IS it really that big of a hassle, to all you who have stayed there??
HOGWASH I TELL YOU!

Bus service at AKL has never been an issue. The only times I've had trouble is when I forget something in the room... I think to myself, I have time to go back, I'm sure. I have missed the bus EVERYTIME! They run very good, or have in the past. With the new bus system, maybe things have changed, which wouldn't surprise me, but the resort is just great!!!!

maxrebo77
08-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Always make a point to visit AKL no matter where I am staying. Eat, have a cocktail:marg::beer:, see the animals, shop, whatever.
Lobby beautiful.
Store great.
Animals happy:D
CM's especially nice!
Don't miss storytelling by the firepit.
I don't remember any bad bus juju there, but that can happen anywhere if your stay is long enough.'
Jambo!

joanna71985
08-17-2008, 02:20 PM
I have completely fallen in love with AKL. It is a beautiful resort. I love looking out my window and seeing giraffes, zebras, and other animals strolling around outside. Too cool!

Eeyore's My Favorite
08-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the posts in this thread - DH & I are staying at AKL in about 23 days for our 23rd wedding anniversary. DH's choice and with AP rates it was too good to pass up. Have dinner ressies at BOMA which I understand is a must do. Have also heard about the night goggles to view the animals with. Just wish the time would pass a little quicker............:mickey:

hlkeck
08-17-2008, 05:57 PM
We leave in 19 days for our first stay at AKL. We are doing a 1 BR concierge stay and I will be happy to post my thoughts on the resort! We are very excited and made an effort to NOT visit AKL our last 2 trips so that we would all feel very special walking into our 'home' for the first time to stay there.

I'm more excited after reading everyones post about it!

RAIDER
08-18-2008, 07:43 AM
I have been reading these reviews with interest as i will be there in Dec for 2 weeks and i have never been to this resort ...cant wait !!!:D:cloud9:

Robbieligh
08-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I love the AKL. My husband and I are staying there in December. We actually got a pool view room this time to save some money but I am still excited about staying there. It is one of my favorite resorts, especially close to Christmas.

Goes4FastPass
08-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Some people who DO NOT have 'Poly' in their screen name (Hey, why isn't there a Pollyanna on this board?) like the AKL better than it's much older predecessor.

bluebloodisbest
08-19-2008, 07:53 AM
We love AKL so much that this is the only place we will stay. Only got 40 weeks and 24 pounds to go before I am ready to kick back and enjoy AKL all over again can’t wait :cool:

magicgal
08-19-2008, 04:38 PM
We will be staying there in Jan. I cannot wait. We are booked in a standard room, but that is ok with me. There are other places to view the animals. I just am so happy to be staying there. We toured the resort and property and it is gorgeous! We will also be trying out Jiko for the first time!

WhiteRose1
08-19-2008, 07:07 PM
stayed there for our honeymood - was wonderful....the hotel is U shaped, best view of animals is at the end of the U..so walkwalkwalkwalkwalkwalkwalk...to the room.

bus service is awesome. quick. never share a bus with another resort...never have to get on an already crowded bus....never have to fight for a seat!!

tink'72
08-19-2008, 07:25 PM
LOVE, LOVE , LOVE AKL...So much so that we bought into AKL!

Did I mention I LOVE AKL...Awesome gift shop , great views, incredible pool and a ton of things for the kids to do.