PDA

View Full Version : A vegetarian in WDW

starryeyes21
08-13-2008, 11:53 AM
I recently took up vegetarianism. I've been going strong for about three months now and I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, my soon-to-be husband and I are going to Walt Disney World on our honeymoon. I have already made all of my reservations for dinner. Actually, I made them so long ago that I was still only toying with the idea of being meat-free.

What do I need to do to insure that I get meat free meals? I don't like to be a nudge by any means. Some of the menus I've looked at don't seem to have alot of options for me. Also, my fiance is still getting used to the idea of me going "veg" so I would like to do all of this as quietly as possible.

Is there anyway that I can make plans without having to speak with someone while we are actually sitting down to dinner?

:eat:

jonahbear2006
08-13-2008, 12:24 PM
I would read menus and find the places that offer what you need. I am a vegetarian as well, and there are places where you can get vegetarian food. You can get sandwiches at wolfgang puck express, earl of sandwich both at DD, and soup and salad at Cosmic Ray's Starlight cafe at MK. Sunshine seasons at Epcot has a Cuban vegetable sandwich and soup and mac and cheese and at HS you can go to backlot express to get a grilled vegetable sandwich. You can eat Dinner at a buffet; Boma at AKL or Tusker house at AK which are both vegetarian heavens but also have meat dishes to choose from. Sassagoula floatworks a New orleans French quarter, Electric umbrella at Epcot, Pecos Bills at MK, Restaurantosaurus at Ak, and Starlight rays all have the vegetarian burger. Also, any of the buffets, it would be pretty easy to get by eating a vegetarian meal and never be bothered about it. Goodluck and have a great trip!

Dragongirlx
08-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Starryeyes21 there is another website that has a couple of good article about being a vegetarian at disney world. I will pm you a link to the article

NJGIRL
08-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I have been a vegetarian for 18 years now and have been to Disney many times since then. I have always been able to find lots to eat at MOST of Disneys restaurants. Here's an example: If a pasta dish has meat on it I ask for it without the meat. let me know which restaurants you will be going to and I can tell you what I had there to eat. You can PM me if you want.

And congrats on becoming a vegetarian. It's so easy now not to eat meat and still get protein with all the choices that are out there now. It's so healthy and talk about going Green! It's good for the enviroment too!

MissStyles
08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
If you're going to the California Grill definitely order the Vegetarian Unplugged. It's not on the menu but it's great, just ask for it. They put together a meal for you of all the sides and also a mini flatbread and sometimes a mini version of the specialty salad. It always comes out looking so creative every time I order it. :thumbsup:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I've been a vegetarian my whole life. I eat dairy, eggs, sometimes broth/stock, just not fish, meat or grown-up poultry. Obviously your options are precluded by what your definition of vegetarian happens to be.

I don't think there are a lot of tasty vegetarian choices in WDW. For the widest range, where you don't need to make special requests, the best options I found were the buffets.
There were places with standard veggie options, like The Plaza in MK where you can get veggie burgers. Also, I would order food that's normally prepared with meat/poultry/fish and just ask them to hold the non-veg ingredients (ex:pasta dishes).

No one was discourteous about my requests at all. Being in the high-volume hospitality industry, I'm certain they're accustomed to all sorts of requests (food allergies, low salt, kosher, etc).

MinnieMommie
08-14-2008, 09:30 PM
The wave at CR has vegetarian options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Check it out. :mickey: