PDA

View Full Version : Sick at Disney?

disneycutie165
08-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Right now we are four days until our Disney trip, but I have a serious allergy infection. Sore throat, bad cough, and some sniffles. I am hoping that I will get better before our trip, but it has been going on for two weeks now! I was just wondering, what do they do if you get sick at your Disney resort? Do they have a special clinic, or do they send a doctor to your room? But please send pixie dust and prayers so I can enjoy our trip!:thumbsup:

Wrigley
08-13-2008, 09:26 AM
First of all, I hope you feel better soon. It's no fun being sick, especially when something exciting is coming up, like a Disney vacation:) I got sick on a previous trip and we called the front desk and asked them what we should do. They said they would take care of everything-so they had a van come and pick us up that took us to a clinic that was near by. Then, when I was done being checked out and getting my meds from the pharmacy (it's attached to the clinic), the van came and picked us back up and took us back to the resort. They were all really nice and helpful. Again, I hope you feel better soon and can enjoy your trip!

ChipDale2708
08-13-2008, 09:36 AM
:ditto: I came down w/ bronchitis the day before we headed to WDW a few years ago. When I finally gave in to it, Disney was terrific getting me to a walk-in clinic and returning us to our resort w/ medication. The cast member taking care of our mini-bar (still had them then) even restocked it w/ just juice and ginger ale for me. They do have doctors that will come to your room, however at the time it was faster to be taken to a clinic. The earliest the doctor would get to me was 9pm and it was noon.

Hope you feel better quick and won't need Disney's medical services. :thumbsup:

dixielandings
08-13-2008, 09:58 AM
A few years ago, DH and I both got "the virus" on 2 different days of our trip - Joy. It was the kind of thing where we couldn't leave the room, you know? DH got it first - I called the front desk and told them what was going on and they called a near-by medical service that apparently serves the WDW area. They sent a doctor pretty quickly - I don't remember how long it took but it was not long - who quickly assessed that DH was already dehydrated. So he dispensed some meds and then sent for a nurse who came later with IV bags of fluid. No kidding - DH, hooked up to an IV in our room at the Dolphin. A couple days later when I came down with the same thing, DH called for the doc straight-away and I managed to avoid the IV!

All of that and the hotel staff was great - very accomodating and helpful without hovering. BUT the bill from the medical service was HIGH! It sounds like you will be mobile so if you should need a doc - and I hope you don't! - you will be able to go to them instead of vice versa.

Which Resort are you staying in? It might help to know that even if you don't feel good enough on a given day to join your family in the Park, that you have a beautiful relaxing place to rest. I hope you feel better SOON! :ill:

Mousemates
08-13-2008, 10:08 AM
I had the misfortune of getting an upper-respiratory/sinus infection during our trip last June....Disney apparently has something of a working agree with Florida Hospital (not sure if I have the name absolutely correct) which has a walk in clinic near the downtown disney area. Transportation can be provided (not sure, if its WDW or the FH which provides the ride).

The medical staff was friendly and very used to dealing with vacationers...the doctor gave me a basic "look in the holes" examination, prescribed an anti-biotic and sent me on my way. They billed my insurance and it seemed like I only had to pay a minimal co-payment at the time of departure ($10?).

The only major negative from my experience was the wait....we got there before the doors opened, were second in line, and it was still lunch time when we got out. Not sure if that is the norm or not, but it pretty much killed a day.

Another option for minor medical care at WDW would be the new in-store clinics at Walgreens which are (I beleive) staffed by a Nurse practioner. We went by one to get my prescription filled and were told that their wait time is generally much less than the clinic. (The particular walgreens I''m talking about is just down the street from the clinic and sits besides Joe's Crab Shack).

hope this information ends up being unneeded and you have a great trip.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Hope you feel better soon:pixie:

Aggie97
08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Several years ago I did get very sick at WDW (by the time I got home, I had pneumonia and bronchitis :ill:). The front desk referred us to a doctor that came to our room. Perhaps we got lucky, but it was very quick -- we probably called around 6 and were done by 7:30 -- in time to go to dinner. I really hope you feel better soon! :mickey:

Mickey378
08-15-2008, 03:38 PM
hope you feel better soon...you never know what can happen with the magic of Disney. We ar leaving in 30 days and last week I hurt my back at work..sooooooo I'm counting on the same pixie dust here.:thumbsup:

goofyluva9293
08-15-2008, 10:51 PM
A few years ago we flew to WDW and got settled in to our hotel. That night, myself, my brother & my 2 DD's (then ages 10 & 12) went to Universal Studios for HHN. My oldest daughter kept complaining about her eyes bothering her but she has allergies and we thought it might be from all of the artificial fog that they were using. But the next morning she woke up w/ a headache, ear ache and very gooey eyes. We had a rental car but the front desk gave us very easy directions to the clinic. It took most of the day and they didn't deal with our insurance so I had to pay w/ my credit card and it was very expensive. They did get her taken care of and gave her prescriptions for the ear infection and the pink eye that she had. (We're pretty sure she got the pink eye from the airport or the airplane since we saw 2 other people from our flight who ended up w/ it too!) Two days later my little cousin who was 18 months then ended up w/ heat rash and an ear infection as well. The person that I felt most bad for though was my brother. He was the only one who was allowed to drive the rental car so he had to spend 2 of his vacation days sitting in the clinic and he wasn't even the one who was sick.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and enjoy your trip!!