PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans post-Katrina?

Belle619
08-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

When I was little I there were three places in the US that I wanted to travel to - 1.) Florida to see palm trees, 2.) California to see the Pacific Ocean, and 3.) New Orleans to see the architecture. Well, I've accomplished two of the three.

For our one year anniversary, my husband and I have been thinking of places to go for a long weekend and I automatically thought of N.O., but my one concern was what it is like post hurricane Katrina? Has anyone gone there lately? If so, are there hotels you recommend? Is it nearly back to its old self?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TKDONALD
08-12-2008, 12:17 PM
I Live In New Orleans. There Is Nothing Wrong With The City And The French Quarter. Please Come Down Have A Good Time.

Jason

Strmchsr
08-12-2008, 12:34 PM
:ditto: I've been back several times since Katrina, both for pleasure and business (assisting with recovery efforts). You won't be disappointed at all. There are lots of great places to stay. I, personally, love Lafitte's Guest House and the Cornstalk Hotel for places outside of your normal Holiday Inn type. Both have tons of history and are beautiful (not to mention rumored to be haunted :hide2::D )

TKDONALD
08-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks You For Your Help With Our City. You And Your Family Are In My Prayers.

Jason

1DisneyNut
08-12-2008, 12:52 PM
I have been several times as well. We went a few months after they started allowing tourists in again and the french quarter and bourbon street were and still are just fine. We like staying at the Inn on Bourbon because of its convenience. Its convenient walking distance to everything in the French Quarter and is a very nice place.

Katarch
08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
We were in New Orleans last weekend, everything was fine. There's lots of stuff to do. Restaurants are open - food is great! I like the JW Marriott on Canal Street or the Renaissance Arts Hotel in the Warehouse District, Royal Orleans in the French Quarter is also really nice.
I think it's a perfect weekend trip!:mickey:

Belle619
08-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Great - thank you all for your advice! I'm going to do some research on all those places today! I'm soooo excited!!!! :mickey:

Nut4DW
08-13-2008, 08:44 AM
We've been several times post Katrina also and found the French Quarter to be in great shape. We prefer staying at the Place de'Arms - very close to Jackson Square, Cafe de'Monde and Bourbon Street. If you stay there, ask for room 408 - larger room with a great view of the pool area. Have a great time - be sure to go to Pat O'Briens and enjoy the piano bar.

pandkx3
08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
We live approx. 90 miles north of NO, which makes it a great weekend getaway. We were in NO the weekene of Aug. 1 for our aniversary. We have gone many times since Katrina and it's fine. The hotels that we usually stay at are the Bourbon Orleans (on the corner of Bourban st and orleans st) and the Place D' Arms. Both hotels are very close to everything and historic (I am a big history buff). There were alot of jazz related activities that were great the weekend we were in NO. You'll have a great time.;)

pandkx3
08-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Sorry....I forgot to tell you that the Place D' Arms is on St. Ann st.

MsMin
08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
I work with post katrina psychological functioning. So I see the areas that are still in bad shape but the tourist area was barely affected. The French Quarter District and the Art District are nice places to stay. I know they have some nice hotels in the art district too and its a good walk to the French Quarter (I did it b/c we have a condo down there ;))
Just don't walk to Louis Armstrong Park or go to the St. Roch cemeteries. Unless just driving by in a car.

IloveDisney71
08-13-2008, 10:19 PM
My brother lives there and I live about 2 hours away so I've been back several times since Katrina. The tourist areas are fine! I usually stay with him or use my daughter's hotel discounts so I can't recommend any non-brand hotels. I do recommend getting some beignets for breakfast and I love eating the crawfish etouffee when I'm there. I can't get it where I'm from. Oh and don't forget the pralines and of course a Hurricane. :D

buzznwoodysmom
08-14-2008, 09:57 AM
I highly recommend staying at the Royal Sonesta on Burbon street. We stayed there for a few nights last year and the service was top notch. The service we received from the hotel staff was better than what is expected at WDW. They went out of their way to ensure their guests were happy!