PDA

View Full Version : Complicated AP renewal question

TINKERBELL_82
08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Hello all! I read on the WDW website that you can renew your AP or SP with the renewal discount within 30 days of the expiration. I though it could be 30 days before or after but it looks like they changed the wording. My pass expires on 8/18 and I am going on 8/22, and now I'm worried that I'll have to pay full price if I wait. Does anyone know the official rules on renewals?

Also- If I renew online the week of my trip can I just go pick up my pass at the ticket window, or will that cause issues?:confused:

TIA!:mickey:

ILoveLegos
08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
You can renew after your expiration date. You will only be 4 days off the 365 day mark - the renewal price is worth it. Let's say if you were 100 days off your renal date, it would be a better deal for you to just get a new annual pass and the full 365 days that go with it. To summarize: renewing within a short time after your anniversary date is a savings after that, you are short changing yourself in the number of days that it has on the pass. Hope this helps.

P.S.
I crunched the numbers based on a 365 day period (6.5% tax included):
New Adult AP = $499.49 cost per day $1.37
Renewal Adult AP = $456.89 cost per day $1.25 (a 12 cents per day savings)
Total savings of getting a renewal instead of a new AP = $42.60
Remember to subtract each day after your anniversary date from your 365 day total, which technically raises your cost per day on the renewal rate).
The break even point is the 33rd day.
That's why they say you can renew up to 30 days after the AP date, technically you loose money on the deal after the 33rd day.

P.P.S.
I Just noticed that you are from Florida annual passes are cheaper than regular APs so the price per day is different but the reasoning to figure out the "break even point is the same, 4 days after your anniversary date is still a good deal, and yes you can renew your annual pass then. I do the exact same thing every year in January!

Gusgus
08-12-2008, 12:42 PM
As another option you can log onto the Disney Passholder site and renew online. Select the "will call" option and it will be held for you at guest services. You need to go to guest services anyway and it will be paid for when you get there. I have done that a few times now without any problems.

Toodle
08-13-2008, 09:10 PM
We have been annual passholders for years and we always renew before our renewal date - it is our understanding that you must renew before your renewal date to get the renewal rate.
I would do as Gusgus suggested and renew on line.
I would renew now because no matter which day you renew on - even if you renew 30 days before your pass expires - the new pass begins on the day that your old pass expires - not on the date that you renew - so even if you are able to renew after your pass expires they will backdate it to the date it expired.
If you belong to AAA, they will issue you a vocher at any AAA office that you can turn in at Guest Services before you enter the park.