PDA

View Full Version : December Flights--How Long to Hold Out?

mickeys_princess_mom
08-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Flying to the World end of second week in December. Any expectations that Southwest will lower fare between now and then? Should I go ahead and book? Getting nervous....

faline
08-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Hard to know. With oil costs dropping, there might be some reductions in flight costs. However, December is also a busy month to fly. You'll have to judge by how nervous you are and, if you want to lock in or wait.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-12-2008, 12:01 PM
You'll have to judge by how nervous you are .
:laughing:

ThanxForNoticin
08-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Keep in mind, when flying SW, if the rates go down on your flights after you book, there are ways to get that difference credited toward a future flight. SW won't charge you a penalty to rebook at the lower prices.

bkfree
08-12-2008, 01:28 PM
We are going Dec 3-10. We booked our SW flights in June when they were first released. Actually within minutes of when they were released.

I knew that if the fares came down, that SW would credit us with the difference with no penatly.
SW's fares were far below any other airlines, the only ones with direct non stop flights and had really agreeable flight times.

SInce we booked,I have checked the fares for our flights about every other day and they have only gone up, not down.

Book now, SW really looks out after you if they lower the fares.

eandrsmom
08-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I did the same as the above poster. We booked the day that SW released our December dates. I've checked their site a few times, and our flight has actually increased in price.

lindique
08-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Southwest is only offering discounts right now for flights in the early fall (not December yet), and only for days and flights that didn't sell well at the full price. So, if the flight that you are interested in is still selling at the original price, you may see a discount in a few weeks. Flights on Tuesdays and Wednesdays tend to have more discounts than other days.

Cookie123
08-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't fully understand that booking process if you see a lower price.

I am already booked for December 6th, on Southwest. I have a round trip package.
So what happens if a great "Ding" fare comes through for my same date? I had already booked on-line. I presume that I also get the "Ding" fare on-line? The next thing I know is that you click on "Tools" on the Southwest web site.

I am lost from there. Has anyone else been through this process already?

bkfree
08-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Southwest is only offering discounts right now for flights in the early fall (not December yet), and only for days and flights that didn't sell well at the full price. So, if the flight that you are interested in is still selling at the original price, you may see a discount in a few weeks. Flights on Tuesdays and Wednesdays tend to have more discounts than other days.

Actually the fare we booked for our Dec trip has been selling at above the original price since we booked. It has yet to fall back to our booking price yet.We booked the day it was released.