PDA

View Full Version : Is the French Quarter nice?

Ksmith75
08-12-2008, 10:13 AM
We always stay in the POR....and have seen the FQ, but I wondering if anyone stayed in both and like one over the other?

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes, Yes, and Yes!

We have stayed in both POR and FQ, and although we like both, we prefer FQ.

The rooms are the same size, but we love the more "urban" New Orleans theming, we love the smaller size of the resort, everything is just so close at FQ.

The best thing of PO though, is that you can easily wander over to POR or FQ, walk the trails, try a different pool, etc.

Strmchsr
08-12-2008, 10:57 AM
They're both great. It's just which theming you prefer - Old South or New Orleans. IMHO I think POFQ is more "romantic" and POR is more family oriented so we choose based on which purpose we're going.

brownie
08-12-2008, 11:47 AM
French Quarter is nice and feels more intimate due to its smaller size. We found it quieter there when we stayed in 2001. There's only one pool (you can use the pools at Riverside, though) and it was crowded.

TexasPrincessAurora
08-12-2008, 12:02 PM
We've stayed at both...there are things to love about both, but I love the smaller size of FQ. The themeing is great and it really feels like you are in NO. The food court is yummy and the pool is fun! If I were you I'd definitely give them a try!

RedSoxFan
08-12-2008, 12:15 PM
POFQ is a great resort. Very small and everything is close by: bus stop, food court, gift shop, pool, etc.

doodleboy
08-13-2008, 10:30 AM
We love POFQ over many of the moderates. We usually take two trips a year, and to save a couple of bucks on the second trip we choose POFQ with AP rate if possible.

WDW1208
08-17-2008, 04:11 PM
We love POFQ. We try to stay there every trip. We usually splurge on a deluxe every 3rd trip, and we always do our first night at POFQ before we change resorts, since we fly in late afternoon. We hate to pay for deluxe when we don't get there until early evening. We also rent DVC points a lot and stay Sunday-Thurs since less points are needed. We always add on 1-2 nights at FQ before or after our DVC stays. We have stayed in a king room in AB section of POR and liked that as well, but prefer the smaller more intimate feeling of POFQ. I agree with what everyone else said, great theme, yummy food court (get some Beignets), quiet, and you can use all the amenities at POR, just walk down the path! I have recommended it to many friends that are going to WDW for the first time and they have all loved it!

I booked us for Decemeber for POP to try to save some $$ this next trip since it is just my hubby and me, but he said "No way! If we can't stay at POFQ then we will have to postpone until we can afford more!" so I switched this morning to POFQ! Glad they had rooms, though we are still trying to get a king room which was unavailable.

TheRustyScupper
08-17-2008, 04:35 PM
1) Nice is a general description.
2) All of the Moderates are "nice".

3) POFQ is a our favorite Moderate
. . . smallest of the WDW resorts
. . . walks between buildings/bus/food is short
. . . nice food court
. . . good bakery
. . . pleasant hot tub
. . . best slide of WDW pools
. . . near DTD via boat ride

kathiep
08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
We usually splurge on a deluxe every 3rd trip, and we always do our first night at POFQ before we change resorts, since we fly in late afternoon. We hate to pay for deluxe when we don't get there until early evening.

I just booked our 1 night room only for September at FQ for this same reason. We're staying at the Poly but just could not swallow spending $350 when we'll be getting in late afternoon.

And DH has always said that FQ was the last resort he had any interest in. Too bad CBR & CSR were both booked - I'll finally get to try FQ and maybe, just maybe I'll be able to convert him!!

LudwigVonDrake
08-17-2008, 07:46 PM
POFQ is compact and thus the walks to everything are short. The food court is good (gotta get some Beignets!) and for the most part the bus service on my trip in July was fine.

PrincessEllie'sMommy
08-18-2008, 03:30 PM
We have stayed at Riverside once and French Quarter twice. I really prefer French Quarter. It is smaller and the buses stop there first!!!! We rarely had to stand. However, for our vacation in 2 weeks, we are staying at Riverside with my family. I didn't get to choose. My brother likes Riverside because of the Restaurant and Store. There is only a food court and small store at FQ. Also, I think what building you stay in at Riverside is a big part of how much you like it.

Goes4FastPass
08-18-2008, 06:49 PM
The French Quarters at Disney World is nice.

The French Quarter in New Orleans tends to be naughty.

The French Quarter (restaurant) in Charlotte is crowded. But their baked chicken is feeabulous.

HoosierDisneyFan
08-18-2008, 08:04 PM
We have stayed at both POR & POFQ. We prefer POFQ because it is much smaller (less walking after a long day in the parks) and the buses return to POFQ first (most of the time). The smaller size makes it easier to get to the center building for snacks, games room, etc.

A few of the advantages of POR are that is has a larger gift shop, larger pool (actually several pools) and has a TS resturant. But as a few people have already stated, it is a short walk over to POR from POFQ if you want the "best of both" resorts.

Kairi_7378
08-18-2008, 09:02 PM
They're both great. It's just which theming you prefer - Old South or New Orleans. IMHO I think POFQ is more "romantic" and POR is more family oriented so we choose based on which purpose we're going.

:ditto:

WDW1208
08-22-2008, 10:59 AM
I agree with what everyone else mentioned, a smaller, more intimate feel. It is much quieter and serene than the All Stars and Pop. Even when it is booked solid it still does not feel as crowded as some of the other resorts. We love it and everyone we have recommended it to has loved it as well.

Marker
08-22-2008, 11:42 AM
I have stayed in both, and I really like them both. If I had to choose, I'd probably choose Riverside over Frech Quarter. I really enjoy the paths and green space at Riverside, to me it's very soothing and relaxing. I also like the fun of swimming at Ol' Man Island, and the contrast of the more peaceful "neighborhood" pools.

But really, I like both resorts.

minnesotafreeze
08-22-2008, 06:48 PM
I stayed at POFQ in Feb and was a little disappointed. I thought the resort was a little beat up. The POR seemed better maintained when I stayed there. The big plus about the POFQ is the size of the resort.:mickey: