PDA

View Full Version : Fine Dining Opinions - HELP!?

Figment78
08-11-2008, 11:14 PM
As is sometimes the case when booking ADRs far in advance, as the trip draws near, we are rethinking our ADRs. Since this will be the first adults-only getaway for me and DH since 2005 and an "early-anniversary" trip, we'd like to do some special dining. We used to love to go out for dinner all the time, but since having DS this past spring, the opportunity to do so is rare...

We want to try some new places, and probably the type of places we won't be dining at with a 2 year old on our next trip!

Current ADRs: (all dinner)
Tutto Italia
California Grill
Bistro de Paris
Mama Melrose's

Of the above, we've only ever eaten at Mama Melrose's and really enjoy it. However, we would consider switching it out for other another restaurant since we want to try new things. We've never eaten at Tutto Italia, but used to like Alfredo's. We would consider swapping this out too. And we have another dinner or two, yet unplanned. We plan to keep Cali Grill and Bistro.

We're considering:

Narcoosee's
Citricos
Fulton's Crab House
Brown Derby (was a long ago fave back in the 90s, but haven't eaten here since 2002 honeymoon where we didn't enjoy the food very much)
Jiko (have eaten here and love the atmosphere)
San Angel Inn (love the food and atmosphere, but eat here almost every trip) :marg:
Rose & Crown

I'd love to hear people's opinions and experiences at any of these or other suggestions. We'd hate to skip a favorite for a new place and end up regretting it! And before everyone suggests Le Cellier - there are NO ADRs available for the duration of our trip. :(

In addition, we visited a few "bars/lounges" on our Honeymoon and really enjoyed that. :wine: Does anyone know of anywhere that serves drinks and a small late menu? Jiko & Cali Grill used to - do they still?

Thanks in advance!

KatMark
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Narcoosee's never been
Citricos never been
Fulton's Crab House one of our favorites--we are having our special 25th anniversary dinner there--just be aware--very expensive and not on the dining plan
Brown Derby (was a long ago fave back in the 90s, but haven't eaten here since 2002 honeymoon where we didn't enjoy the food very much) we were not impressed
Jiko (have eaten here and love the atmosphere) never been
San Angel Inn (love the food and atmosphere, but eat here almost every trip) never been--don't like Mexican food
Rose & Crown we enjoy and usually go every other year

SBETigg
08-11-2008, 11:41 PM
If you didn't love Brown Derby in the past, I wouldn't advise a return. There are too many other places you may enjoy more.

Narcoossee's is one of these. We had a relaxed, wonderful meal there on our last anniversary trip. They really spoiled us and it was lovely. Citricos, also quite good. You might add Flying Fish to the list. Jiko is also good, but since you've tried that, maybe try a new one.

I also think you've made good choices with California Grill and Bistro de Paris. I haven't been to Tutto Italia, but why not give it a shot? Mamma Melrose wouldn't make my list, but you've been there and you like it so it is probably a good choice for you. But I would take it off the list and try the nearby Flying Fish instead.

I love Mizner's Lounge at the Grand Floridian, Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian. California Grill will let you up for a drink and a nibble provided there is room at the bar (you're safer to make ADRs, unless you're going late, past fireworks time, and then you'll probably have no trouble). Happy travels, and enjoy!

RALPH
08-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Fulton's would be a wonderful choice. Have you consdered Yachtsman Steakhouse or Shula's?

The bar next to Yachtsman serves drinks and light appetizers. DW and I would often stop for a couple of drinks and if still hungry order a cheese plate or something else.

c&d
08-12-2008, 10:32 AM
We really enjoyed Narcoosee's when we ate there.

I would also suggest Artist Point, it's a must eat at on every trip down for us.

henry.james.s
08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
The Flying Fish at The Boardwalk is a GREAT restaurant. Second only to The Califorina Grill IMO. :thumbsup:

mook3y
08-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Another vote for Narcoossee's! Plan dinner around wishes. :)

bruin1344
08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
i recommend switching mama melrose with rose & crown, mama melrose has mediocre italian food, rose & crown has great food and its great to eat there while watching illuminations

never tried any of your other considerations

Figment78
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the input!

In regards to Yachtsman - we do love this place as well... we were trying to try new places but now I'm tempted to return there!

Narcoosee's seems to be a big hit on this board! I will put that high on our list...

In regards to Mama Melrose's, we have always enjoyed it in the past, but now I'm a bit concerned. Specifically because I'm finding different menu items on different websites... In fact, this is true for several of our restaurants options - Cali Grill, Bistro de Paris, and even Rose and Crown. I'm going to post a new thread with these discrepancies and see if anyone can clear things up....

Natazu
08-14-2008, 05:04 AM
My two cents :twocents:

Mama Melrose's ☺☺☻
Not really fine dining, Mama's is adequate for flatbread and dessert. The prices are acceptable and there’s rarely a long wait. If you’re looking for a great Italian dinner, this probably isn’t the place. The menu isn’t very diverse and very little of it is fresh. The staff has admitted to me that they are more concerned with getting people fed and back out to the park than providing a true dining experience. Mama Melrose’s is a stereotypical theme park eatery.

Tutto Italia ☺☺☺
Quite a bit better than the canned Italian food you get at Tony’s or Mama Melrose’s, Tutto brings a more authentic board of fare. The menu is quite a bit more varied than the usual Italian eatery so even the pickiest diner can find something. The servers are dressed to kill in starched white shirts and black ties which is a little over the top for a place in a theme park but that may just be me. All the ingredients are fresh and the wine list is above average. The problem seems to be execution. There are three things that make a restaurant excel or fail, consistency, consistency, consistency. Tutto Italia isn’t maintaining consistent food quality. People shouldn’t leave a $100 dinner saying “pretty good”. People should leave with their schedules in their hand trying to figure out when they can fit in another visit.

Narcoossee's ☺☺☺☺
The last of the surf-n-turf venues accepting the dining plan, don’t let that novelty lull you into thinking this place is anything short of spectacular. Offering the best seafood chowder I’ve ever tasted, the seafood-centric menu teems with exciting culinary delights. Give a try to inspired crab cakes, perfectly grilled scallops, or one of the best salmon dishes on property. And for the sweet tooth, there are a lot of places at Disney cranking out crème brûlée but Narcoossee’s Key Lime Crème Brûlée far outshines the rest.

Citricos ☺☺☺☺☻
One word, “Gateau of Crab”, one of those dishes that makes you stop what you’re doing and concentrate completely on the food. Chef Phillip’s kitchen runs like a well-olive oiled machine creating one Tuscan enchantment after another. The hardest decision at Citricos is what to order. Don’t forget to choose a selection from the 10,000 bottle wine cellar.

Fulton’s Crab House ☺☺☺
A beautiful restaurant, Fulton’s puts out fresh seafood for the masses. The prices suggest a gourmet experience but I haven’t found that to be the case. A little inconsistent, especially with the crab entrées, its not uncommon to have to send back overcooked fish or pick a shell or two out of the crab cakes. Not on the dining plan and offering no DDE discount, I have a hard time getting behind the cost to eat here. Give me Flying Fish or Coral Reef for the money.

Brown Derby (Signature Dining) ☺☺☺☺☻
Booth number five at this location may have never seen the likes of Clark Gable proposing to Carole Lombard, but the menu originality, quality of service and overall value makes the Disney version of Hollywood Brown Derby just as good as its California counterpart. Take time to gander at the caricatures throughout the lobby. Then try the Cobb Salad or the BBQ Scallop and Pork Belly, two of the things that make this place unique. There’s not a bad entrée in the house and the Crème Brûlée is one of the best.

Jiko ☺☺☺☺☻
Jiko is gourmet New African Cuisine, prepared fresh and served at its peak with the largest African wine list in North America. The staff is first rate with an expansive knowledge of the foods and spices that abound at Jiko. Personally, I could eat the gourmet mac & cheese (which takes two days to make) for every meal.

San Angel Inn ☺☺☺
Beautiful and romantic, from first glance the food has a lot to live up to. While the menu is imaginative, the food is only slightly better than average. The beef isn’t nearly tender and flavorful enough to be in a $24 - $27 entrée. Most of the chicken and seafood dishes are good. The sauces they use are exceptional. If they improved the quality of the meat and line cooks would do as much work on presentation as the designer did on the atmosphere, they’d have a Signature restaurant.

Rose and Crown (Table Service) ☺☺☺☻
We’ll go several trips and miss R&C, then we always wonder why we skipped it. The Samosas are excellent, so is the lump crab appetizer. You can’t ever go wrong with the fish & chips. The lamb with Guinness BBQ sauce and the orange chicken are unique and appetizing. This is a popular restaurant pre-Illuminations but don’t hold your breath for a patio table. They are harder to get then an NHS dental appointment.

Figment78
08-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Oh man! Jym's reviews have completely tempted me to try Narcoosee's, Citrico's and Rose & Crown. He made everything sound so delicious!

Last night DH and I called to change some ADRs. We now have the following:

Marrakesh (we do love this place and selected it as a fall back if we can't decide or get anything else. We love morroccan food and make it a lot at home, inspired by our many evenings there in WDW.)
Cali Grill - still hanging in here due to popular recommendations. Problem i'm having is that the apps look soooo good but aren't included on our dining plan....
San Angel Inn (for lunch - paying OOP since I typically only get an app here as my entree)
Mama Melrose's (we kept it for now, b/c we don't want to spend too much time away from the park stuff at MGM as it is the only night we are going. We've decided to pay OOP for this meal as well, since we will probably get a flatbread and salads)
Jiko - we decided to change from Bistro de Paris to Jiko. We love AKL at night and would miss visiting there. We were able to get very late ressies (9pm) and we will head over there after an evening at Epcot.... the Mac & Cheese... I know I shouldn't go based on one menu item, but the whole menu looks divine as well!

Thanks for everyone's help - I guess we're still in the deciding phase after all. Narcoosee's... Citricos... Rose & Crown... :confused:

Does anyone know if you can order appetizers at the bar at Rose & Crown? I've heard mixed answers to whether they serve food there - both, "yes" and "yes, but only fish and chips"

anneb
08-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I never eat macaroni and cheese (not even as a kid) and could not imagine it being on an upscale menu - much less being worthy of praise - but I've got to say the mac & cheese at Jiko is extraordinary, and wonderful. It was better than the filet! Enjoy!

garymacd
08-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I know this isn't on your list, but if you want a truly memorable dining experience, try Victoria and Albert's. It is very pricey, but worth every penny. It is the perfect place for a very first adults only getaway, especially an anniversary dinner.

Tinkerbellfan
08-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Hello,

We have dined at all of Disney's signature restaurants and my favorites are Jikos, Flying Fish, California Grill or Artist Point.