PDA

View Full Version : Flying Continental-Tips for packing!!

Guya103
08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
My family and I will be leaving for Disney on the 20th and we are flying Continental. We were wondering how others pack things like shampoos etc. staying within the 50 pound weight limit. Any tips or ideas would be great! :mickey:

Beast_fanatic
08-11-2008, 10:22 PM
On our last trip, we opted not to pack our shampoo and other liquids as we had a rental car so we just made a run to Wal-Mart and picked up the items we needed. On trips prior to that, we just packed what we needed in zip top bags (usually double bagged) so that if anything sprang a leak, the rest of the contents of the bag weren't ruined.

Disney Lynn
08-12-2008, 08:06 AM
WDW resorts provide shampoo and soap. They used to provide hand lotion (but we didn't get any on our last stay at the POP). Even if you love only one brand, using the free stuff for your stay will save weight! Don't worry about it making your hair frizzy (as some complain); it's actually the humidity in FL that makes some of us frizz up, not the shampoo!

Also, look for smaller sizes of your "must-haves" (At home, I usually buy the "best-buy" size, which is usually huge). Pay a little more for the size that will just get you through the trip (and then leave any leftover there- more space for souvenirs).

Pack your really heavy items in your carry-on bag- assuming it's not a liquid,cream, gel or aerosol!!!! We usually hand carry shoes, chargers, cameras, books, etc- anything heavy. As for liquids (etc), if you love one brand and can find it in a 3 oz size, buy enough for your entire trip and put them all in your one quart, ziplock bag. Each container must be 3 oz or less, but you can have as many of the same thing as you want- as long as the bag zips shut.

Weigh your luggage before you leave home. If one bag is "iffy" then weigh it first at the airport. If it's over, take something out and have them weigh it again. Keep taking out stuff until it's OK. Then squeeze the leftover items in another suitcase or your carry-ons.

If you weigh the heaviest bag last, you will not be able to retrieve your other bags to add stuff to them if the heavy bag is over the limit.

Does anyone else have any hints?

TheRustyScupper
08-12-2008, 10:24 AM
1) Over 50 pounds?
2) Holy Smokes!
3) We have seen over 50# only twice.
. . . using two suit cases for a 21-day European vacation
. . . using one suitcase for a 12-day NYC trip
4) You should be able to stay within 50# per checked bag.

NOTE: OK, there is one other situation. I frequently travel with a golf "staff" bag in a turtle hard shell travel case. Total weight including bag, clubs, shoes, balls is about 60#.

Little Round Bale
08-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I did not pack any shampoo or conditioner used the resorts. I also wore my tennis shoes and packed the flip flops. I did carry my electronics in a carry on. I usually buy a shirt at Disney so I pack one less day of shirts. PLUS this year we stayed at Boardwalk and used the washer and dryer so I packed light. Port Orlean has then also.

Unfortunately I borrowed my sisters suitcase and the suitcase alone weighed alot! Not to worry I stayed below 50. I normally over pack but this year I did good.

MNNHFLTX
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Probably the best way to avoid any worries about suitcases weighing more than 50 lbs is to not use the mega-sized luggage when flying. We are a family of three and find that three medium-sized suitcases, one for each of us, makes packing simpler and finding clothes more convenient (if you're like us and choose not to totally unpack your suitcase once you get to the resort). And Continental is one of the few airlines that still allows each passenger to check one piece of baggage free of charge, thank goodness!

ILoveLegos
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
My suitcase for a 10 day trip was 32 pounds going and 37 pounds comming home. I stayed at my second residence so all the toiletries were already there. A trip to walmart can do the same for you in Florida. I packed 5 pairs of shorts, 12 shirts and two pairs of sneakers and a pair of sports sandals. The rest of the stuff were books, underwear and electronics. The extra 5 pounds were some clothes that I decided to bring to my NJ home from FL.
The only time I came close to 50 pounds was on a 14 day trip to Hawaii that included an 11 day cruise. That was tough due to the formal wear that I had to bring. I would have been over weight on the return trip but I wisely threw away all the toiletries to make room for the souveniers on the re-pack I was 48.6 pounds.

LisaP
08-13-2008, 11:07 PM
I would suggest taking travel sizes of your toiletries and/or personal items, just enough to use and toss when you are done. Those 3 oz bottles are about $0.50 at Wal Mart and hold a good amount of shampoo for a week.

I would also weigh your luggage at home before you leave for the airport. We were going to attempt one large suitcase for a family of 3, but I read the baggage rules on the airline website and we opted for 2 medium cases instead.

I also bought those space saver bags at Target and they work awesome. Just a generic brand that does not require the vacuum to draw out the air. I folded and piled each of our clothes neatly, inserted them into the bag carefully, and then just flopped on top of them to let the air out and zipped. They created a LOT more room around the edges for things like shoes, etc.

Make a list, take only what you need, and plan your clothes so you don't bring excess. Packing smart makes vacation life easier :yay: