PDA

View Full Version : Tinkerbelle75's highly opinionated resort report

tinkerbelle75
08-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Pop Century: First of all, let me say that I am a huge fan of the moderate resorts. I think the value resort rooms feel too small, and I just can't justify paying $300+ for a room we only sleep and shower in.Since my daughter has insisted every trip that she wanted to stay at PoP, we stayed there on the first night just for her. We were in the 60's section. I had previously stayed there for one night ( sans hubby and kids) in the 90's section and had a pretty high opinion of this resort. Not this time! I found it to be not-so-clean, crowded and there was far too long of a hike from the parking lot to the room. There was a 30 minute wait to order in the food court at breakfast, and by the time we paid, the food was ice cold.But that's not the biggest problem I had with PoP. I was appalled when I looked off the balcony of our room and saw that beautiful bridge leading to that run-down, weeded-up mess they call the Early Years. Wow. That shocked me. I bet Walt is rolling in his grave right now over this one.Couldn't they at least paint it? Seemed very un-Disney to me. In the 30 years I have been going to WDW, I have never seen such a sad sight.Hopefully they'll tear it down or build a big wall or something. It is truly an eyesore.I do have a few good things to say about PoP however- the bartenders are wonderful at Petals, the check-in staff was very friendly and efficient, and the kids really enjoyed the decor and the Hippy Dippy pool. We only used the bus one time but the wait was less than 5 minutes.Out of a 10, I would give it a 5, and trust me, I am really not that hard to please.It would be my last choice of resorts.
Yacht Club: Our resort this trip was the Yacht Club. We had never stayed here and as I said before, I have never really been able to justify paying the Deluxe price for a few hours a night. Having stayed deluxe before, I thought I knew what to expect but I was blown away by the friendliness of the staff here. They are really on top of things and are extremely eager to help you in any way possible. We needed to shower for dinner and there were only 4 towels (for 5 people) so we called Mousekeeping to bring some more. Not only did they have them there within 5 minutes, they brought 10 new towels for us with a smile.
The pool was absolutely gorgeous and the kids had fun dancing with the lifeguards. The waterslide was a big hit with the kids. Hubby and I went down it a couple of times too, and for me to get in a pool or go down a waterslide is really a big deal. I loved the sand bottom and the different sections. There were tons of people in the pool but somehow it didn't feel crowded at all. It's the best pool I have seen at Disney hands-down.
The boat to Epcot and DHS is the biggest perk to this resort, IMO. To me, it's better than having the monorail. Our longest wait was 6 minutes to catch the boat. We loved it.
Bus service was good, too. Only a 10 minute wait for those at the most.
I truly loved this resort and would definitely stay there again. Out of a 10 I give it a 10.

TINKERBELL_82
08-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for sharing!

I have to agree with you on POP. I've stayed there once and am in no hurry to go back. After staying in the Mods for so long I think we've gotten spoiled...:mickey:

shadowden
08-11-2008, 11:43 AM
...thanks for the insight!

KatMark
08-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the report.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
:( I'm hoping for better before our stay in December

faline
08-11-2008, 12:31 PM
We stayed at Pop for a couple of nights last year and found it quite enjoyable (except for the size of the beds which were too small for our liking). Though we've never stayed at the Yacht Club, we have stayed next door at the Beach Club. I agree. The pool is fabulous!

Thanks for your observations!

ytzking
08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
I know what you mean about POP. I was thinking of staying there for a few nights a couple of years ago. After seeing a video of the abandoned section on YouTube, I thought it was just too creepy. VERY Un-Disney.

SBETigg
08-11-2008, 12:55 PM
I love opinionated reports. :thumbsup: Sounds like the Yacht Club was a truly great place to stay. I have trouble staying away from the Grand Floridian, my favorite, but I always consider the Yacht Club. One of these days.

Lizzie
08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the report. The yacht club sounds like a great experience and worth the extra money.

#1disneyfan
08-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the insight. I have never stayed at either resort, but sounds like Yacht Club wins hands down!

I have to admit that I am a bit of a hotel snob, and so is my family. We love the deluxe's when we can afford them. We usually do the moderates, POR, or an off site timeshare. But hands down I love the deluxe resorts. It, to me, has a different feel.

Tonight we leave for the POLY! One day I would love to try Beach or Yacht!

ChipnDaleGal
08-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for sharing your reviews. Sounds like you had a great time at the Yacht Club. It certainly is a beautiful resort. :mickey:

dtootsie42
08-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for your insight. Sorry the night at the Pop was so disappointing but it sounds like the Yacht club erased any bad residue.

We always stay at the Poly but after reading what you wrote we are thinking of staying at the Yacht club next time. We love Epcot and staying closer would be terrific.

tinkerbell04
08-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Sounds like you still had a great vacation. Thanks for sharing.

jdcastle
08-11-2008, 09:35 PM
For those of us less informed, what is the Early Years?

tinkerbelle75
08-11-2008, 09:53 PM
It was to be another section of PoP and included the twenties through forties I think. It was built but never finished. What it is now is a rusty-looking run-down group of buildings that need some serious TLC! Weeds have grown up around it and my husband says it looks like an abandoned shopping mall.We even noticed that they didn't even finish cutting out the 3 on 30's at the main building. Trust me, if you have a perfect image of Disney, you really don't want to see it. I had that perfect image and it broke my heart to see something at WDW look that way. :sick:

pdrlkr
08-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

yjgirl32
08-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the report. My ds5 and I are thinking of taking a long weekend trip in October and we were discussing places to stay and Pop was one of the hotels- but I think I will reconsider.