PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Horror Nights at Universal

caryrae
08-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I think I may have my wife convinced to do a Disney Vacation next year but she said she wants to go and see the Halloween Horror Nights too. I see the price this year is just over $76 do they do this like MNSSHP and you can't get in until a certain time or does that price let you in anytime?

Also when would be the best week to go, crowd wise? End of Sept - beginning Oct or later? I am leaning on going down from Sept 25th- Oct 3rd. 2009

rocket4765
08-12-2008, 01:52 PM
I think I may have my wife convinced to do a Disney Vacation next year but she said she wants to go and see the Halloween Horror Nights too. I see the price this year is just over $76 do they do this like MNSSHP and you can't get in until a certain time or does that price let you in anytime?

Also when would be the best week to go, crowd wise? End of Sept - beginning Oct or later? I am leaning on going down from Sept 26th- Oct 3rd.

When is Halloween Horror Nights?
The event nights are: September 26, 27,
October 2-5, 9-12, 16-19, 22-26, 29-31 &
November 1, 2008

Event Hours:
6:30pm - 2am on October 4, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 25, 31 & November 1
All other event nights: 6:30pm – 12am
Event operates rain or shine

Check out this page its has a video of recent years to give you an idea on the event.
halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/eventinfo.html

As for when to go when not crowded and to also save money. I would recommend going on Sept 26 & 27th because you can purchase the Frequent Fear Pass (2 Nights for the Price of one) which is good for any Wednesday, Thursday or Sunday during the Entire Event (Think of it as a Season Pass) Its $69.99 plus tax at the Offical Site
halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/event_tickets.html

Feel free to email me with any questions about HHN as we call it. I have been going every year to the event for the past 5 years

caryrae
08-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks Rocket.

I just noticed I didn't put in my OP that are trip would be in 2009. I have a trip booked for Sept 25th - Oct 3rd 2009, are the HHN pretty much the same time every year? They will have a few HHN during are dates shouldn't they? Are all or most rides open during this, kinda like the MNSSHP?

rocket4765
08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks Rocket.

I just noticed I didn't put in my OP that are trip would be in 2009. I have a trip booked for Sept 25th - Oct 3rd 2009, are the HHN pretty much the same time every year? They will have a few HHN during are dates shouldn't they? Are all or most rides open during this, kinda like the MNSSHP?

Yeah those dates will be fine,
They always start the event during the last weekend in Sept and continue to the first weekend in November.

As for rides they do have about 90% of them open during the night. On a side note the event every year is unusally in the Universal Studios park. They have had it in Islands of adventure park, but probably will not for the next few years only because they are revamping one whole section of that park to become the New Harry Potter Wizarding World Section.

Every year there is a new theme to the event. Last year 2007 was Carnival of Carnage (A demeted Carnival theme)
This year is called Reflections of Fear - (all types of fear theme). Every year also has a mascot who runs the event and has a stage show, which is fun ( about 30 minutes).

So every year has a new theme, New Shows, 8 New Haunted houses and New Scarezones.
Basically every year is new.
Check out
hhnvault.com/home.htm
and on the left pane you can see and read about the past years

Tickets usually go on sale in the middle of June on the website for that year.

Mfarquar
08-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Usually opening weekend is the last weekend in September. As many of we HHN fans dislike, Universal usually waits until May or June of the same year to announce the dates (not early like MNSSHP).

I've gone to opening weekend the past 3 years (and plan to this year as well), and we've always been safe banking on the last weekend in Sept. Usually in April you can search around online and fine the audition calls for the scare-actors, which always mention the dates before they are officially announced.

Rocket4765 gives great advice - the Frequent Scare Pass ($69.99) is the BEST value. If you go one night, you break even - the second and subsequent nights you visit are gravy! We got this pass last year b/c we were able to go the first two nights. It worked out great, and it negates the need for an Express Pass. As long as you get there early enough, you can do 1/2 each night without rushing.

I DO highly suggest that if you have tickets to a Universal park that you stick around in a holding area, which will allow you to be in the middle of the park when the event kicks off. This usually allows you to enter at least 2 haunted houses before actual opening. It saves you A LOT of time waiting online. The bad news - Universal is very disorganized and you'll probably have to ask 5-10 workers to find out where the holding area is. Don't dismay - SOMEONE will eventually know - don't believe workers who tell you that they don't think there is one - there always is!

The rides ARE open during HHNs. However, they are only open in the park where HHN is taking place. The location changes every year. In 2005, it was primarily at Islands of Adventure. In 2006 & 2007 it was at Universal Studios. There are still rumors about the location this year.

Because the haunted houses and scare zones are so popular and unique, rides like Men & Black, The Mummy, Dueling Dragons, The Hulk, and Jaws have had NO lines the past few years.

HHNs is AWESOME - my husband and I have been hooked since our first HHNs. If you love being scared witless, you'll LOVE Halloween at Universal!

Finally, always check out the website - they have TONS of interactive and hidden easter eggs with clues about the event.

caryrae
08-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys, I can't wait to go it sounds awesome. When I asked my wife about going to WDW again she brought up going when HHN was going on, so she wants to go to. Is there a newsletter or something that will e-mail me info to help remind me to buy tickets next year?

rocket4765
08-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Ask and you shall receive...

http://signup.universalstudios.com/form/256

Roo Girl
08-12-2008, 03:16 PM
We are going to be in WDW 9/20-9/28 so we're going to the HHN 9/26 and/or 9/27. I've never done HHN so I'm very excited to be scared out of my wits! No word yet on location- IoA vs Universal?

rocket4765
08-13-2008, 04:06 AM
We are going to be in WDW 9/20-9/28 so we're going to the HHN 9/26 and/or 9/27. I've never done HHN so I'm very excited to be scared out of my wits! No word yet on location- IoA vs Universal?

Location will be at Universal Studios again this year (2008)

If you do plan on going 26th & the 27th be sure to purchase the Frequent Fear Pass because you will get both of those days for the price of one. The Frequent fear pass is good for only 23 date specific days during the event. and sept 26 & 27 are both on that list

Tink1
08-17-2008, 12:25 PM
And the Stay and Scream option is the best! Like the previous poster said, you can get at least 2 houses down before it opens to the masses.

Nanc

caryrae
01-25-2009, 06:41 PM
About when will the HHN tickets go on sale for this year?

Mfarquar
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
I believe I bought mine back in early July.

They go on sale MUCH later than the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party do.

I usually start checking the website in April, just to see if there are any new developments.

There is a very specific, HHN fan website/forum that also speculates dates, etc. They usually figure out a lot of the dates based on open-casting calls that are advertised in the Orlando-area in the summer. If you want to know the site, feel free to PM me.
\

dyin tago
04-19-2009, 01:29 PM
when we do our day or 2 at universal we usually get there at park opening so we can do some rides before it gets busy.
can we enter the park at opening and stay for the horror night or do we need a seperate ticket to stay?

Mfarquar
04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
You need a separate, Halloween Horror Nights (HHN) ticket in order to be allowed to stay in the park for HHN.

When the park's regular operating hours close, they require all guests who are presently in the park with HHN tickets to go into a holding area. If you are outside the park at closing time, regardless of a day pass (let's say you went to CityWalk for dinner), you will have to wait outside with everyone else.

If you are inside the park with ticket for HHN in hand at regular park closing, there is a VIP one for HHN season ticket holders and the like. Then, there is usually one by the Irish pub in the NY area for everyone else. They scan your tickets here, and you are not allowed to stay if you don't have one.

However, as mentioned above, you can get a "Stay and Scream" ticket that will be part of your normal day park ticket purchase and save you some $$$.