PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Day Weekend (Oct 10-13)

Jarrod
08-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Who is going to the World over the holiday weekend? We have been b4 during this time and it was not crowded. . . . . BUT I tried to make a change to our ressie (thinking it would be no prob) and everything is SOLD OUT. So are there any other I-Cotees going? I don't understand the big crowd?!:confused:

gmgdisneymom
08-09-2008, 07:50 PM
We will be there from the 4th to the 12th and we have other friends going the same time. The schools here are closed the 9th for Yom Kipper the 10th for a teachers inservice day and 13th for columbus day - I guess everyone figures it is a good time to go down due the the merger of all of the holidays

momofdisneyprincess
08-09-2008, 08:52 PM
We will also be there from the 4th - 13th. We usually go during this time and have not had a problem with the crowds but your original post makes me nervous.:confused:

Hayden's Dad
08-11-2008, 10:50 AM
We'll be down there the 6th -13th for Hayden's MAW trip. :thumbsup:

ttccluvsdis
08-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I will be there the 10th through the 19th.

Traci

BraddyB
08-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I will be there Oct 6 - 13. Made ADR's back in June and couldnt get dinner res @ Coral Reef or Le Cellier...........Everything else I didnt have a problem with.

Polynesian Dweller
08-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Who is going to the World over the holiday weekend? We have been b4 during this time and it was not crowded. . . . . BUT I tried to make a change to our ressie (thinking it would be no prob) and everything is SOLD OUT. So are there any other I-Cotees going? I don't understand the big crowd?!:confused:
Some of your ressie problem can be with the particular restaurants you are trying. Some are very popular and also small so hard to get into. The real advice is to keep trying since there can be cancellations between now and then.

It is a busy weekend though because of the holidays that come together. Its Columbus Day and also Canada's Thanksgiving Day weekend which makes it a popular times for those of us from the north to come for a vacation.

Gregandmel
08-11-2008, 01:15 PM
We'll be there the 5th - 11th. I'm not "too" concerned about horrible crowds, but I'd imagine that starting Thursday (the 9th) it will start to pick up due to the upcoming long weekend. Where were your ressies at? Maybe the place was a very popular place?? If it was somewhere at Epcot, maybe the Food & Wine festival has brought a lot of add'l people out there, or if it was a Sat or Sun they are just busier than usual. There will always be the places that are tough to get in (like le Cellier) Good luck and I hope you can find an alternate place!

joonyer
08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
We've been before through the Columbus Day weekend (and will be again this year) and found that the crowds are nothing much to be concerned about. They were much, much less than Memorial Day weekend or any of the summer months. We really enjoyed going in October, it's plenty warm enough to swim, but not so blistering hot and humid. It's our favorite time to visit WDW, plus there's Mickey's Halloween Party at MK, which is great!

thrillme
08-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Congratulations. Now "I'm" scared. :(

The first time I've ever been in October and the fist time I've ever taken my DS out of school for a couple of days and it's going to be packed? :confused:

I figured it would have a bit more of a crowd than during the rest of October because of the holiday but...:fit:

I've already got my reservations but out of curiousity I checked Animal Kingdom Lodge yesterday and there were no rooms available for my dates Oct 8-13th. I'm so blue now:(.

We usually always go in July and it's pretty packed...now it almost sounds like it's going to be worse.:cry:

thrillme
08-13-2008, 03:30 PM
I just had a thought...If you're looking for a place to stay you might try adjusting your days (splitting) between two hotels. It may be a bit of a pain to pack and move but...sometimes hotels have one of the days you want booked and the rest are open. I've heard a couple of rumors in other posts that there may be a "glitch" right now.

I'm still scared. I can't believe it's going to be "wall to wall" people in October. Even in the summer everything doesn't sell out.:confused::(

I'm even more afraid that if it turns out to be even more crowded that July, it may be our last trip. :( I was hoping by going in October it would be a little easier than the summer battle (July is manageable but I'd really like something better than "manageable" for a change).

I believe I saw that Pop Warner is in December?

SurferStitch
08-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Just relaaaaaaaaaaaax.

Just because some hotels are sold out, doesn't mean they are filled to capacity. During slower times some sections are closed down, and not available for reservations.

As for ADR's, it's no surprise that some aren't available at popular places. Even in March when it wasn't busy at all, the popular TS places were booked solid (I know....I couldn't get dinner at Le Cellier at least 3 months in advance up through the day of, so had lunch instead). Even the not-so-popular places were packed, so you can't go by ADR's when estimating park attendance.

October is by no means like it used to be. It's busy and crowded at times, but nothing like summer crowds. We actually stopped going in October after our 2005 trip because the crowds were so bad, but we had a change of heart and are giving it a shot this year (10/12-24).