PDA

View Full Version : Last respects to PI

BellewanaB
08-09-2008, 12:34 AM
To everyone saddened by the closure announcements (yes, it took me six weeks to get though my grieving process) I invite you to join me in reliving your fond memories of Pleasure Island...one last time.

WDWCP- Everyone went to PI on Thursday nights. The $6/hour pay limited our entertainment choices but on cast nights it was free and so were our spirits-throbbing rhythms, brand new lifelong friends and a chance to wear your favorite heels until you had to carry them home with your satisfied heart. No drugs, not even alcohol for myself, just the carefree joy of not worrying about the downtown dealers or the shootings in City Walk parking. I felt as if Walt was a distant father keeping us safe as we explored our entry into adulthood.

I'm finally old enough to enter Mannequins! Too bad I have vertigo-but I still had to see the revolving dance floor with my own two eyes!

I have easily visited PI over 5-6 dozen times without ever being a FL resident. Yet every visit afforded me at least one show at the CW. My favorite fireworks are Illuminations and it is no coincidence that Mary Hunt was always my favorite improv artist. Mary, even on the rare occasion of you dancing dangerously close to the crowd yelling "die" we all still lingered, waiting for more. Your sumptuous, engaging voice clearly passed down from multiple past lives as elite storytellers, you could have been reading the drink menu and had us hypnotized.

My first night with the new "open door" policy to accompanied minors. Oh, my dear AC and your pilot. Well after midnight you spoke passionately on stage of your love lost, using your masculinity to brush it off by stating you didn't give a "d**n". Before you could resume from your dramatic pause, a distinct 9 year old voice pierced though the crowd to declare with shock "He said 'd**'!" Hilarity ensued, though you were generous in withstanding it and even acknowledging it with a smirk. Even you know never to work with animals or children-or even IN places that now allow the entry of children. From that night on I knew my island would never be the same.

Open concept, dwindling attendance, now the beach club is closed!?! I always hoped you'd make rollerskating cool again!?!

I still held tightly on to my 70's Disco(now 80's) club- the night we were packed and sweaty without a care in the world. The last song of the night was Living on a Prayer and the wise and all knowing DJ muted right after 'oh, we're half way there' to which every single soul instinctively replied 'oh-oh, living on a prayer!' as if, at that moment, we were each the lead singer of a rock band, the star of that night.

We've gotta hold on, ready or not...

Disney, what's next?