PDA

View Full Version : Second guessing decision to stay at CBR. Help!!

mkymouse0206
08-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Okay, we have only stayed at the Wilderness Lodge when we go to Disney. For this next trip we decided we wanted to try some place new. Going up is not an option so don't even suggest I try the Poly. :sad: DH has no interest at all in the AKL so we can rule that one out too. We decided to try a moderate resort this time. My ds (13) and dd (9) saw the plans for the new pirate room at CBR. They got very excited and with the new pool rehab asked if we could stay there. I booked a pirate room for next July. :pirate: Now I am getting concerned. I keep reading all these negative reviews about the CBR and really negative things about trinadad south where the pirate rooms are located. So many people seem to choose POR or CSR over CBR. Should I rethink my decision? I thought with everything being refurbished we could look forward to nice, fresh rooms and a great new pool. Will the negatives still out weigh the new positives? :confused: Come on guys...give me your feedback.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm puzzled. I keep seeing many positive reviews of CBR. Personally, I've considered both of the other moderates, and still keep coming back to the Caribbean.I really don't think you'll be disappointed. We've thoroughly enjoyed it, and can't wait to stay in the pirate rooms! :pirate::yes:

Camping Mom
08-09-2008, 01:44 AM
It's funny how you can have 100 people stay in the same place and half will be thrilled with how things went and the other half will not be.

We stayed in CB last January for the first time while on a business trip. I, too, had read all about the state of the rooms, the ants coming in, the noise, etc....WE LOVED IT! Other than the first day we were there we watched the Giants beat the Cowboys and we were bummed! : ) The room was spacious, clean, quiet, and so colorful.

I guess if anything goes wrong, just keep a smile and a good nature about you as you try to get it fixed. Some of the posts sound like people got awfully hot tempered pretty quick. Sure, it's Disney and we want PERFECT, but sometimes it just ain't so.

Go and have a great time...I am sure your kids will love the redecorated rooms.

DizneyRox
08-09-2008, 04:49 AM
That's too bad about AKL, it's by far the best resort in WDW in my opinion. Designed by the same person who did WL I think, fantastic themeing, pool area is great, gift shop is second to none, and transportation has always been A #1 for us.

CBR is nice too I guess... It would be my choice for a moderate, especially over Coronado Springs.

kathiep
08-09-2008, 11:37 AM
We've stayed at both CBR & CSR. We stayed at CBR first and when we were waiting for our CSR trip, all we heard/saw were negative comments about CSR.

I'll simply say that both resorts are nice. We had wonderful stays at both.

Both have pros and and minor cons, like all resorts.

I think if you're kids are excited about the pirate rooms, you will have a wonderful stay.

brewcrew26
08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I was like you and very apprehensive about our choice for CBR during our honeymoon. But, then we stayed and I loved it! While I still love the PO resorts as my favorite moderates, I would go back to CBR again in a heartbeat if it were the only option.

Try not to let all the bad opinions get to you. People who have had a bad experience at 20x more willing to tell about that bad experience and make sure everyone knows about because they want to make sure it doesn't happen again. I just wish more people with great experiences would share those stories, too.

Yes, there were downfalls to our stay, like the small check-in area at the Custom House and the lack of a good sit-down dining option, but the ambience, the room size, and the CMs all made up for everything else.

It really makes planning stressful when there are so many websites out there that are constantly bombarded with negative reviews after negative reviews. If there is something in particular that you would like to know, please feel free to PM me. I don't think you made a bad decision at all. :mickey:

Mousemates
08-09-2008, 04:39 PM
WE stayed at CBR this past June and really enjoyed our stay....I bet you will too.

Gator
08-09-2008, 05:20 PM
You won't be disappointed. It's great there. The only bad moderate rooms are in the Alligator Bayou at POR, IMHO. All other mod rooms are great.

MuchLovedMama
08-09-2008, 06:51 PM
My hubby & I stayed there in 2008 in Trinidad South & we weren't thrilled. That was our first & what we thought would be our last Disney hotel. We thought it seemed run down but we're a bit picky. Seems like people either love it or really dislike it. I'd be curious to see if you put a poll up that said CBR: Love it, Like it, Dislike it, Hate it & see what the results would be.

CleveRocks
08-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Love CBR. Stayed there twice, loved it both times.

You could put up a poll and ask what people think about chocolate ice cream and get a lot of negative reviews, too! Those negatove reviews shouldn't convince you that chocolate ice cream is no good ....:mickey:

rkwctw
08-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Stayed at CBR on our honeymoon and then later with kids. By far, PO is our favorite moderate.

KatMark
08-09-2008, 10:06 PM
We've never stayed at the CBR and have had no desire to. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, we just LOVE the CSR and the CBR doesn't appeal to us--theme wise and we did not like the food court when we ate there two years ago. Look at the pictures of the resort, look at what they offer. And just remember wherever you end up staying, you are STILL AT DISNEY!

disneydeb
08-09-2008, 10:09 PM
We stayed there once and have not returned. No elevators are a bummer and I don't care for large resorts.

I could be talked into going back to stay in a pirate room though :thumbsup: My hubby adds. "if it were on the first floor."

mkymouse0206
08-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Thank you so much guys!!:thanks: I am feeling so much better about my choice. You are all absolutley right...if the kids are excited about the new rooms then they will be thrilled when they get there. And of course no matter what we will be at Disney! :pixie: I am going to quite reading so much into the negative comments and focus on the good stuff. Now I can start worrying about where to eat. :scratch: Thanks again, you guys are the best!! :rocks:

jonahbear2006
08-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Try to remember that in a lot of cases, people only comment on things if they are negative. It takes an outstanding performance to make someone want to comment on the positive experience, so you are probably seeing an uneven review due to the lack of responses from the happy guests. I try to remember this with all reviews, because my husband works in Customer Service and we understand how little you get rewarded by positive feedback.

kemps@wdw
08-10-2008, 11:13 PM
I can't say anything bad about CBR. We've stayed there several times and have always had a good experience. Didn't have the Pirate room as an option back then, but would have gotten it if we could've. The overall CBR atmosphere is wonderful. (loved the talking trash cans), the main pool area ROCKS, but I liked the fact that each "village" has it's own private pool area, which we usually had to ourselves, and was right next to the laundry room, so we could wash and swim. I would recommend CBR to anyone looking to stay in a moderate resort.:thumbsup:

GoldenDreams
08-11-2008, 12:51 AM
We stayed at the CBR last year and really enjoyed it. I don't think anyone has mentioned the beach. That was a big hit for our family. We would go down at night and my son would play in the sand and hammocks while one of us went to get snacks or drinks at the food court. We usually ended up chatting with other people who were doing the same thing and it was very relaxing. We had no problem with the rooms -- we found them to be exactly like POFQ which is our favorite resort. I hope you enjoy it!

fab4nczc
08-12-2008, 05:01 PM
We have stayed at the CBR and loved it. It had such a wonderful tropical feeling, from the decor to the music and the bright beautiful colors. We never have had a bad thing to say about the place. We stayed in Jamaica so I don't know much about Trinidad south. As we are planning our next trip Sept 08 at POR we know no matter which building you stay at you are going to have to walk somewhere. Relax and enjoy this beautiful resort. We did.:mickey: