PDA

View Full Version : Disney to remove McDonald's spots from California theme park

Melanie
08-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Disney to remove McDonald's spots from California theme park

Los Angeles Times
August 7, 2008

Walt Disney Co. is eliminating McDonald's Corp. fast-food restaurants at its Disneyland resort.

Three McDonald's locations at the Anaheim park will close Sept. 2 as part of planned refurbishments, Disneyland spokeswoman Lisa Haines said today.

Disney, seeking to promote healthier eating habits among children, said in 2006 it would license its characters to sell fruits and vegetables. The company also has stopped promoting its films with Happy Meals from Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's. Disney said in 2006 it would remove foods containing so-called transfats, an artery-clogging ingredient now banned in New York City, from its theme parks by the end of 2007.

"We are considering a number of concepts that will offer our guests a wide variety of food options," Haines said. "Disney's parks continue to have a relationship with McDonald's."

McDonald's spokesman William Whitman confirmed the Disneyland outlets will close. Walt Disney World, near Orlando, Fla., will continue to operate three restaurants that serve McDonald's burgers and fries, Haines and Whitman said.

Kid's meals at fast-food restaurants including McDonald's are too high in calories and fat, the Washington-based Center for Science in the Public Interest said in a report this week.

I'm drawing a blank. Where are the 3 spots? :confused:

Aisling
08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
There's one in DCA back by Mulholland Madness. In DL, I know of the stand that sells french fries near Big Thunder Mountain, but the third I'm not sure of - for some reason Toon Town sounds familiar, but I could be wrong.

Mufasa
08-07-2008, 08:55 PM
The 3 locations are the Harbour Galley (Critter Country) and Westward Ho wagon (Frontierland) in Disneyland- both basically serve fries and Burger Invasion in DCA.

Also at DCA, McDonald's sponsored the SS Rustworthy

Maleficent's Dad
08-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Mufasa beat me to the punch...

The three locations:
DLP:
Harbour Galley in Critter Country serves McDonald's French Fries.
Conestoga Fries in Frontierland also serves the French Fries.

DCA:
Burger Invasion on Paradise Pier has a more extensive McDonald's menu, much closer to the real thing.

gwfx1031
08-08-2008, 05:21 PM
The quote at the bottom of your signature pretty much sums up my feelings on the article. I certainly do not mind the McDonalds at Downtown Disney or the one near the AS hotels. They make sense there and do not distract from the surroundings, but i just hated the locations inside the parks.

lindique
08-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I heard this story on CBS radio while I was driving home from work this afternoon. The announcer said that Disney didn't give the reason for the closures other than to say it was not for "healthier food" reasons. (I hope I heard that correctly.) So I wonder what the real reason was.

NotaGeek
08-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Could it possibly be because Disney doesn't want to pay the fees to use McDonald's products (or vice versa) anymore? I vote is has to do with :spend:

tinkwest
08-09-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't care what the reason for the change is. All I can say is "HURRAY!!"

I was always amazed at the number of people lined up at the French Fry Wagon near the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad exit. I hope they don't shut down the wagon completely, but offer something different and tasty.

ktflisa
08-09-2008, 10:42 AM
While I don't eat much fast food at home - it is kind of a fun tradition for my dh and to stop at "Petri-fries" on the way to Countdown to Extinction--er Dinosaur, at Animal Kingdom. It literally is the only time we eat McDonald's fries. Whilest they are BAD for you, they taste sooooo good! :D

I'm with NotaGeek - I'm sure it's all about business and money, not necessarily health. I'll check out these locations in December when we are in Disneyland! yay!!:mickey:

NotaGeek
08-09-2008, 12:34 PM
While I don't eat much fast food at home - it is kind of a fun tradition for my dh and to stop at "Petri-fries" on the way to Countdown to Extinction--er Dinosaur, at Animal Kingdom. It literally is the only time we eat McDonald's fries. Whilest they are BAD for you, they taste sooooo good! :D

I'm with NotaGeek - I'm sure it's all about business and money, not necessarily health. I'll check out these locations in December when we are in Disneyland! yay!!:mickey:

There is no mention of WDW in the article, so maybe it's just Disneyland?

lindique
08-09-2008, 07:15 PM
There is no mention of WDW in the article, so maybe it's just Disneyland?
I read today on one of the cable new sites (starts with M and ends with C) that it's only the Disneyland McDonalds that are closing and that the WDW locations would remain open. They also mentioned that the movie partnership (I assume they are talking about Happy Meal toys here) with McDonalds ended in 2006. So they must be phasing out other aspects of their relationship now. I bet the WDW McDonalds have a longer contract since they invested quite a bit of money in building actual restaurants (not just carts).

MegaDisney
08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
I enjoyed getting some Micky D's fries at the park occasionally. I have only eaten at the Burger Invasion location once.

While I am not sad to see them go, I am also not excited, to me this is kinda a non-issue...

DoomBuggyDude
08-13-2008, 12:19 AM
There's always the McD's right
across the street on Harbor.

and only a 20% mark-up.

;)

Mufasa
08-13-2008, 12:58 AM
In addition to the removal of McDonald's from DLR, you will also notice Nestle's sponsorship disappearing from the resort- the signage has already changed at the French Market (no longer sponsored by Stouffers- a Nestle brand) and other changes around the resort, but I don't think it will affect the naming of places like the Carnation Cafe because of their historical significance at Disneyland, even without sponsorship.

Although, it makes me wonder if this means DLR bringing back Fantasia ice cream without Nestle, or who will step in to provide the new coffee (yay, no more Nescafe!)

NotaGeek
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
In addition to the removal of McDonald's from DLR, you will also notice Nestle's sponsorship disappearing from the resort- the signage has already changed at the French Market (no longer sponsored by Stouffers- a Nestle brand) and other changes around the resort, but I don't think it will affect the naming of places like the Carnation Cafe because of their historical significance at Disneyland, even without sponsorship.

Although, it makes me wonder if this means DLR bringing back Fantasia ice cream without Nestle, or who will step in to provide the new coffee (yay, no more Nescafe!)

OMG ... no more Nescafe? Don't tell me the 1970's are finally over? :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
08-13-2008, 03:27 PM
I have never bought any of the McD's fries at Disneyland, so I don't mind in the least if they close down the stands. They could do the same at WDW too. ;)

And, Mufasa, I'm with you on the Nescafe Coffee. :yay:

Chescat
08-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I was wondering why the menu at the French Market. Went a couple weeks ago. Not so sure I like the new menu. Maybe since I've been used to the same thing for so long. :blush:

LuvsTigger80
08-15-2008, 12:33 AM
not really concerned either way, though i have to say that they were definitely the cleanest mcdonald's in the area. (saw them scrubbing the floor while we were doing contract work for disney- they really get it clean!) They do the same in all the other places too.

(hubby writing on wife's name. just couldnt resist.)