PDA

View Full Version : California Grill Review

JavaDuck
08-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I and my partner ate at the California Grill on Saturday, August 2. We had an ADR for 9pm.

Food- 4 1/2 stars out of 5

This was the 2nd best meal of our week long trip. I and my partner both had the fillet of beef. It was very tender and tasted great. My highlight of the night though was the Tuna 3 ways platter I had. The tuna tartae was amazing. I really enjoyed it. I wish they had that on the menu by itself The desserts were great as well. I had the dessert with bananas. It was great, I enjoyed it a lot. My partner had the chocolate lava cake with apricot ice cream. He liked the cake, but did not care for the ice cream.

Service- 3 stars out of 5

We sat at the sushi counter. Our server was very pleasant and friendly, however at times she seem to just disappear. Servers that brought our food more than once had our dishes reversed. My partner would get my plate and he would get mine.

Ambiance- 3 1/2 stars out of 5

The view from the restaurant is great. The noise level is high. If you are looking for a quiet dinner, this is definitely not the place for you. We were there right before the fireworks, leading up to the fireworks the restaurant becomes very crowded. Right after the fireworks, the noise level and crowd level drops dramatically. The dress code does not seem to be enforced. We were dressed in khakis and nice polos and seemed almost too dressed up compared to others. There were many people in t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops.

Overall, we had a great dinner. We plan to come here again on our next trip. The highlight of the evening was talking to Yoshie. She is funny and talked to us off and on throughout the night. I enjoyed watching her make all the beautiful sushi platters.

Beast_fanatic
08-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the review! I do hate it when my server disappears!

Crow
08-09-2008, 06:29 PM
thanks!
Ill be there in a few wks again. Ive been there a few times at tables, but wonder if I should sit at the sushi counter?
then i have to pick;sushi & FLatbread?
I think they have been better than the entrees.
but will see when I get there

JavaDuck
08-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I highly recommend the sushi. I could have easily had more sushi instead of dessert. Again, Yoshie was a pleasure to talk with. Definitely a highlight of the trip.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-11-2008, 11:48 AM
We may try this one next trip

A Mouse Fan
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Thank you for the review. My DH and I are trying out the Calif. Grille for the first time in November and I am really looking forward to it!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks for sharing your review.

Just wondering - what was your first best meal?

mrsgaribaldi
08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm glad that you liked it. It's one of our favorite places. I love the food. We usually eat here when we are celebrating a birthday or a special event.
A Mouse Fan, make sure you bring a sweater or jacket if you are planning on watching the fireworks outside. It can be really cold and windy outside on the deck. I absolutely love snuggling with DH and watching the fireworks. I like it better than watching in the park:mickey:

JavaDuck
08-11-2008, 10:30 PM
In response to an earlier poster, our #1 meal was at Le Cellier. See my post for all the details. It was an amazing meal.

SBETigg
08-11-2008, 10:38 PM
The California Grill is our favorite WDW restaurant. It really wasn't noisy when we were there, but I've heard of it being noisy. I love the views, and yes, the sushi. Thanks for your review.