PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a stroller

disneywith3boys
08-08-2008, 02:48 PM
We are flying for the first time to WDW with 3 small kids. I've never flown with a stroller before...how does it work, does it cost extra to fly with one?

LittleRoosMommy
08-08-2008, 03:02 PM
We've flown several times with our kids, 1 & 4. We have never had any trouble at all. You just bring your stroller through security to the gate and check it there when you get on the plane. When you get to the gate, make sure you check in at the desk to get a claim ticket. You take the stroller all the way down to the plane and they will take it then and stow it below the plane. When you arrive at MCO, it will be waiting for you on the jetway when you get off the plane. We have flown Southwest and United and have not been charged for it. Also, it does not count as a carry on! Hope this helps! Have a great trip!!:mickey:

faline
08-08-2008, 03:03 PM
With a stroller, you bring your stroller right to the gate of the plane with you. Be sure to let someone at the desk know you need to gate check your stroller and they will tag it for you. You wheel it right up to the door of the plane where they will take your stroller and put it in the hold. When you disembark, they will bring your stroller right back to the door of the plane where you'll pick it up.

I don't know if any airlines have imposed an extra fee for strollers. You may want to check with your airline.

kwhitt3202
08-08-2008, 05:29 PM
we have done as othera have said and had no prolbem.
With the new policys the airline are implementing I would call the airline you are using to see if there are any fees etc...

eandrsmom
08-09-2008, 12:15 AM
We had no problems last Feb. with our double stroller. We flew Continental and checked it at the gate. Security was kind of a pain, b/c you have to take them out of the stroller, fold it so that it goes through x-ray, take their shoes off, walk them through, then try and get everything back in order while people wait in line behind you. Kind of a pain, but worth having the stroller in the terminal.

disneyboundagain
08-09-2008, 02:57 PM
We just did it for the first time this past June with our double stroller. It worked very smoothly, just as the previous posts have stated. I would suggest, however, that you remove anything from the stroller that is not permanently attached. The cup holders on ours are removable, which makes it very nice to clean them. It also makes them very easy to get lost when the stroller is checked at the gate. When we received our stroller back, one was missing. The crew was very helpful in trying to find it, but they didn't have any luck.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-09-2008, 07:40 PM
We've also traveled and flown with a double stroller. Things proceeded just as everyone has said. Just be sure to get the stroller tagged at the desk. Good luck with your trip!

Disney Doll
08-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Just a quick tip. We purchased a gate check stroller bag which I love because it keeps the stroller clean. I've seen them online at several different baby stores. Things tend to get kind of banged around and scuffed up in the cargo hold. Having my stroller in a bag helps keep it looking new.

Belster
08-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the stroller bag tip. I have a question; what if my stroller is too big to fit on that conveyer xray machine? Can it just be run through the metal detector?

jonahbear2006
08-11-2008, 11:51 PM
another stroller question. I have 4 kids. 8,6,4, 1. If I take a stroller and my husband takes a stroller, can we both get one on the plane without a charge? I dont have a double and hate to have to buy one since we have 3 strollers at home already!

Ed
08-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the stroller bag tip. I have a question; what if my stroller is too big to fit on that conveyer xray machine? Can it just be run through the metal detector?

No. If it won't fit through the x-ray, the TSA officers will manually check it.

another stroller question. I have 4 kids. 8,6,4, 1. If I take a stroller and my husband takes a stroller, can we both get one on the plane without a charge? I dont have a double and hate to have to buy one since we have 3 strollers at home already!

Shouldn't be a problem. It's very common to see families with two strollers at MCO.

jonahbear2006
08-13-2008, 12:51 PM
I called the airline, southwest, and their answer was, each person can check a 50lb bag and an extra item, so technically each child could check a 50lb bag and a stroller if we wanted them to. We, won't do THAT, but we will take 2 strollers to avoid the rental fee! Yay! Can't wait!!

prshell
08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
We went in February with a 4, 3, and 15 mo. old and had 3 strollers. It was a lot easier getting through the airports with the little ones, and it was REALLY nice not having to pay that stroller rental!

KAT1811
08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
We also travel with our double stroller. We used to check our stroller before I found out that we could bring it to the gate and they would gate check it for us. The only thin gi am not sure that anyone mentioned is that you need to also empty the stroller at the gate and fold it. They will not fold it for you. Bringing the stroller to the gate is a life saver. Even if the children do not sit in the stroler it is great to carry all of the bags in. Good luck.

disneywith3boys
08-15-2008, 11:59 AM
We are flying Northwest out of Minneapolis and a AAA travel agent told us that the luggage policy changed again for most airlines in the last couple of weeks...now you must pay for your first bag and a stroller is considered a second bag (or so she thought)....so it would be over $100 to pay to fly with a stroller..

Has anyone booked a flight recently or flown to know if this stroller fee is true??

KAT1811
08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
...now you must pay for your first bag and a stroller is considered a second bag (or so she thought)....so it would be over $100 to pay to fly with a stroller..

Wouldn't that only apply if you were checking the stroller with your checked bags? I know that previously the stroller never counted towards our checked bag limits as long as we brought it to the gate with us. (We each typically travel with two bags) If we checked it with tht luggage it would have counted as a checked bag. I'd call NW and verify that a stroller taken all the way to the gate does not carry a fee.