PDA

View Full Version : Magic Express

Ksmith75
08-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Can someone let me know if the Magic Express is convenient. We have been to Disney the past 2 years and have always rented a car. (It is just my husband and me) We go for about 10 nights and the past 2 years our rental cars have only been about $150. The best rate we can get for next april for 10 days is $300!!!! So we are thinking of just doing the magic express...we are not going off property this year anywhere...

Disney Doll
08-08-2008, 01:06 PM
We really like ME. It's nice not to have to worry about finding my way around. I like being able to sit back and let someone else do the driving. I also really appreciate not having to get my own luggage. This next trip we are bring our baby for the first time which means I'll be toting my carry on, a diaper bag, the baby, and a stroller. It's going to be a lifesaver knowing that Disney is taking care of my checked baggage. We have always used Disney transportation to get from the resort to the parks and I find that just as convenient. I just feel like driving is kind of a chore especially in unfamiliar territory. I feel more like I'm on vacation if I don't have to worry about it.

thumperbug
08-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Use DME, you won't be sorry. What is better then getting off a plane at Orlando, getting on a coach bus and heading right off to your resort without having to worry about waiting for your luggage and dragging it with you.

Make sure to pack essentials you would need prior to seeing your luggage at the hotel so you can start your fun right away.

We also pack a change of clothes and what we need for the first day. Once we check in, change and leave our carry on with bell services we take off right away to the parks knowing we wasted no time and our luggage will arrive on its own.

crazypoohbear
08-08-2008, 01:56 PM
You will like ME. It's great getting right on the bus and out of the airport without worry.
IF you decide you don't want to wait in the bus lines at the hotel to get to the parks you can always look into renting a car at the car care center and then return it before taking ME back to the airport

disneymom15
08-08-2008, 02:05 PM
We've used DME since the beginning. You can't beat it. Use the money saved for a nice dinner or two.

vicster
08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
We've used ME since they came out with it and no problems whatsoever!

Cheloconnell
08-08-2008, 02:18 PM
We started renting a car a little over a year ago and will never go back to DME. We like the freedom to come and go whenever we want. When you stay at a Disney resort it is free to park at any of the parks. We hated waiting in line for 20-40 minutes at each park and the crowds at some of the resorts. Packed buses with no where to sit and those crazy bus drivers - hanging on for dear life - not my cup of tea with 2 kids in tow. Plus if you have a stroller you need to fold it down. God forbid one of the kids are sleeping and you bought stuff and you have a diaper bag. No one is helpful and are more annoyed then anything. I always felt I needed a stop watch to prepare for the bus and forget when the park closes - what a nightmare - cranky crying children, annoyed smelly adults :sick: - just the thought is giving me the jitters. It may be okay when you first arrive at the airport, but then again, if you don't catch it right you could wait a hour at the airport before you could leave. Just my two cents, but we can't stand it and we are more than willing to pay the $175 or so. I can't believe you couldn't find anything cheaper for April. That makes me worry since we are booked for then as well. I will have to go check. Alamo is the cheapest and you can usually find discount codes if you search for them. Good luck with whatever you decide :mickey:

bruin1344
08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
ive had all decent experiences with ME so far, i rarely leave the property so i dont have a need to rent a car

ASweetLov
08-08-2008, 10:53 PM
I love the magical Express, I think its extremelly convenient

Disney Lynn
08-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Keep looking for rental codes! DME is an OK option if you can't find a decently priced rental ($300 is not decent for us!). DH & I prefer having a car, but we have used DME and the WDW bus service to the parks. You'll eventually get where you want to go- but by the end of a 10 day visit, you'll wish you had a car. I love Cheloconnell's post- my sentiments exactly!

Nascfan
08-09-2008, 07:57 PM
DME is more than convenient, it's the only way to travel! One of the best reasons is it's free! Well, everyone pays a small portion of it anyways, in room rates or whatever, but if you don't use it, you're wasting your money, especially if you do not plan to travel off-site. No baggage claim at the airport, no lugging bags through the resort to get to your room, it's fantastic. :thumbsup:

AmandaChan
08-09-2008, 08:20 PM
If you are only going to be spending your trip at Disney then it is VERY convenient. As soon as we get off the plane we go to the floor that they Disney welcome center is on (it's really easy to find in the airport). We MAYBE waited 5 minutes for the bus last time but I'm not sure that is the standard/average wait time.

In the mail they send you stickers to put on your luggage so they can send it to your hotel and you don't have to worry about it. I don't know why but I can stand the idea that my stuff is being sent to the hotel separate from me SO my husband and I always just pick it up at baggage claim and the bus driver usually puts it on the bus while we're loading. We never bring more than one large bag and a couple carry bags we keep in our laps so I don't feel so bad about doing it that way.

Then they take you pretty much straight to the hotel from there. They'll likely stop at a couple other hotels to drop off other people but it really doesn't take that long.

Then the day before you leave they leave an envelope on your door for what time you need to be back to the front of the hotel to be picked up by the bus. The same process occurs.

My husband and I never rent a car -- it's expensive + the gas money + you have to pay to park at the parks (wait, I guess you might get that for free anyways) it's just WAY TOO MUCH MONEY WHEN YOU CAN GET SHUTTLED FOR FREE.