PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Cabins or Pop Music Suites??

Minnie's Northern Friend
08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Which would you choose and why??

Thanks!!
~Laura

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-07-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't think Pop has suites, only All Stars....I would try the Wilderness cabins just because you get that homey feel with all the Disney perks....but either will be great

Minnie's Northern Friend
08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
"Subject to availability, a cabin at Fort Wilderness for those 9 nights with the basic dining plan and 8 day passes (hopping and water parks) would be $6666.35. You could also fit into a family suite at the AS Music for $5854.55 for the same package"

Other than the price... What would be your reasons for choosing one over the other... We are really leaning towards cabins... but just aren't sure if it's worth the extra money...

bigbabyblues
08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
How many people in your party? The suite at ASMusic has two bathrooms, if I remember right. The cabins have only one.

MrsAndre
08-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Are there young children in your party?
I think little ones would like the theming and the pools at ASMu better.
Also, I believe that I've read that the food court at ASMu stays open long than the food options at Fort Wilderness.
We're thinking about Wilderness Cabins, but not until our girls are older...and the pool rehab is completed.
I guess my answer is - if we were going tomorrow we'd pick the ASMusic Family Suite.

Pirate Granny
08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Wilderness Cabin Advantage...full kitchen and frig...but need bus to get anywhere inside of the campgrounds if you aren't driving...you have the dining plan, so you won't be doing much cooking...perhaps for breakfast.
All Stars...the pool is right outside your door (where the suites are located)...food court isn't too far away either...LOTS of kids if your kids like to play with others...
Two very different atmosphere's...we've been to both (not in the suites, but to the All Stars)...we needed the living area in the Cabins...we had the two DD in the double bed and the third DD in the top bunk and gramps in the bottom bunk that was in the bedroom of the Cabins...that left hubby and I in the murphy bed in the living room...I know that we couldn't all fit in the Suites...as gramps needed his own bed...and we had 3DD that required beds...
You will enjoy your trip where-ever you stay...Disney memories are the best memories.
:pirate:

TammiMcMan
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
FW is lacking for the pool themes, but they have some fun family activities, like the petting farm, hayrides, nightly movies including a campfire sing along with Chip & Dale, water sports, Wishes view from the beach, Electric Water Parade view from the beach, fishing, canoeing, bike riding.

As others have mentioned, the cabins have only 1 bathroom, but a full kitchen. Bunkbeds in the back bedroom means that mom & dad can sit in the living room during nap time or the kids going to bed early. Having the deck is nice too.

Your a boat ride from the MK, but it is a bit spread out and you either need to take the internal bus or budget a little more money to rent a golf cart.

Personally, I would stay in the cabin. I like the proximity to the MK and for my family, water is water and not having a pool theme isn't a big issue for us. For what it's worth though, we've stayed in FW a number of times and really enjoy the woodsy, relaxed feeling.

Minnie's Northern Friend
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Our family consists of 2 adults and 5 children... 13, 11, 11, 4, and 1...

What are the considerations based on age??

Minnie's Northern Friend
08-07-2008, 08:38 PM
You guys are really great with all the advice... Keep it coming!!

Thanks!!

MrsAndre
08-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I think with 5 children, and that they're older (and larger :) ) You might be more comfortable with the beds in the Fort Wilderness Cabins.
I'm not sure if the pull outs at All Stars would be big enough for your children to sleep comfortably.

princessesmom
08-07-2008, 09:24 PM
We stay in the FW cabins and will be there in February again. We are a family of 6 - dd 12; dd 10; ds 7; and dd 4. They sleep six, but you will be able to have 7 there since your youngest is under 3. There is a pack and play in the hall closet which you can fit in the back bedroom. It will be a bit tight, but it will work. We put the kids in the back and my husband and I take the murphy bed.

The advantages are:
1. You are close to MK, some people complain about the buses but we have never had a problem and have never rented a golf cart.
2. You have a full kitchen. We don't normally cook meals, but we do have breakfast there most mornings which saves loads of time and money. We get toaster waffles, cereal, fruit, milk, bread for toast, english muffins. We also stock up on snacks and water.
3. You can put all the kids in the bedroom and you and your husband can hang out in the front room. There are two tv's which is nice also. If you put the baby down for a nap, you have the front room and deck to hang out for the rest of you during the day.
4. It is very quiet, you are not sharing walls with anyone.

The only disadvantage is that the pool is nothing special, but my kids have never complained. And there is only 1 bathroom. We only have one bathroom on the second floor of our house, so we're sort of use to that anyway. Everyone knows they have to be quick! There is a counter with a mirror in the back bedroom which can be used to do makeup/hair.

Good luck!

Mousemates
08-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Princessesmom: The only disadvantage is that the pool is nothing special, but my kids have never complained.

Princessesmom, My kids never complain about the difference between a themed pool or unthemed pool either... thou DS does like a slide.

And Minnies Northern Friend I saw something you might want to note on the pool, depending on when you are going this might make a difference....but the main pool/pools(?) at FWR is due for a major rehab (Slide, etc).

So if you are going after the rehab date then you would likely have a much better pool area (again my son loves the longer slides this usually involves).

however, if you are going during the rehab dates...then you might end up with more guests sharing which ever pool is not under construction.

This was from an announcement in the rumours sections of intercot and the name of the announcement was:

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground Gets a Facelift

And this is the link:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=129164&highlight=fort+wilderness+pool

diz_girl
08-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I haven't stayed at either resort, but I'd pick the FW cabins. Although you get one fewer bathroom, you get a full kitchen and DR, a grill and picnic table. THere are no loud neighbors slamming doors or yelling down the halls. You get the Electric Water Pageant at night, as well as Trail's End Buffet, and then there's the campfire and sing-a-long every night. Most importantly, you are close to the MK and can get there by boat.

As a pp mentioned the cabins (and also the suites) accommodate 6, so once the baby turns 3, if you want to stay on property for your next trip you'll need to get two rooms (hopefully adjoining) at the resort of your choice, or a 2BR DVC unit, which can be pricey, or tent or RV camp at FW.

SFTrny
08-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Our family consists of 2 adults and 5 children... 13, 11, 11, 4, and 1...
What are the considerations based on age??

The cabins have a bedroom with a double bed and bunk beds. In the living room is a double size Murphy bed. It will a little crowded with 7 in the cabin, but...
- You have a full size kitchen which will be great with the kids. Breakfast, snacks, and a few dinners in the cabin save a lot of money.
- The cabin also has a nice deck with a grill. If you have nice weather, you will have extra space for people to relax and play.
- Lots of open space at FW, and no shared walls with neighbors!