PDA

View Full Version : coming out of mostly "lurk" mode to ask a lot of trip planning questions :)!

EPCOTcoffeegirl
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
:mickey: Hey there hi there ho there Intercot peoples!

My family is DEF not new to the World--DM and DD used to go before us kids even came into the picture and I did the college program in 02 so we know the ins and outs and the traditional things that WE do

but here's the sitch: My mom, brother, my dear friend, and myself will be going the week after Mardis Gras (March 2-7 is the tentative date set as of now).

The difference is that we'll be going for the first time without our fearless leader and Disney Dad , as he passed away unexpectedly this past April :(

We usually stay in All Star Music (broadway!), and there are restaurants we always frequent and shows we always see...we don't want to alter this TOO much but we want to try some "new" things too!

Disney Friend stayed at Pop Century last December and loved it, so we plan on staying there--

We are thinking about doing the preferred rooms but is there really a difference? We've stayed in back parts of Value resorts for years and have never really minded the walk, but want to treat ourselves if this is worth it.

If it doesn't make any difference, what section of pop do you like the best? I think the 80s would be nifty!

We usually eat our lunchtime meal at MK at Columbia Harbor House, but as the Hall of Presidents will be in refurb while we're there, I was thinking Liberty Tree for lunch. Pros/Cons of LT? My brother has autism and typically likes to eat simple meat and potatoes types of things would we find him something to eat there?

Photopass is totally new to us! We haven't been since 04 btw so a LOT of stuff will be new to us actually...anyway, my mom and i LOVE park pictures and usually buy at least two ride photos and two character photos and one in front of the different park "weenies" (hee hee, one of my favorite silly Waltisms). Can someone explain or send me to a good explanation or price breakdown of photopass packages etc? As I understand its an easy way to view pics through your whole trip but there are things you can do when you get home

Thanks for your info or any extra ideas or "must dos" for these old hands looking forward to remembering our father through a new trip and seeing old things with new eyes!

disneyfan328
08-07-2008, 01:01 PM
The only thing that I can reallly help you with on this is Photopass.

I will say that we stayed at ASmu and we thought broadway bldg was a little bit of a hike, but hey if you didn't mind it then go for it. I would say to check out the resort map here on intercot of POP and see what you think. I believe that a bldg closer to the front is all that a preferred room gets you - I don't believe there is anything else special.

As for Photopass - you will love it. There is another thread in this forum with some details on how to pre order it for a discounted fee.

Here is what I know
Price is $ 124.95 - you can save 20% (for a cost of 99.95) if you pre- order the Cd. you can find the other thread and there is a link to where you can order it. They will give you a code that you will need to keep. Once you get home and enter all of your photopass card numbers into your account you can add borders, little icons with the year ect, character signatures ect. Once you are all done (by the way your original picture is saved and any edits that you do adds more pictures to your account) you can go to check out and enter your code and they will ship it out to you with the copyright info so that you can print as many copies of whatever you want at wal greens, wal mart ect.

You can add the ride photo from Test track to your account, but that is the only ride photo that you can at this point. You can add meal photos like chef mickeys and CRT but you have to purchase the photo package in order to do it. At CRT it is included in the price of your meal, but at CM and the other places where you can get your pic taken you have to buy the package and the photo code is on the pictures. You can get as many pictures as you want. There are photopass photographers all over the place. There is also another thread on here with the "special" photopass photo listed. You can get the "tink" photo which will end up with you holding your cupped hands and looking surprised and then they digitally image her into your hands. they are too neat. there is one with simba at the AK and Stitch at the studios, plus they have added a bunch more. I don't remember all the details but do a search for that thread and I am sure you will find it.

The price for 4x6 pictures once you are home is like 12.95 each so I think it is well worth it to buy the CD and have them all.

You can get a photopass card from any photographer in the parks and add as many as you have all into one account when you get home, in case you leave it in the room one day or get separated from the rest of your party and run into one of the photographers.

I am sorry to hear about your fathers passing. I am sure this trip is going to be a mix of new feelings and emotions about being at Disney and I hope that all of the good memories that you have come flooding back to you and that you make new ones as well. Remember that your Dad is always with you and will be watching you as you enjoy something that you always did together. In the words of the Lion King, remember he lives on in you!

Faver
08-07-2008, 01:45 PM
:mickey: And I can help you with POP!

We always stayed in the 80's,and we love it!!! It's further back on the resort, so there's more walking, however it's quiet and we've never been disturbed by the pool or loud guests.

Definitely do the 80's

Have a wonderful time:thumbsup:

shepherdgirl
08-07-2008, 03:06 PM
We love the Liberty Tree Tavern and we are meat and potato people. The turkey meal is great with stuffing and mashed potatoes and the pot roast is also very good. I'm sure you can find menus on-line to help you too.

KAT1811
08-07-2008, 03:37 PM
:The difference is that we'll be going for the first time without our fearless leader and Disney Dad , as he passed away unexpectedly this past April :(

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

Now as far as your vacation is concerned:

I wouldn't bother paying for the "prefered" rooms if you are used to staying far out and don't mind the walk. IMHO the rooms are the same and the walk alone isn't worth the extra money. Some times we've lucked out and been placed in "prefered" rooms upon checkin.

To try some new things:

Maybe try a new restaurant (Le Cellier, Yachtsman Steakhouse, or Shula's has tons of meat and potatoes!)
Go see The Electrical Water Parade from one of the MK resorts one night.
Head over to FW for a trail, hay, or carriage ride.
Head over to FW for the campfire and movie (don't forget to make smores while you're there)
Go to DTD and see La Nouba
Get a late ADR (as close to park closing as possible) at an Epcot restaurant and enjoy the almost empty park as you leave.
Try a new character meal you've never done
Bring a Hidden Mickey Book and see how many you can find.
Get an autograph book and collect as many signatures as you can
Get a "passport" in Epcot and collect the stamps and notes from around the "world"

Just have as much fun as possible!!! Are there any specific things you were thinking of trying? Maybe with a little direction we could be more help.

EPCOTcoffeegirl
08-07-2008, 06:11 PM
thanks for getting back so quickly with responses! :)

we're all looking forward to Pop...I'm a pop culture nut anyway, and we honestly enjoy the value resorts over the moderate ones because we like walking to a central bus location as opposed to having to "ride around" to the bus stops at CS or CBR.

I was a little one in the 80s and always associate my best memories during that decade with Disney anyway, so we'll probably request it! :)

Does anyone ever notice the bunnies out there like you sometimes see at ASMu?

Also one other question...has anyone ever been the 1st week in March? I know usually that's near Easter but it's later this year--and it was easier for us all to get off work the week AFTER Mardi Gras since we are in La and everyone requests that week off. Is the weather coolish?

I worked there Aug-Jan and those are typically the months we vacation, so March will be new :)

Bringonthemouse!
08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
You can pre-order your photopass here (http://www.disneyphotopass.com/previsitcdplan.aspx). It is cheaper if you pre-order and if you decide against it after your vacation is over, they will give you a refund.

As for Pop Century tips, I would like to share my favourite with you. We Always request a room in the back of the 50's section, 4th floor so we can see Spaceship Earth at EPCOT from our room. This view also allows us to see night-time fireworks at MK and Epcot (very magical:cloud9:). We grab a bucket of popcorn and the chairs from our room and sit out on the "balcony" (AKA: walkway) and enjoy the sites at night. These rooms are also VERY quiet, with hardly any foot traffic passing by. And YES, there are bunnies and other wildlife everywhere at Pop.

I can't give you any insight into the weather as I am from Ontario and no Orlando temps. are ever cool for me ;).

Have a great time planning and keep asking oodles of questions here on Intercot.
:mickey: