PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Washington, DC ?

DCDisney
08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
I am sooo used to planning trips to WDW, that I am dazed and confused while planning a trip to Wash DC. It will just 2 adults, who have seen parts of the city & monuments as kids. We will be staying at a hotel (not yet chosen, but will use hotel program points) near the monuments, etc. We will be driving to the city. We will be there for 3 nights.

What suggestions or tips do you have for things to see, ways to get around the city between attractions, or ways to save money ?

Thanks in advance ! :blush:

thrillme
08-07-2008, 12:35 PM
We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Alexandria Virgina. Quite reasonable and great shuttle service to the Metro. The Metro was a great way to get down to DC. I didn't master it but you could buy and all day ticket. We spent a lot of time in the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress.

barnaby
08-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I am taking my kids (8 & 14) for the first time in the fall, so I am in the same boat.

You can get a free visitors guide at http://www.washington.org/visiting/browse-dc/interactive-visitors-guide

minnie-mouse
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Hyatt Regency Washington on NJ Avenue is really nice and within walking distance to the Capitol and mall, and monuments. Although the closer you are to monuments, the more expensive hotels get.

It is also within walking distance from Union station, where you can catch the metro. I suggest taking the metro to attractions. It is very eay to use, clean and relatively safe (nothing like NY subway).
'
Air & Space museum is great (kids like that too). The tour of the mint is one of my faves too.

Faver
08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I have a few suggestions, being from DC....

1. The Crime & Punishment Museum (take the metro to Gallery Place stop)
2. The Native American Museum (it's on the mall, up the street from the Air & Space Museum and right near the Capitol Building)
3. Georgetown, for a great dinner, and perhaps a boat ride on the Potomac (take a cab)
4. The FDR Memorial (no metro stop, like most monuments, walk, tour guide bus, or cab)
5. Do a night tour of the monuments... it's even more beautiful at night!

Have fun:)

DNS
08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
D.C. is one of my favorite places to go. It's an incredible place and the history and power just engulf me. I agree that the monuments at night are even more beautiful. I would recommend Arlington National Cemetery and tours of the U.S. Capital building and U.S. Supreme Court. Those are my favorites. Also, George Washington's estate and gardens and the Botanic Garden. One thing about D.C. is that there is so much to do there that doesn't cost.

biodtl
08-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I love visiting DC and have done it both with the family and alone. I can not stress enough that the Metro is the way to go - don't even consider taking your car.

I enjoy all the museums, as well as the zoo and the monuments - especially since I finally got to see the WWII one on my last trip.

princessimagineer
08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
this thread reminds me that im moving into college in 2 weekend down in DC

we stayed in a nice hilton in the middle of chinatown. the metro is great for EVERYTHING. are you considering going to the smithsonians or the zoo perhaps?

Aggie97
08-08-2008, 09:21 AM
1. The Crime & Punishment Museum (take the metro to Gallery Place stop)
3. Georgetown, for a great dinner, and perhaps a boat ride on the Potomac (take a cab)

We toured the new Crime & Punishment Museum over Memorial Day weekend and really enjoyed it. We also had dinner at Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown, which was great.

The Metro definitely is the best way to get to most places -- extremely easy to use.

The Smithsonian museums and zoo are fantastic. I've always loved the National Gallery of Art too (also free).

It's nice to walk around the waterfront and shops in Old Town Alexandria and have lunch or dinner.

If you are into history, they have made a lot of cool enhancements to the Mount Vernon visitor experience.

We used to live in the DC area (1999-2004) and always enjoy going back for visits. Have a great time! :)

I_am_ts
08-08-2008, 07:35 PM
If you contact your local Congressperson they can arrange a tour of the Capitol too. You need a minimum of 30 days and hoops to jump through for clearance.

The Metro is a great way to get around in DC.

We also enjoyed a Double Decker bus tour.

Have fun!

Advnt05
08-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Identify which museums need tickets or reservations and plan to get those early. I went many years ago so it might have changed. The Holocaust museum and the Spy museum both required those and were in hot demand.

I second the idea to contact your congressman (either senate or house). They can get you tickets to get into an active session if any are going on that day. Tour passes and autographed photos are sometimes available.

I love the town. Always gives me goose bumps. You should also consider going out of town if you get bored to see Mt Vernon and some of the neighboring sites.

DCDisney
08-13-2008, 12:02 PM
That's a good point, about reservations or tickets. Does anybody know for sure which ones need them ?

So far, the crime and holocaust museums. And, I heard that the Washington Monument requires them. Anyone else have experience and know of others ? :confused:

princessesmom
08-14-2008, 10:56 AM
We visited DC for the first time with our 4 children this past April. We stayed at an Embassy Suites near Georgetown. There was also a Marriott right across the street. Great location, we walked over to Georgetown two evenings for dinner. Lots of choices and very quaint. A couple of people had recommened The Tombs to us - Georgetown bar, very old and cool, very reasonable for dinner. There are several chain type restaurants very close to the hotel as well (Fridays, etc.). There was also a metro stop two blocks away (Foggy Bottom). We got everywhere via the metro.

As for tickets we contacted our reps and senator and got tickets for a capital tour and for the bureau of engraving and printing. I recommend both. We asked for White House tickets but we not able to get them (3 separate requests). We were there during a very busy week, though (spring break for the northeast schools). The person who gave us the capital tour said that week in DC is the equivalent of WDW at Christmas. You might have more luck getting tickets if you're going at a less busy time.

A few weeks before we left I found out you could request private tours at the National Archives. I was too late, so we weren't able to get one. But if we go again I will definitely request the tour. We went there anyway, but had to wait in a very long line to get in and then had to wait in another line to see the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. If you go to their website, there is information about requesting the tours.

The Portrait Gallery (part of the Smithsonians and right across the street from the SPY Museum) is very interesting. My parents were able to get onto a tour there which they really enjoyed. Unfortunately my 4 year old was not interested, so I spent a lot of time out on the portico with her having a snack.

All the monuments are great to visit. We did the tourmobile one day to minimize some of the walking. We picked it up at Arlington and toured the cementary and then it took us to the monuments around DC. We didn't have time to see the FDR, but saw most of the others. Our favorite was the WWII and Lincoln.

The Old Post Office is cool to see, also. There is a big food court there is you're looking for a quick lunch place. There is tower you can go up which is suppose to have a good view of the city. It was raining when we were there, so we didn't do it.

Enjoy!

momof3+twins
08-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Make sure to check out the Ford Theater and the home where Lincoln died. If you research, I am sure there is more Lincoln history there than these two things.

Lynn J Mc
08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
We were just there in May and Ford's Theater was closed, not sure when it is supposed to reopen. The open-topped bus tours looked fun but we didn't get to do that, I plan to do one next May. Also research the DC Circulator on-line. It is reasonable and runs only downtown so not as confusing as the Metro.

IamBelle
08-22-2008, 10:07 AM
I went to DC for the first time in May, and are planning to go back next year. We stayed at the Hilton in Greenbelt, MD. It is a nice hotel, but we took our own buses to DC, I'm not sure if the hotel also has transportation.
I loved seeing the monuments (especially the Korean Memorial) at night. They look more spectacular when they are lit up. I also enjoyed the Library of Congress, and the Air and Space Museum. I also recommend that you tour the mint, but I heard you have to walk on a catwalk-like thing above where they make the money. Also, try to drive down Massachusetts Ave. (seeing the different embassys are cool)
Not too far away in Virginia is George Wahington's house, Mt. Vernon. It is huge! They have a visitor's center with some of their belongings (including George's teeth!) You can also tour the house (but the line gets very long)

Have fun on your trip!
IamBelle